• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The cliche of 'your best ability is your availability' rings so true for a lot of players.

I often wonder what makes some players injury-prone and others seem indestructible.
I think more important is how injured players can still deliver on one leg (because they are all wounded)

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Combination of luck and your body it seems. He doesn't seem to sit out not playing through an issue. It's always something that is surgery and long term.

You start wondering how much it shortens a career when your body clearly has a lot of damage on it.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There have been some damn good players who contibuted a lot less to the Wallabies than they may have due to injury. Ben Tune is one that springs to mind, a real class winger who seemed to be constantly getting busted. Wright is such a player, and I was beginning to wonder whether Angus Bell might be another.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I always thought Peter Hynes could've been an all time Wallaby if it wasn't for injury. Had a phenomenal rookie season for the wallabies in 2008 but after that his knees just blew up on him and couldn't string games together.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I always thought Peter Hynes could've been an all time Wallaby if it wasn't for injury. Had a phenomenal rookie season for the wallabies in 2008 but after that his knees just blew up on him and couldn't string games together.
I’ve posted it before, but him and Hugh MMM are my two big ‘what ifs’. Such a shame.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There have been some damn good players who contibuted a lot less to the Wallabies than they may have due to injury. Ben Tune is one that springs to mind, a real class winger who seemed to be constantly getting busted. Wright is such a player, and I was beginning to wonder whether Angus Bell might be another.

There’s been a few promising tall backrowers whose test careers never took off through injury…

Hugh McMeniman, Daniel Heenan, Peter Kimlin.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
We had an embarrassment of riches in the back row at that time until very suddenly we didn’t, marked by the inexplicable cessation of Fardy’s career and injuries blunting Pocock’s impact at the same time jackalling became harder under the laws. Kimlin would have done very well if they had still been around. From memory he did have injuries but more so cashed in after the 2013 exposure he got?

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kimlin had been out of the test frame for a few years with a run of injuries over that time, and I don't think he played two consecutive seasons until the Jake White years and then by that stage was already looking overseas...

But as always seems to be the case was in the best form of his career in 2013 and Deans did include him in the wider Lions training squad, and then I believe he got injured again at the end of the Super Rugby season before he went overseas.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Hugh McMeniman definitely the biggest one for me who could have been an all-time great Wallaby.

I recall someone telling me he has pretty much played the same number of games for the Reds and he did for the Wallabies. Just shows how good he was that he was pretty much always included in Wallabies teams when fit, even if he was barely playing Super Rugby.

Alex Sharpe

Sydney Middleton (9)
We had an embarrassment of riches in the back row at that time until very suddenly we didn’t, marked by the inexplicable cessation of Fardy’s career and injuries blunting Pocock’s impact at the same time jackalling became harder under the laws. Kimlin would have done very well if they had still been around. From memory he did have injuries but more so cashed in after the 2013 exposure he got?
Still probably the worst thing Cheika did. Dean Mumm over Scott Fardy never made sense

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Those were some big bodies in Scott hugh and kimlin
It does feel like this equivalent bodies left to nrl after that generation
It’s the big back rowers and centers we are missing now.
Feels like second rowers were competing against afl a bit these days

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
The excellent performance of Fiji over Japan; and the AB test: Australia drops to #10.

Ranking shifts
And Ireland regains top spot

Screen Shot 2024-09-22 at 9.08.44 am.png

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Rankings pretty meaningless at this time of year, Ireland and Italy both benefitting by virtue of not playing anyone. We haven't been able to climb off the rankings canvas since Eddie's double point losses to Fiji and Wales. After the NH tours it will provide a more accurate picture.