• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thoughts on 12. Ikiatu 13. Sua'ali'i?

I think Ikitau is a bit underrated as a ball player and 12 is a glaring weakness atm. Adding Sua'ali'i into the centres would help deal with our size limitations. Maybe have Petaia on one wing when fit (if ever) and suddenly we have a bit of power in the backline again.
12 - Kerevi. 13 - Sua'ali'i
Otherwise Lenny at 12 could work. Paisami as well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Most test props will play a half and a bit these days. Look at SA. They split the time between starters and the bomb squad front row.
You would expect our props to play through the first half and then go for another 10-15 in the second after a break if required. With most opposition we should be able to replace our front row as they do. The Boks are an anomaly.
What happened to Nonggorr? He seemed to be coming along well and his scrum work was holding up.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Most test props will play a half and a bit these days. Look at SA. They split the time between starters and the bomb squad front row.
You would expect our props to play through the first half and then go for another 10-15 in the second after a break if required. With most opposition we should be able to replace our front row as they do. The Boks are an anomaly.
What happened to Nonggorr? He seemed to be coming along well and his scrum work was holding up.

It always strikes me as odd to hook a prop just before or at half time. They've got 10 mins to get their breath back. And then a high intensity push knowing they will be coming off.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
As long as he is fit for the Lions. I'm more worried about who subs on for him. AAA seems way off his best.
AAA scrummaging not up to standard. Depth behind him is poor. It seems Robertson must be working on THP, as he is ahead of Nonggoor - then Talakai, Pone and Hoskins are overseas (Pone probably to become PI eligible by the WC), and the Eloff project seems to be over.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Christ, he hasn’t even played a game yet and he’s already replaced one of our best players…
Yeah, well there is that. He is a big strong bloke who is dominant in League and played rugby for most of his life. Cheika thinks he will be very good and we are struggling in the midfield. Our best right now ain’t getting it done.
I’d guess 13 or 15 will be his gig eventually, like Folau.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, well there is that. He is a big strong bloke who is dominant in League and played rugby for most of his life. Cheika thinks he will be very good and we are struggling in the midfield. Our best right now ain’t getting it done.
I’d guess 13 or 15 will be his gig eventually, like Folau.

Folau’s test career never took off in the centres…

Our issues in the midfield lie at 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Folau’s test career never took off in the centres…

Our issues in the midfield lie at 12.
Folau was much better at 15 but that was where we needed him and he did not have the history in the game that Sua'ali'i has.
Lenny is also an option to move to 12. That is a long way off from now.
As it stands the centre partnerships we have had over the past few years have lacked size and penetration. Kerevi was there. Paisami as well mostly with Ikitau at 13, save for Jones short time in charge.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Folau was much better at 15 but that was where we needed him and he did not have the history in the game that Sua'ali'i has.
As it stands the centre partnerships we have had over the past few years have lacked size and penetration. Kerevi was there. Paisami as well mostly with Ikitau at 13, save for Jones short time in charge.
The supposed fullback who couldn’t kick or pass a ball. Winger all day and we played him at the back. Imagine how many tries he would have scored as a winger?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Historically, Sua’aali’i played on the wing for the Australian Schoolboys five years ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if he spends a significant amount of time there readjusting to the game…

And in my view, shifting Ikitau to inside centre weakens two positions.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Historically, Sua’aali’i played on the wing for the Australian Schoolboys five years ago and I wouldn’t be surprised if he spends a significant amount of time there readjusting to the game…

Yeah, while Sua'ali'i may eventually end up in the centres he really doesn't have any experience there to see him slot straight in. I'd be very surprised if Schmidt tries to rush him in there next year, particularly given we've got the lions first up. Much more likely the aim is to use him in the back three so he can hit the ground running, and that's where he'll spend the vast majority of his time for both tahs and wallabies next year.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Yeah, while Sua'ali'i may eventually end up in the centres he really doesn't have any experience there to see him slot straight in. I'd be very surprised if Schmidt tries to rush him in there next year, particularly given we've got the lions first up. Much more likely the aim is to use him in the back three so he can hit the ground running, and that's where he'll spend the vast majority of his time for both tahs and wallabies next year.
He was a center/fullback in the younger age groups. He played on the wing in the 1sts when he was picked there in year 9, and mostly there again in year 10 where he was also picked in Aus schools. The following year was Covid so he didn’t play, and he wasn’t alllowed to play in year 12 due to his league contract. It was expected that he would either be centre partner with Will Penisi or at fullback. I’m not suggesting any of that equates to useful rugby centres experience, only that I wouldn’t read too much into him playing on the wing. He wasn’t on the wing in league for long before they moved him to the centres.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Taniela had a rough year personally and unfortunately started drinking alcohol for the first time in his life once he moved to Melbourne.

With everything going on at the Rebels they didn’t have the resources/desire to help him navigate some of those issues. A number of his mates from QLD ended up trying to slow the big guy down before something bad happened.

Anyway, hopefully he’s mentally and physically on the improve.