• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
It was clearly just an example about how other sports actually make players take their training seriously

but sure, let’s only focus on that and ignore the overall point that our highest paid player can’t last a half of rugby and that’s supposedly acceptable

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
It was clearly just an example about how other sports actually make players take their training seriously

but sure, let’s only focus on that and ignore the overall point that our highest paid player can’t last a half of rugby and that’s supposedly acceptable
I don't think anyone's suggesting Tupou's fitness is of an acceptable standard - including the man himself. It is, however, somewhat understandable that a bloke of his size, position, and frequent use as an impact player is taking a while to get his match fitness back after a significant leg injury.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)

Go compare him against other tighthead props.

This international season average minutes
Tupou: 50'
Malherbe: 49'
Atonio: 48'
Lomax: 48'

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't think anyone's suggesting Tupou's fitness is of an acceptable standard - including the man himself. It is, however, somewhat understandable that a bloke of his size, position, and frequent use as an impact player is taking a while to get his match fitness back after a significant leg injury.
Tyrel Lomax doesn't struggle to play 35 minutes

It's bigger than Tupou. I don't think our players in general are fit enough, because they aren't trained hard enough. That why our players always seem to improve when they go overseas

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Meanwhile, Lomax's minutes this year: 51, 54, 58, 50, 58, and 72 on the weekend.
1726122466533.png

1726122484996.png
h

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All.rugby uses the northern hemisphere seasons, so those stats will include last year's world cup an warm ups. Basically everything after last years rugby championship

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not sure where you’re sourcing that from, but it’s not right…

For starters, Tupou has only played four tests this year and has definitely not played the second half in most of them.

New Zealand haven’t played twelve tests this year either.
Yeah alright I’ll stop using all.rugby, I’ve been burnt before

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Squad announced:

Wallabies squad for Bledisloe Cup series (Wallaby number, first Australian Rugby club)
Forwards (19)

Allan Ala'alatoa (#896, West Harbour Juniors)
Angus Bell (#940, Hunters Hill Rugby Club)
Josh Canham (#987, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
Matt Faessler (#969, USQ Saints)
Nick Frost (#953, Hornsby Lions)
Langi Gleeson (#960, Harbord Harlequins)
Tom Hooper (#964, Bathurst Bulldogs)
Isaac Kailea (#975, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
Fraser McReight (#937, Albany Creek Brumbies)
Josh Nasser (#979, Easts Rugby (Brisbane))
Brandon Paenga-Amosa (#918, Southern Districts)
Tom Robertson (#898, Dubbo Kangaroos)
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (#914, Randwick)
James Slipper (#843, Bond Pirates)
Carlo Tizzano (#982, University of Western Australia)
Taniela Tupou (#917, Brothers Rugby)
Rob Valetini (#929, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
Jeremy Williams (#973, Wahroonga Tigers)
Harry Wilson (#933, Gunnedah Red Devils)

Backs (17)

Ben Donaldson (#962, Clovelly Eagles)
David Feliuai (uncapped, Sunnybank Dragons)
Josh Flook (#972, Brothers Rugby)
Jake Gordon (#925, Canterbury Juniors)
Len Ikitau (#944, Tuggeranong Vikings)
Max Jorgensen (#984, Balmain Wolves)
Andrew Kellaway (#943, Hunters Hill Rugby Club)
Marika Koroibete (#913, Nasinu Secondary School, Fiji)
Noah Lolesio (#934, Tuggeranong Vikings)
Tom Lynagh (#977, University of Queensland)
Tate McDermott (#936, Flinders Rugby Club)
Hunter Paisami (#932, Harlequin Junior Rugby Club)
Dylan Pietsch (#978, Leeton Phantoms)
Hamish Stewart (#986, Toowoomba Bears)
Corey Toole (uncapped, Wagga Waratahs)
Nic White (#875, Maitland Blacks)
Tom Wright (#939, Clovelly Eagles)

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thoughts on 12. Ikiatu 13. Sua'ali'i?

I think Ikitau is a bit underrated as a ball player and 12 is a glaring weakness atm. Adding Sua'ali'i into the centres would help deal with our size limitations. Maybe have Petaia on one wing when fit (if ever) and suddenly we have a bit of power in the backline again.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Thoughts on 12. Ikiatu 13. Sua'ali'i?

I think Ikitau is a bit underrated as a ball player and 12 is a glaring weakness atm. Adding Sua'ali'i into the centres would help deal with our size limitations. Maybe have Petaia on one wing when fit (if ever) and suddenly we have a bit of power in the backline again.
Other way around I reckon i.e. 12. Sua'ali'i 13. Ikitau.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
He’s the highest paid player in the country and couldn’t last more than 20 minutes of a super rugby game and asked to be taken off after 35 minutes of a test match

He’s a disgrace, clearly doesn’t take his training seriously and you seem to act as if that acceptable from a pro athlete. Soccer clubs send players home for being .5 of a % over their optimal BMI
Maybe the coaches at the Rebels and Wallabies dont know how to motivate him?

I have no idea where to look up minutes per Super Rugby game while he was at the Reds but prior to his injuries I would guess he was averaging 70 minutes and played some 80 minute games. The bench THP hardly got on the field for a couple of seasons.

Who knows, maybe his is lazy and fell out with Thorn because he actually worked him hard?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)

I have no idea where to look up minutes per Super Rugby game while he was at the Reds but prior to his injuries I would guess he was averaging 70 minutes and played some 80 minute games. The bench THP hardly got on the field for a couple of seasons.

Who knows, maybe his is lazy and fell out with Thorn because he actually worked him hard?
TT played more than twenty 70+min games in 2020 and 2021, including at least two 90minute extra time games, include the SRAu final. But that was when he was 25

It does sound like this "flogging" is what the Rebels and Wallabby S&C guys are blaming for the last few years of his career.

I do think you have a choice with him, you either have high impact, and lower minutes, or lower impact and higher minutes. The days of high impact and high minutes for tupou seem to be done. It was an amazing (probably unprecedented) performance when he could do it.

Last edited:

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
We do see occasional asinine comments here.
Yeah what's the deal there, I know Tupou had some serious injuries, then a rough year where he was unfit, but his time at the Red's he was regularly playing 80 mins and going great guns in Super. I'd suspect he will get better in Wallaby camps and have a great season next year with the Tahs.

Or maybe not

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

There was a line from one of the Tah's trainers "you can have the best program set out, but you can't stop them from driving through KFC or stopping at the pub on the way home"