• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, but we don't have to make excuses simply because he happened to play for your Super Team either

The question we should be asking is why cant any of these guys just step up when given the chance
Well it was against NZ in a Bledisloe in a game we got roundly beaten in as a team. Not many players are going to look great debuting in those conditions.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Well it was against NZ in a Bledisloe in a game we got roundly beaten in as a team. Not many players are going to look great debuting in those conditions.
True, my point is more of an overall one. Would be nice for a change to have someone come in and look the part straight away instead of needing to always give players excuses

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
Oh the overall point about players not stepping up? It's because they aren't that good. See @Pfitzy's 72,000 iterations of the development pathway rant.
Then why are tons of Australian players succeeding around the world?

We clearly have the talent, otherwise top clubs from around the world wouldn't continuously poach our players. It must have more to do with lack of preparation and poor training methods for professionals here

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

We clearly have the talent, otherwise top clubs from around the world wouldn't continuously poach our players. It must have more to do with lack of preparation and poor training methods for professionals here
Man. Its because they play in comps with more diluted talent than Super Rugby combined with the fact they are being exposed to more professional training and development programs than what is available in rugby here.

It's not like we are regularly producing Dan Carter level players but we are losing them overseas. We produce plenty of mid-range rugby players that would bolster the Wallabies by providing depth but aren't of themselves enormous upgrades on who we have available (when everyone is fit).

As soon as we get a handful of injuries our crippling lack of depth destroys any level of competitiveness we could have had.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
dUc0OvV.jpg

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)

1) As @Derpus says, those comps aren't exactly Test Rugby
BUT
2) Once they get into a pro environment with more than a dozen games a year their development lifts accordingly.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
shit meme click-bait, post a link to the article/quote
With the inquest already starting, Muliaina has criticised the current incarnation of Super Rugby, which got rid of South Africa in 2020, for negatively impacting the national team.

It is now a primarily Antipodean tournament, but Australia have struggled to be competitive against the New Zealand franchises.

“I don’t think our competitions are healthy. Our competitions aren’t turning our up-and-comers into quality, world-class All Blacks,” he said on Sky Sports’ Breakdown.

“They’re going out there in pressure situations and that’s where they’re folding. You can’t teach that at the lower grades because we’re playing against the Aussies.

“The South Africans have found their groove because they’ve gone overseas and played hardened rugby, but they’ve also got a style of rugby which also suits them.

“We’ve got to find that in our competitions. I don’t agree that our competitions are as competitive as what they should be.”

Unsure why we're copping the bullets, NZRU were the ones who dicked over the Saffers. Perhaps Mils would be better off focussing his energy at NZRU and getting all nations involved with Super Rugby to make a better and more competitive competition?

In saying that, was Mils complaining when the Crusaders won the what, 20th title last year?

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)

Unsure why we're copping the bullets, NZRU were the ones who dicked over the Saffers. Perhaps Mils would be better off focussing his energy at NZRU and getting all nations involved with Super Rugby to make a better and more competitive competition?

In saying that, was Mils complaining when the Crusaders won the what, 20th title last year?

Agreed it's a tone-deaf statement, even if you remove the Australian teams from the equation, is he saying that the NZ teams aren't competitive enough with one another to encourage development?

Maybe ousting RSA from Super Rugby wasn't the smartest move after all eh...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought everyone here knew what he said. Actually I thought that I was late with the news
You are late. It was so lacking in noteworthiness from Muliaina that it did not bear repeating.
Aus rugby is the easy target currently. Irish blowhards blame us for diminishing the sanctions on head-knocks, Saffers think we are sabotaging scrums, and now the Kiwis think we made them suck.
I never knew that we were the keystone of World Rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You are late. It was so lacking in noteworthiness from Muliaina that it did not bear repeating.
Aus rugby is the easy target currently. Irish blowhards blame us for diminishing the sanctions on head-knocks, Saffers think we are sabotaging scrums, and now the Kiwis think we made them suck.
I never knew that we were the keystone of World Rugby.

And the English think we're trying to turn the game into rugby league...

It's incredible that despite this Machiavellian level of influence over the game, we still suck.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
1) As @Derpus says, those comps aren't exactly Test Rugby
BUT
2) Once they get into a pro environment with more than a dozen games a year their development lifts accordingly.
1) These are the same comps that all the worlds best players play in though
2) That’s my point. We have the talent but we don’t train them hard enough. Taniela Tupou treats rugby season like a holiday

dru

David Wilson (68)
1) These are the same comps that all the worlds best players play in though
2) That’s my point. We have the talent but we don’t train them hard enough. Taniela Tupou treats rugby season like a holiday

We do see occasional asinine comments here.

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
We do see occasional asinine comments here.
He’s the highest paid player in the country and couldn’t last more than 20 minutes of a super rugby game and asked to be taken off after 35 minutes of a test match

He’s a disgrace, clearly doesn’t take his training seriously and you seem to act as if that acceptable from a pro athlete. Soccer clubs send players home for being .5 of a % over their optimal BMI

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He’s the highest paid player in the country and couldn’t last more than 20 minutes of a super rugby game and asked to be taken off after 35 minutes of a test match

He’s a disgrace, clearly doesn’t take his training seriously and you seem to act as if that acceptable from a pro athlete. Soccer clubs send players home for being .5 of a % over their optimal BMI

I hope we don't start punishing our players for increasing their BMI, particularly our props.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

BMI - renowned for being a reliable indicator of fitness in tall and/or muscular individuals