• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not quite to the same extent as McMahon, but Liam Gill has also been barely playing, not sure if he's been injured but hasn't played at all in 2024.

His team signed Jasper Weise recently, which may mean Gill doesn't have a spot in the roster with Kerevi and Folau already on the books as well

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've maintained for some time that a deal with the JRU probably helps us with international player availability and we could also have some competition cross over and additional games for our teams.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've said it plenty of times before but time and distance makes the heart grow fonder. Even people on these pages aren't watching Top14, ProD2, Premiership or Top League. One person reads a report that a player is going alright the next minute in the echo chamber of Aussie rugby (usually here or the roar before a journo picks it up). Now that doesn't mean there isnt some truth to it, just that these calls that xyz should be in the wallabies immediately should be taken with a gain of salt.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
RA should setup relationships with a team in all major domestic leagues. Allow players to be selected if they play with those teams. Do coaching/back office swaps development also.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I've said it plenty of times before but time and distance makes the heart grow fonder. Even people on these pages aren't watching Top14, ProD2, Premiership or Top League. One person reads a report that a player is going alright the next minute in the echo chamber of Aussie rugby (usually here or the roar before a journo picks it up). Now that doesn't mean there isnt some truth to it, just that these calls that xyz should be in the wallabies immediately should be taken with a gain of salt.
But surely you agree that we've had 15+ players leave Australian shores, well in their prime, who were Wallaby squad members? This isn't just people cashing in on their retirement, the situation has changed. This is whole team of players who are at their fittest, and when they left Australia, were wearing Gold.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
But surely you agree that we've had 15+ players leave Australian shores, well in their prime, who were Wallaby squad members? This isn't just people cashing in on their retirement, the situation has changed. This is whole team of players who are at their fittest, and when they left Australia, were wearing Gold.
Yes, it’s the reality of our selection pool. Even if the best XV is currently playing in Australia it would still be of benefit to open selections for depth and competitiveness reasons.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A couple of ex-players dishing out some hot takes...

Wasn't it mentioned recently that McMahon hasn't played in over two years?

There’s Matt Philip, Richie Arnold, Rory Arnold. I wouldn’t say they’re better than [Carlo] Tizzano and [Harry] Wilson, but the competition there, you’ve got four strong options to pick from.

Why would anybody, particulary an ex-Wallaby compare 3 locks with members of our current backrow? Not as though they are in competition for spots, despite what he said in that passage.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree it's different to what it was 20 years ago (especially this last season) but names being thrown about aren't the ones who left this year. It was Gill, McMahon, Sio, Phillip, Arnolds (one who is shit and one who hasn't played for 18mths). The attention Kerr-Barlow got on these pages (a 34yr old halfback) again what a load of rubbish. People call for these players and nobody really calls them out because they aren't watching the leagues either.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
This was odd but let’s not let it detract from the message.
We could be picking from Frost, Blyth etc plus Arnold Arnold Skelton and Phillip.
I’m not sure offshore picks offer us much outside locks tho?
McMahon barely played and has always been injury prone. He was good for sure but that’s ages ago
Liam Gill was always the great savior but never did it on the world stage for me.
Are either really going to be better than mcreight or Valetini?
No fly halves or 9s I’m aware of?
Centers? Kerevi who has been in the mix. Anyone else genuinely up there?
Wings? Fullbacks? Jack maddocks all that springs to mind.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree it's different to what it was 20 years ago (especially this last season) but names being thrown about aren't the ones who left this year. It was Gill, McMahon, Sio, Phillip, Arnolds (one who is shit and one who hasn't played for 18mths). The attention Kerr-Barlow got on these pages (a 34yr old halfback) again what a load of rubbish. People call for these players and nobody really calls them out because they aren't watching the leagues either.
Outside the locks these are kind of nonsense inclusions.
Genuinely who is a star we are missing?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Right so there’s no one you are naming right now to be in the wallabies?
Yes if we could get all those players back from overseas into a non existent and somehow professional competition we’d be sweet but….

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Right so there’s no one you are naming right now to be in the wallabies?
Yes if we could get all those players back from overseas into a non existent and somehow professional competition we’d be sweet but….
I could probably name a whole team but it's just entirely beside the point.

Who really gives a fuck if one overseas player makes us 3% better than horse piss? no one. The player drain doesn't matter on an individual basis. It's always been the cumulative effect.