• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
A week after suggesting how outrageous it was that Angus Bell was being selected I'd have thought you'd be a little more circumspect.
Difference being, Bell actually played prior to getting injured. Robertson has been eating lunch at the local Cafe and running the dog on weekends. That means ZERO rugby, how is that a smart move.

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
So Schmidt's master plan is to select Robertson who has had NO rugby in 2024. Totally faaaarked d
Not entirely true, played in the Oxford v Cambridge match, and a club appearance for Kalamunda in the Fortesque Premier grade. Not sure if there were others along the way or not.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
No, to be fair to Tizzano he has been putting himself about in a well beaten pack
I'm playing devils advocate here, because you can't fault his efforts but how much of that well beaten pack is because the leading tackler can't stop the big SA bodies before the ad-line?

It's the same issue for McReight. We actually want our 7 making fewer tackles and having a bigger ruck impact. Neither McReight or Tizzano have the dominant tackles at test level in their aresenal to discourage the tactic

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm playing devils advocate here, because you can't fault his efforts but how much of that well beaten pack is because the leading tackler can't stop the big SA bodies before the ad-line?

It's the same issue for McReight. We actually want our 7 making fewer tackles and having a bigger ruck impact. Neither McReight or Tizzano have the dominant tackles at test level in their aresenal to discourage the tactic
I thought we were less obviously beaten last match in the post contact metres department. We did a much better job of containing their metres in tight.

We lost that game primarily in the kicking/territory battle.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tizzano (35) second only to Todd Blackadder (40) in tackles won over the two matches all teams have played so far, so yes

What's most impressive here is that a 52 year old is topping the tackle stats in the Rugby Championship ;)

Doesn't that just means SA saw great value in running at him?

I think it is somewhere in between. We'd expect a backrower to be right up there among our top tacklers. For South Africa it definitely makes sense to run at the smallest forward both for the size advantage but also for the fact that they're taking the 7 out of the breakdown contest.

Realistically we probably want Wilson and Valetini making a few more tackles and Tizzano making a few less.

Tizzano hasn't missed a tackle which is probably the best aspect relating to the stat.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I always think tackle stats tell you more about what the opposition tactics were rather than any indicator of effort. At this level no-one is hiding in D, so it more tells a story about where the oppo are attacking

capalaba

Larry Dwyer (12)
He was also brought into camp in Perth for the week so presumably Schmidt liked what he saw and thinks he is ready to go.
No, not drinking the koolaide with this one. It is obvious Schmidt is panicking and believes the front row is a problem. Our problem is with our locks, midfid backs and poor decion making at 10. Oh and our shit gameplan which is down to our coaches that got exposed by the Boks. Our coaches need to be accountable for the losses

Argies are weaker opposition to the Boks so I am expecting a win against them.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)

Not much is the answer. The tight 5 is key in this area and South Africa played a career hooker at loosehead prop and he still had AAA under pressure, that's probably a good indicator of how piss weak we are up front. George Smith would struggle to make an impact behind that

The main reason Tizzano is forced into making a lot of tackles is the average work rate on defense by a number of the other forwards. They aren't targeting him as much as he's the only one bouncing off his feet and filling gaps quickly

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Well - our front row is kinda a problem at the moment.

I’m a bit surprised Capalaba though that you think having some faith that pro coach with 20 off yrs of experience has done some due diligence around a players level of preparedness to play test footy amounts to ‘drinking the cool aid’. Schmidt had options like Nonggorr & Hodgeman to bring in if he needed to so I assume Robertson is actually in pretty good Nick.

Also, Argie was a recent World Cup semi finalist, they’re at home and they are both more settled and in better current form than us. You may want to temper your expectations.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well - our front row is kinda a problem at the moment.

I’m a bit surprised Capalaba though that you think having some faith that pro coach with 20 off yrs of experience has done some due diligence around a players level of preparedness to play test footy amounts to ‘drinking the cool aid’. Schmidt had options like Nonggorr & Hodgeman to bring in if he needed to so I assume Robertson is actually in pretty good Nick.

Also, Argie was a recent World Cup semi finalist, they’re at home and they are both more settled and in better current form than us. You may want to temper your expectations.
I am a little surprised Hodgeman hasnt had more of a shot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So from what I can see Pollard, Nonggorr, and Reimer are the three to miss out with BPA, Robertson and Gleeson joining the squad.

Feliuai comes in for Paisami.