• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Again, I never said he was treated badly.

But if other countries dont have the same issue with a collection of players not wanting to play for the national team that we have (and you'd have to include the likes of Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Carter G in that), its probably not the players fault.
You implied that he was with your post.
Anyway, it seems like the chat is that the Skelton ship has sailed. Although it sounds like a fair bit of conjecture on Doran's part.
Shame, if so, as I think he could significantly improve our maul and maul defence, not to mention scrum.
Every team better than us will go to town on us in the maul. We currently are a solid bet to concede at least 2-3 tries and 1-2 cards / game in that facet alone.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Show me a Springbok with this attitude. Show me an Argentinan with this attitude. Creevy about to hi 40 and still giving his all for his country
I am jealous of this, there certainly appears to be a massive amount of pride in wearing the national jersey.

I wonder if this pride with representing your country is due to SA's sporting history?

I would imagine not being permitted to play for your country probably instils pride in now being able to.

Does South African have any rugby pride days where other cultures are celebrated or is it purely about celebrating South Africa?

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I was at the Georgian test and sat near a group of 20 something's who were on the beers and they spent the entire match yelling out to Nic White, telling him how shit he was, and how he should get off the field.

Could you imagine South African supporters doing that? (Maybe they did pre-rassie?)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was at the Georgian test and sat near a group of 20 something's who were on the beers and they spent the entire match yelling out to Nic White, telling him how shit he was, and how he should get off the field.

Could you imagine South African supporters doing that? (Maybe they did pre-rassie?)
I could imagine SA supporters giving White stick! ;)
But no, I cannot imagine them bagging their own players in a home Test.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I could imagine SA supporters giving White stick! ;)
But no, I cannot imagine them bagging their own players in a home Test.
This is kind of what I was saying about Australian rugby - maybe Australian sport, the Marsh brothers experienced the same thing, and Raygun now

We love a pile on. Lolesio probably isn't having a great time of it right now, and Skelton probably didn't love his last few years here either.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Show me a Springbok with this attitude. Show me an Argentinan with this attitude. Creevy about to hi 40 and still giving his all for his country
Skelton has been the reluctant Wallaby. Several coaches tried to get him involved and he was not interested. Jones making him captain was a joke. Maybe that was the only way he could get him to commit? He is doing well in Europe but there are big holes in his game and he has not been able to transfer that form to test footy. Time to move on.

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
I am jealous of this, there certainly appears to be a massive amount of pride in wearing the national jersey.

I wonder if this pride with representing your country is due to SA's sporting history?

I would imagine not being permitted to play for your country probably instils pride in now being able to.

Does South African have any rugby pride days where other cultures are celebrated or is it purely about celebrating South Africa?
What in the world are you trying to say with this post?

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
This is kind of what I was saying about Australian rugby - maybe Australian sport, the Marsh brothers experienced the same thing, and Raygun now

We love a pile on. Lolesio probably isn't having a great time of it right now, and Skelton probably didn't love his last few years here either.
Show me a country that doesn’t love a pile on?

Our players don’t seem to have anywhere near the sense of national pride that other nations do. You can try and give them excuses for it, but it’s the elephant in the room as far as I’m concerned

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Skelton has been the reluctant Wallaby. Several coaches tried to get him involved and he was not interested. Jones making him captain was a joke. Maybe that was the only way he could get him to commit? He is doing well in Europe but there are big holes in his game and he has not been able to transfer that form to test footy. Time to move on.
And how many of these overseas players that are lauded on here have the same feelings of apathy towards their county?

Jones picking a fellow flake in Skelton as captain makes sense now. Neither of them wanted to be there

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Although it sounds like a fair bit of conjecture on Doran's part.
giphy.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am sure all those SA and Argentinian players make it clear to their OS clubs that they will represent their countries if chosen. If we expand or bin the Giteau law then it should be the same for Australians playing OS. If a player is not so keen on playing for his country then what can you do? Maybe we should be targeting younger players like Amotesero as opposed to those just past their prime?
The French clubs seem to be very possessive of their foreign players but happy for their French contingent to suit up for Les Bleus. Its up to the player to make their position clear.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are only two Boks playing in France, a few in the UK and the rest of OS players in Japan. When SA ditched the 30 cap requirement they made it clear to all OS unions that their players priority was playing for the Boks if selected and that their playing schedules with their OS clubs may be severely reduced if required by Bok management.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
If the second test against South Africa shows us nothing more, then it was very clear that James Slipper and Nic White are nearing or at the end of their international careers. Certainly, neither is likely to be in the mix for the Lions tour nor the 2027 RWC.
Slipper played 8 mins and then got concussed. I would hate for you to be my boss.

He is also signed until the Lions tour and his scrum and line out work is as solid as ever. He’s not forcing penalties but he’s enabling a platform to play from.

I really like Kailea but if you think Slipper isn’t in the best 3 LHPs then I don’t know what to tell you.

We will really benefit from Tupou coming back. Hopefully BPA helps us as well.

Unfortunately I agree on White, he was flailing and I’d have Lonergan come in.

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
Isnt it just a symptom of societal culture in general, its not cool to be a proud Aussie. You meet a saffa, even with all the rubbish that goes on in their country they are proud to be south african and bring their culture with them, loud and proud, regardless of rugby.

Then when it comes to rugby, Aussie supporters are some of the least passionate, we sit there and clap polietly. Wouldnt be suprised if it rubs off on the players.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Our problem stems from the historical governance whereby unless you are playing for a Super franchise you can’t play for the Wallabies, which means that every Aussie player who has moved overseas has already weighed up their priorities. It’s a rule we had to have because without it we risk our domestic professional presence. But it’s past it’s use by date, the priority now has to be get the Wallabies back up the pecking order. The only thing that can save the professional game domestically is money.