• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Doran has written here, and spoken about it on his podcast last night; apparently Skelton will face financial impacts if he plays for Australia.

Anyone know what they could be?

But a combination of factors, including logistical and financial challenges, as well as a cooling to return given the Wallabies are up against it, means the world-class lock will stay in France for now.

On the podcast, it was something along the lines of "financially they are going to be taking a bit of a hit now, or Will Skelton will be anyway in France"

Last edited:

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Doran has written here, and spoken about it on his podcast last night; apparently Skelton will face financial impacts if he plays for Australia.

Anyone know what they could be?

On the podcast, it was something along the lines of "financially they are going to be taking a bit of a hit now, or Will Skelton will be anyway in France"

I'd guess the French clubs offer players smaller deals if they make themselves fully available for test rugby. Given the length of their season they don't want their star international players having the added work load and injury risk.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I'd guess the French clubs offer players smaller deals if they make themselves fully available for test rugby. Given the length of their season they don't want their star international players having the added work load and injury risk.
I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but it's specifically forbidden under Regulation 9.3
9.3 No Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club whether by contract, conduct or otherwise may inhibit, prevent, discourage, disincentivise or render unavailable any Player from selection, attendance and appearance in a National Representative Team or National Squad session when such request for selection, attendance and appearance is made in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9.
Skelton also just signed a four year deal which will see him through, so there's no issue securing the next contract

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but it's specifically forbidden under Regulation 9.3

Skelton also just signed a four year deal which will see him through, so there's no issue securing the next contract

Seems pretty much impossible to enforce, and could be volunteered into by players and their agents anyway during negotiations as they know it'll mean a better deal.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Doran writing that Skelton has no desire to play for the Wallabies

A bit of an indictment on the lack of passion some of our players have playing for their country
Once you have captained your country I guess you may have achieved your rugby goals and any other games are only a knee injury from ruining your financial security into the future.

I would like to this passion plays a part, but they are pro footballers, not amateurs playing for the love of the game.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Seems pretty much impossible to enforce, and could be volunteered into by players and their agents anyway during negotiations as they know it'll mean a better deal.
Haven't there been numerous reports of clubs threatening to tear up contracts for players with less bargaining power like Islander players who want to represent their country?

Test rugby is fucked.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
It’s where our main competitors for players here in OZ have a big leg up on us in terms of rewarding players for being the best of the best. Pretty much every NRL player is playing the game to end up playing state of origin, it’s the big carrot both financially and from an achievement perspective.

Can’t say the same for rugby players now. Some are playing for a chance to wear gold, others are playing to crack pros and head straight overseas where the money is. It’s not really anything new but is becoming more prevalent. Guys like McMahon and Gill made the financial decision years ago.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
If the second test against South Africa shows us nothing more, then it was very clear that James Slipper and Nic White are nearing or at the end of their international careers. Certainly, neither is likely to be in the mix for the Lions tour nor the 2027 RWC.

Without having played in any tests this year, others like Cooper, Foley, maybe Skelton, maybe Kerevi are in the same boat.

I say it's time right now to be planning for the disappearance of these, and perhaps more, players (Alan Ala'alatoa?).

So, who should we be investing in, starting now, with a plan to have capable replacements available when needed? I would say some of the standouts at present are :

Kailea for Slipper with Schoupp coming along as third pick (Bell No 1 pick);

Lonergan and Werchon for White and Gordon (with McDermott No 1 pick);

Canham and Ametosero for Skelton if unavailable (with Frost and Swain or Smith as first pick locks);

Henry and Felaiui for Kerevi (with Foketi as No 1 pick at 12)'

Beyond that, we also need to keep Charlie Cale, Corey Toole, Max Jorgenson, Tom Lynagh, Josh Flook, Reesjan Pasitoa, Jack Barrett, Harry McLaughlin-Phillips, Billy Pollard and Luke Reimer close to the Wallabies and let them know they are the development squad for the Lions/RWC. I'd like to see every one of those above included in every Wallaby squad from now to the Lions tour next year, specifically as development players if not yet as full squad members. As much as possible they should also be run regularly off the bench to give them the experience needed for the future.

On the No 10, I think Schmidt needs to decide on one of Noah or Donaldson to be the permanent starter in the remaining tests this year with Lynagh and HMP sharing the bench in a development capacity so that we can have a stable trio for the Lions. There should be no more waffling about is it Noah or is it Ben.

Is this a feasible way forward and are there any others I have missed who with a bit of planned development could be in the mix next year and beyond?

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
Once you have captained your country I guess you may have achieved your rugby goals and any other games are only a knee injury from ruining your financial security into the future.

I would like to this passion plays a part, but they are pro footballers, not amateurs playing for the love of the game.
Show me a Springbok with this attitude. Show me an Argentinan with this attitude. Creevy about to hi 40 and still giving his all for his country

Tomthumb

Dick Tooth (41)
A bigger indictment on how Australian rugby has treated some of our players
How exactly was Will Skelton treated badly by Rigby Australia?

“A cooling to return given the Wallabies are up against it” well you certainly wouldn’t want him in a foxhole with you

South Africa certainly doesn’t have this issue. None of their players turn their backs on the national team

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
HMP shouldn’t be near the Wallabies squad in 2024.
That's where I think you're wrong. The Wallabies only need one of Lolesio or Donaldson in the team between now and Lions. Lynagh is the next in line but we need to have another option being developed in case (as is probable) that whomever of NL or BD make the side now fails to rise to the level we need for the Lions.
And Foketi got red carded for a dump tackle playing for Manly in the semi yesterday.
Shouldn't make him ineligible for the Wallabies later in the year KOB.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
How exactly was Will Skelton treated badly by Rigby Australia?

“A cooling to return given the Wallabies are up against it” well you certainly wouldn’t want him in a foxhole with you

South Africa certainly doesn’t have this issue. None of their players turn their backs on the national team
I didn't say RA. I said Australian rugby.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
The question still remains...how was he treated badly?
Again, I never said he was treated badly.

But if other countries dont have the same issue with a collection of players not wanting to play for the national team that we have (and you'd have to include the likes of Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Carter G in that), its probably not the players fault.