• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Surely Lolesio has to fire in his fourth Test this year?. He’s had a fair crack and been pretty lack lustre. I suspect if he doesn’t, Donno will get a run of starting Tests, which may include both Argentinian and All Black Tests. Young Lynagh is a worry with hamstring woes so early in his career.
Id be surprised if that happens, I think the language from Schmidt is that he has faith in Noah. Donaldson didn't exactly set the world on fire in his start and Lynagh's still inexperienced. Guess we will see, I'm backing Noah to get an extended run.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
Id be surprised if that happens, I think the language from Schmidt is that he has faith in Noah. Donaldson didn't exactly set the world on fire in his start and Lynagh's still inexperienced. Guess we will see, I'm backing Noah to get an extended run.
Fair enough. I’m not.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely Lolesio has to fire in his fourth Test this year?. He’s had a fair crack and been pretty lack lustre. I suspect if he doesn’t, Donno will get a run of starting Tests, which may include both Argentinian and All Black Tests. Young Lynagh is a worry with hamstring woes so early in his career.
We've been on this YoYo for a fair while now.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think the reality is that at the moment Australia lacks the cattle
The midfielders who can bust it up the guts and make meaningful yards with their size and pace appear all be overseas (playing for Scotland or in Japan) or in league.
For some reason we just can’t produce good tens with consistency.
We lack a true fullback at the moment.
We’re probably light on size in locks with what’s available right now and we don’t have the depth at front row.
I think you can notice the size gap between who we have in the backs and who league has pretty clearly

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think the reality is that at the moment Australia lacks the cattle

I'd suggest we have the players for a better ranking than #9. It starts with coaching consistency, an improvement in S&C, a consistent game plan and another 10 or so games to lock in the game plan, coaching locking in much more closely to the best 23, best 35, consistency in those selections once known.

Digging out from a nadir by facing #1 (with the whole process being very green) is going to be a struggle. Where we are right now, #3 and #6 will also be testing.

Blaming the players is rough though, given sequential administrations and coaching decisions have provided a very predicted result.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd suggest we have the players for a better ranking than #9. It starts with coaching consistency, an improvement in S&C, a consistent game plan and another 10 or so games to lock in the game plan, coaching locking in much more closely to the best 23, best 35, consistency in those selections once known.

Digging out from a nadir by facing #1 (with the whole process being very green) is going to be a struggle. Where we are right now, #3 and #6 will also be testing.

Blaming the players is rough though, given sequential administrations and coaching decisions have provided a very predicted result.
Agree. We need to be patient and temper our expectations. Gradual improvement for now will need to be enough. Its unlikely that it will come overnight, but when the pieces all fall in place we should be able to punch fairly high up the order.
I think we do have the cattle, at least our first choices in most positions and JS and co are working on improving test depth. We are light on at 10 and 12 but our current options will improve quickly with a decent platform and there are some exciting youngsters coming through.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Pre World Cup last year, I was anticipating amd excited by the following potential backline heading towards the Lions:

9. Lonergan 10. Gordon 11. Jorgensen 12. Sua'ali'i 13. Ikitau 14. Nawaqanitawase 15. Petaia.

All big bodies, all comfortable kicking ball from hand (right and left foot options), back 3 all have aerial attributes, speed and power with Gordon having that attacking creativity to find openings. Sua'ali'i brings the crash ball option at 12 and Ikitau with his defensive organisation. Goal kicking with a choice of Lonergan, Gordon or Sua'ali'i.

C'est la vie...

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We need to be patient and temper our expectations. Gradual improvement for now will need to be enough. Its unlikely that it will come overnight, but when the pieces all fall in place we should be able to punch fairly high up the order.

We also need to accept that our ceiling is lower than some of the other Tier 1 teams.

We are unlikely to see another Eales-era level of success unless an absolute freak set of circumstances come together.

We tend to forget just how quickly our systems adapted to professionalism around the turn of the centruy, compared to our peers.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)
And Gordon are clear losses
Mark had the size. So did Gordon tho game needed improvement which would come
Noah is not it. Didn’t really see any well executed kicks in play by him.
I saw cully wrote about backs size - posted that yesterday. We just aren’t big enough.
I’m pretty firmly of the view that if the game is going to grow it’s off wallabies success and we need the best team. Pick from anywhere

rugbyAU

Alan Cameron (40)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
I saw cully wrote about backs size - posted that yesterday. We just aren’t big enough.
I’m pretty firmly of the view that if the game is going to grow it’s off wallabies success and we need the best team. Pick from anywhere
Absolutely, picking almost exclusively domestically clearly docent work for us:

Having someone like Sio last year, Skelton/Kerevi more consistently, Pete Samu and now Swinton etc. would help

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
I saw that article as well. Agreed with most his points although he always has to take a swipe at Australia. Inferring that many of us think league takes a lot of our talent, but he just had to point out that our biggest back was 95kg in the league team. He clearly doesn’t understand that any league player would be on a different training regime and more cardio focused than they would in union, therefore would put more size off in union or deliberately chooses to forget. RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) put heaps of weight on when in union. But he just had to get a swipe in

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Size can be important, but I would prefer a clone of Cheslin Kolbe at 75kg if one was available

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think any dramatic changes are likely to help us but I would like to see us try some more out and out pace. We simply cannot capitalize on the hand full of half breaks we make a game because we get murdered on speed. Koroibete immediately looked more dangerous than Daugunu. Would love to see MK and Toole with Wright/Kellaway at the back (probably Wright at the moment).

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was very encouraged by the game last night. I thought our forwards stood up and the backs will improve with better and more consistent ball.
My view is the rebuild has started from last night, it won't be a linear improvement but by the end of this year, I am feeling confident we will be in 7th spot. I would be happy with that at this stage, considering we would be behind SA, Ire, NZ, France, Eng and either Arg or Scotland.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sorry to hear you missed Noah's pinpoint chip over the top for himself, for which he earnt us a penalty for being taken out without the ball.