• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
Just watch Schmidt regarding selections and his reasons for 2 pilferers. His take is that give SA a turnover and they will make you pay. So he takes the breakdown seriously as does SA. He also stated that you must compete in the forwards in all areas.
Where did you watch that ?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
As a thought experiment, what would a Wallabies side look like if we followed an South African model of selecting from anywhere. Who makes that 23? (maybe even consider if injured currently)

I actually find it difficult to work out because it is challenging to compare form, know where players are up to because we don't see day to day what's happening in those competitions. SA have the advantage of being involved in that time zone so it's not a surprise when a player who's made their name at an overseas club gets a Bok debut.

1. Bell
2. Faessler
3. Thor
4. ?Frost vs someone like Staniforth or Arnold who is going well in France.
5. Skelton
6. Wilson vs Wright?
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. ? is it still Gordon
10. ? Is it someone old like Cooper or have we just parked that now for good and we're just going with what we've got. Any other OS 10's?
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi (maybe, is he even in any form to speak of?)
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16. BPA
17. Kailea (?Sio)
18. AAAA
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. ?Samu vs Cale vs Wright
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio or Lynagh
23. Daugunu or Wright?

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Isaac Lucas is potentially a better 10 option than Lolesio but how can you benchmark him in Japan?

Harry McLachlin Phillips next 12 months will make or break. Timing will rule him out of Lions series because Lynagh is slightly in front. But HMP could lead Souths to a Brisbane premiership and make people stand up. Turbo Lynagh has had a rails passage to the Wallabies.

I like Teddy Wilson at 9 but needs Super Rugby experience. Combo with Bowen is one to watch.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
As a thought experiment, what would a Wallabies side look like if we followed an South African model of selecting from anywhere. Who makes that 23? (maybe even consider if injured currently)

I actually find it difficult to work out because it is challenging to compare form, know where players are up to because we don't see day to day what's happening in those competitions. SA have the advantage of being involved in that time zone so it's not a surprise when a player who's made their name at an overseas club gets a Bok debut.

1. Bell
2. Faessler
3. Thor
4. ?Frost vs someone like Staniforth or Arnold who is going well in France.
5. Skelton
6. Wilson vs Wright?
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. ? is it still Gordon
10. ? Is it someone old like Cooper or have we just parked that now for good and we're just going with what we've got. Any other OS 10's?
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi (maybe, is he even in any form to speak of?)
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16. BPA
17. Kailea (?Sio)
18. AAAA
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. ?Samu vs Cale vs Wright
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio or Lynagh
23. Daugunu or Wright?
I read Kerevi basically didn’t make himself available or wasn’t considered (I think it was the former but not 100% sure) because his fitness isn’t at test level. A fit, in-form Kerevi would be a significant step up but he has to be fit.

I’m a bit lost why Arnold’s name gets mentioned. He was great at super level and is clearly doing well in Europe but has had numerous chances at test level and has never been more than average. Certainly not worth considering when he can’t be available half the time.

Despite our issues with 10 I’m firmly in the camp of moving on from Cooper & Foley.

For me Koroibete, Skelton & Kerevi if he ever gets back to 2021 form/fitness. That’s it. and even then I’m okay with Schmidt not picking them because I don’t think there is the difference is as significant as people make it out to be.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Not that we are short of backrowers at the moment, but it's worth keeping in mind that Jahrome Brown is Aussie eligible playing next year in NZ. Could be a good fit in an emergency.

WoodysRFC

Peter Burge (5)
Not that we are short of backrowers at the moment, but it's worth keeping in mind that Jahrome Brown is Aussie eligible playing next year in NZ. Could be a good fit in an emergency.
I could be wrong, but I took his moving back to NZ and joining the Chiefs as him effectively ruling himself out of selection for the Wallabies.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I could be wrong, but I took his moving back to NZ and joining the Chiefs as him effectively ruling himself out of selection for the Wallabies.
Yeah, being registered with an NZ team will reset his eligibility. Would only remain eligible if he was capped before being registered with an NZ team, which might already be too late if he's going to play NPC this year.

WoodysRFC

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah, being registered with an NZ team will reset his eligibility. Would only remain eligible if he was capped before being registered with an NZ team, which might already be too late if he's going to play NPC this year.
It's a shame, wonder if his decision was motivated by McReights form, and he felt he may not have got a proper look in? Probably more likely he just missed home and wanted to be closer to family.

Regardless, he'd probably have been there ahead of Tizzano you'd think.

DropGoal

Ted Fahey (11)
IMG_6546.jpeg

House is on Fire

Frank Nicholson (4)
No, leaving resets the residency eligibility if you aren't capped. If he'd gone back to play in NZ he's no longer eligible. Current system means registration with a NZ team will void that 5 year period pretty much immediately.
This caused me to look it up, I was sure it was based on physical residency - i.e. had to reside in the country for more than 6 months of the year.
But WR (World Rugby) states : "the Player has been registered exclusively with a Union or Rugby Body in the country for sixty months immediately preceding the time of playing"
I didn't know it was based on registration rather than residency.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This caused me to look it up, I was sure it was based on physical residency - i.e. had to reside in the country for more than 6 months of the year.
But WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) states : "the Player has been registered exclusively with a Union or Rugby Body in the country for sixty months immediately preceding the time of playing"
I didn't know it was based on registration rather than residency.
It's a very recent change:

This brings it more inline with the intent and function of the law as it was already administered. Basically it means a player can go on a long holiday or return 'home' without jeopardizing their eligibility, as long as they don't play for a rugby team in another country. Will be much simpler to administer then attempting to track the exact periods of residency over the 5 years.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
As a thought experiment, what would a Wallabies side look like if we followed a South African model of selecting from anywhere. Who makes that 23? (maybe even consider if injured currently)
Bit moot now but I wonder if players like Sione wouldn’t have turned out for Scotland. They could’ve gone earned NH coin and still remained eligible for the Wallabies. Same goes for Meafou.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bit moot now but I wonder if players like Sione wouldn’t have turned out for Scotland. They could’ve gone earned NH coin and still remained eligible for the Wallabies. Same goes for Meafou.
Might have stopped someone like Dempsey switching, but I think Meafou felt a bit passed over and wanted to change his eligibility. No one was really talking about him here (at least in a position of power) until he was more or less eligible for France. Sione too, does he command the money in Scotland if he's not eligible for them?