• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Might have stopped someone like Dempsey switching, but I think Meafou felt a bit passed over and wanted to change his eligibility. No one was really talking about him here (at least in a position of power) until he was more or less eligible for France. Sione too, does he command the money in Scotland if he's not eligible for them?
Not in Scotland no, but maybe he takes a salary 15% less in France, doesn’t have to live in Glasgow, can live in Provence instead and stay eligible for Aus. I’m sure Meafou would’ve been on our radars if he were eligible too.

Would love to know how SA manage it and keep tabs on all their Japan players.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not in Scotland no, but maybe he takes a salary 15% less in France, doesn’t have to live in Glasgow, can live in Provence instead and stay eligible for Aus. I’m sure Meafou would’ve been on our radars if he were eligible too.

Would love to know how SA manage it and keep tabs on all their Japan players.
I think Japan is much easier, it's a shorter season and they seem much more open to players playing test rugby. For those in Europe they're much more present for south Africa, playing in the same timezone and cross over competitions.

Worth noting we're also missing a key piece that south Africa have - the Currie cup. It makes a big difference to maintaining their talent pipeline and getting players bedded down in their systems as the move into their URC sides before they leave. Our club system is much too defuse to provide that and I'm not sure players get enough time in super for it to do it alone.

I do think there's more for is to explore with foreign selection, but it's far from the silver bullet it gets made out to be and if we do it wrong we'd basically be pulling the plug on the life support system the game is on here.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Going to be interesting to see if we go with a tactical shift for the next game, I thought our selections here didn't quite line up with the way we tried to play, though the execution didn't help. If we want to play that low possession, keep it (very) tight model we went with we're better off running Hooper in 7 and maybe even shifting Frost or Salakaia-Loto into 6 to maximize the size out there. Theoretically Blyth in at lock, but he hasn't really done anything to demand that selection other than being bigger then the rest. Koroibete probably comes onto the wing there too, given his propensity for a bit of tight work. Not sure that's every going to be enough to meet South Africa though, particularly if our kicking game is off as it was for Gordon yesterday.

Alternative is to lean into pace, get McDermott at 9, Uru into the back row, and really try and get in behind the ruck for some front foot ball and play fast off that. Potentially Toole out on the wing to make the most of it, especially against a side not running large power wingers who would trouble him in D. Arguably Donaldson also comes into 10 for that style of game, but I'd prefer we stuck with Noah for the Rugby Championship to make a proper call on him, I don't see much upside overall in the switch. Might be a bit more chance to catch a somewhat content South Africa napping with that game, particularly if they elect to rotate their squad a bit.

Either way I'm not sure we're in with too much of a shot unless Tupou and Bell are ready and available.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So, we are continuing to "play off the 9". That is just rugby speak for the 9 passes the ball to one of the forwards to take the tackle and form a ruck a bit further in field and than he puts up a box kick, which in most instances isn't even contested by any of the chasing Wallabies. That simply gives possession back to the opposition and they get to pound the hell out of our defence before putting in a tactical kick and the process starts again. It only changes when one of our lesser tacklers misses and the opposition scores.

This is the game that both Nic White and Jake Gordon essentially play. It probably won't change until they are both discarded. At the very least, we should be starting with Tate McDermott every test match while we try to play a style where we are actually trying to score. We might even then get to see which of our 10s can play some rugby with the ball. The other No 9 who can play the more expansive style is Ryan Lonergan, and he should be recruited into the squad immediately and put on the bench.

It's also time to be looking for other options at 12 and wing. Maybe Bayley Kuenzle could step up in the 12 spot. It was his usual playing spot for years before being put out wider, and doing a good job there, by the Force. I think we'd see a lot more ball in the hands of the outside backs than we do with Hunter Paisami at 12.

I am not confident that Corey Toole has what's needed to play test match rugby. He can be quite sensational at Super Rugby level but he plays very 'small' and his defence can be questionable. A bigger body with some quite good form this year on the wing is Ollie Sapsford. I would be more confident of Ollie making the necessary tackles than Corey, and indeed than Andrew Kellaway too.

Of course, as I expect many will point out, the forwards need to match up to the opposition or no changes in the backline will be effective.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
This is the game that both Nic White and Jake Gordon essentially play. It probably won't change until they are both discarded. At the very least, we should be starting with Tate McDermott every test match while we try to play a style where we are actually trying to score. We might even then get to see which of our 10s can play some rugby with the ball. The other No 9 who can play the more expansive style is Ryan Lonergan, and he should be recruited into the squad immediately and put on the bench
I rewatched the last 20 mins of the game on Stans spidercam this morning.

I actually think McDermott had a pretty poor game including at least three poor passes that resulted in knock-ons, as well as those poor decisions around the blindside while we had the 13v15.

I may have missed one or two, but I'm pretty sure McDermott didn't pass to Lynagh once in SA's half over the 20-odd minutes they were both on the field

Lynagh spends an awful lot of time 10m behind the ruck in the pocket in no position to receive the ball. He also didn't kick it once in open play.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Basically agree with you about 9 BR, the only issue I have with Tate is his passing can be pretty ropey, it's no advantage getting quicker ball to the 10 if it goes behind him. I would also have Lonergan as our run-on 9, but I don't think that's going to happen. Not sure about 10, probably stick with Lolesio, however Lynagh's familiarity with Tate is appealing.
I don't share your dislike of Kellaway, I would retain him and Wright and bring Marika in for an injured Daugunu. Toole will get his chance, hopefully on the EOYT, just not yet. I also rate Pietsch ahead of Sapsford, although I imagine you disagree.
12 is a problem, Paisami's impact in Super rugby is blunted at this level, so all you are left with is a guy who doesn't pass the ball. I would give Stewart a crack, sure he isn't going to bust through the line, but he's a solid defender and he will at least create some opportunities for Len and the other guys out wide.
However, as you say, with out somewhere close to parity up front it's all academic. A fit Bell and TT up front is essential, I like both Matt F and Nasser, so I'm selecting the best line-out thrower of the two. Lock is another problem, I'm selecting Frost, but who with? Perhaps Williams, with Hooper at 6 and Valetini at 8. I would start Reimer at 7, Tizano is just too small, and give the medicos a bonus for speed with McReight.

Steve_Grey

Fred Wood (13)
Basically agree with you about 9 BR, the only issue I have with Tate is his passing can be pretty ropey, it's no advantage getting quicker ball to the 10 if it goes behind him. I would also have Lonergan as our run-on 9, but I don't think that's going to happen. Not sure about 10, probably stick with Lolesio, however Lynagh's familiarity with Tate is appealing.
I don't share your dislike of Kellaway, I would retain him and Wright and bring Marika in for an injured Daugunu. Toole will get his chance, hopefully on the EOYT, just not yet. I also rate Pietsch ahead of Sapsford, although I imagine you disagree.
12 is a problem, Paisami's impact in Super rugby is blunted at this level, so all you are left with is a guy who doesn't pass the ball. I would give Stewart a crack, sure he isn't going to bust through the line, but he's a solid defender and he will at least create some opportunities for Len and the other guys out wide.
However, as you say, with out somewhere close to parity up front it's all academic. A fit Bell and TT up front is essential, I like both Matt F and Nasser, so I'm selecting the best line-out thrower of the two. Lock is another problem, I'm selecting Frost, but who with? Perhaps Williams, with Hooper at 6 and Valetini at 8. I would start Reimer at 7, Tizano is just too small, and give the medicos a bonus for speed with McReight.
Agree with Hooper at 6 and Valetini at 8, Wilson to bench and Reimer given a chance at 7.

I would slot Toole in at 11 (he has gas to burn, and the SA wingers are small), and replace Pietsch (he is unfortunately feckless) with Flook (if he is fit), on the bench.

A starting TT is a prerequisite if personal circumstances permit. Need the Hookers to hit their lineout jumpers.

Expect a much closer game in Perth.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
But E'man, the question is, "How can we improve?" Kuenzle was in good form this year, is an experienced No 12 and is a bigger body that Hunter. Sapsford is also a bigger body, has good pace and ability to beat a tackle, is a good finisher and can make his tackles, a trait that seems to evade Andrew Kellaway. I think both players could and probably would bring more to the team than those presently there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I like Pietsch's attitude but by god he drops a lot of ball. Must have been three or more from him in his short time on the field yesterday.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But E'man, the question is, "How can we improve?" Kuenzle was in good form this year, is an experienced No 12 and is a bigger body that Hunter. Sapsford is also a bigger body, has good pace and ability to beat a tackle, is a good finisher and can make his tackles, a trait that seems to evade Andrew Kellaway. I think both players could and probably would bring more to the team than those presently there.
I don't think picking Kuenzle or Sapsford does much or anything to improve our chances against the Boks. Hard truth is that man for man they are better than every Wallaby on the field except maybe Valetini.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
BR, I think to be fair he only dropped one (which yes, was poor) the other one he was blamed for by the commentators, when we saw the replay, was actually passed to a point on the ground about two metres in front of him.

dru

David Wilson (68)
If we are to continue with a plan working primarily off 9, I'd be tempted to consider Stewart at 10, and a second backline starting with one of the usual fly halves. It would shore up defence and provide a ruck fetcher while providing no less ball wide than we have now. Kick passes and kicks in play would not suffer.

I doubt it would be considered by the coaches but Stewart is the sort of starch that suits playing the Bokke.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Daugunu out with a fractured fibula and Frost and Williams both doing return to play protocols after concussions. Tupou headed to Tonga for his dad's funeral.
Jesus Christ. Broken legs are a bitch to recover from. He was our form player.

At least we have Marika but it’s looking like another season of our depth being stretched to the extreme.

Have to agree with the sentiment that there’s pretty much no point singling out a player for punishment here. Dominated 1 to 23.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I have to be honest and say that I put the blame for our lack of development of class No 10s right at the feet of Steven Larkham. He is wedded to Noah come hell or high water when he has two alternative No 10s in Debreczini and Meredith in his squad and they hardly get a look in. JD is quite proficient at No 10, is a big body who defends in the line, can make inroads into the opposition defensive line, has a good pass and kicks the ball a mile. Meredith looks best taking the line on and is very good at setting up his outside backs. He is also very good at chipping over the defence and regaining possession - probably one of the best in the country in this regard.

I am only partly serious with my blame game, but imo it would be better for Aussie rugby if players like these two were given more opportunity, not just at the Brumbies but in every franchise, to reach their potential.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don't know enough about Meredith BR, but certainly agree with you re Jack D, huge boot, big body. Another we've missed, through no-one's fault, is Will Harrison, who basically spent probably the two most important seasons for his development injured. Obviously I don't know whether he was going to be the answer or not, but unfortunately we may now never know.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't know enough about Meredith BR, but certainly agree with you re Jack D, huge boot, big body. Another we've missed, through no-one's fault, is Will Harrison, who basically spent probably the two most important seasons for his development injured. Obviously I don't know whether he was going to be the answer or not, but unfortunately we may now never know.
Harrison was my big hope after Isaac Lucas left. But fuck me, I guess.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
It certainly is a shame with all the struggles we’ve had at flyhalf that of the crop from around 2018/2019 -
- Harrison - riddled with injury
- Lucas - moved to Japan
- Pasitoa - riddled with injury
- Gordon - derailed by Jones (okay - that’s not 100% fair, but I don’t think it’s 100% wrong either)
- Lolesio - test rugby seems above him
- Donaldson - I’m going to be a little kinder here, but only a little - test rugby seems above him at this point

I really thought at least 1 of those guys would come good. Lynagh, HMP & Bowen are next ones coming through but Lynagh is the only one who realistically might be in the frame for the Lions next year.