• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
We should be copying Ireland and scotlands strategy and importing players and making them wallaby eligible. I would target front rowers from South Africa and Argentina

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
This crisis is different to the others the Wallabies had in the past. You can't compare this moment with Robbie Deans' crisis when you was consistenly a Top 2 or 3 in the world and the only issue was to beat the ABs to win the Bledisloe again.

You can't compare with the Cheika's issue post 2015 RWC. When the debate was the overseas players and you could beat comfortably Tier 2 Nations and in a good day, you could match any Top 3 nation.

Now you don't have plenty of top class players playing overseas like Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell playing in Toulon in those days, David Pocock playing in Japan, Liam Gill in France and many others. The only top class players overseas are Will Skelton and Marika, that's all. I don't know if Rory Arnold has played this year in Japan or if he's fit. I don't follow Japanese rugby TBH.

This was probably the strongest 23 you can pick. Who was missing? Fraser McReight and that's all. And even Fraser who I think is the best openside flanker in Australia nowadays, isn't at the same level as George Smith, David Pocock or Michael Hooper at his prime, not even close.

You can't talk about an injury crisis like in Dave Rennie crisis in the past. This is what you have, this is the ugly true. Australia is comfortably the number 8 team in the world

Marce

Peter Sullivan (51)
We should be copying Ireland and scotlands strategy and importing players and making them wallaby eligible. I would target front rowers from South Africa and Argentina
Georgians are cheapear and you can use the good advertisement of Australia being a country with a high standard of living

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure if there is a match thread yet so here it goes!

1. Slipper 2. Faessler 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Hooper 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini 8. Wilson 7. Tizzano
9. Mcdermott 10. Lynagh 11. Koroibete 12. Paisami 13. Ikitau 14. Toole 15. Kellaway

16. Nasser 17. Bell (hopefully) 18. Thor (article said keeping door open, doubtful but hopefull) 19. Uru 20. Reimer 21. White 22. Donaldson 23. Flook

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s actually not a bad plan. We cannot beat these Boks next week, that much is evident. Send out our best team from this current squad not including those coming back from injury next week and look for a better, more competitive performance before rolling out the big guns in Argentina and build for the Bled games.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure if there is a match thread yet so here it goes!

1. Slipper 2. Faessler 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Hooper 5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini 8. Wilson 7. Tizzano
9. Mcdermott 10. Lynagh 11. Koroibete 12. Paisami 13. Ikitau 14. Toole 15. Kellaway

16. Nasser 17. Bell (hopefully) 18. Thor (article said keeping door open, doubtful but hopefull) 19. Uru 20. Reimer 21. White 22. Donaldson 23. Flook
These guys are old pro's now and need to show something or it's move on from AAA and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and commit that Wilson aint a Test 8. Some of the defence was diabolical from the pack. He may have hands like feet at times but a guy like Gleeson if fit brings impact.

The backline got fuck all opportunity and some showed moments. Think we could benefit more from a guy like Toole coming in who has a genuine point of difference.

We just don't line up the same quality. We don't have a world class Hooker, Halfback, Flyhalf, Fullback. You can't match it with the top teams when this is the case. Tate has showed glimpses there might be one in there. We can only hope...

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
It will be a better performance this week, Schmidt will have a week to analyse the Boks play, especially what their new 10 does (if he plays!), and how they used their big forwards in attack.

Suspect we will see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) performing a tighter closer role in the defensive line.

In attack? Who knows. If Hunter continues to get targetted and smashed behind the ad line, it doesn't really leave too many options, that aren't a kick. Can't coach an extra 20kg in a week

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
These guys are old pro's now and need to show something or it's move on from AAA and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and commit that Wilson aint a Test 8. Some of the defence was diabolical from the pack. He may have hands like feet at times but a guy like Gleeson if fit brings impact.

The backline got fuck all opportunity and some showed moments. Think we could benefit more from a guy like Toole coming in who has a genuine point of difference.

We just don't line up the same quality. We don't have a world class Hooker, Halfback, Flyhalf, Fullback. You can't match it with the top teams when this is the case. Tate has showed glimpses there might be one in there. We can only hope...

Yep we are lacking point of difference players big time.

Of the current squad the only bloke who is a genuine proven week in week out player in that vein is McReight imho.

Taniela can turn it on sometimes but isn't there in 2024, Korobiete will get his chance to show it probably this week and the only other I can think of is a prime Kerevi but he isn't even in the squad and didn't show that form last year.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Of the current squad the only bloke who is a genuine proven week in week out player in that vein is McReight imho.
Has McReight ever done that at test level against the big boys?

The rap on him was always that he can be taken out of breakdown play by targetting him as a tackler, and he doesnt make dominant tackles to compensate.

I don't think he has ever performed to the heights he'd aspire to against the top teams

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
These guys are old pro's now and need to show something or it's move on from AAA and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and commit that Wilson aint a Test 8. Some of the defence was diabolical from the pack. He may have hands like feet at times but a guy like Gleeson if fit brings impact.

Agree on AAA. Unfortunately he’s struggled since injury but I’m not sure if Zane is ready, though I think our scrum improved with him on.

If AAA could improve from a break to condition himself more I think it’s worth it because he is so class. The players genuinely love him. It might be Father Time though.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Has McReight ever done that at test level against the big boys?

The rap on him was always that he can be taken out of breakdown play by targetting him as a tackler, and he doesnt make dominant tackles to compensate.

I don't think he has ever performed to the heights he'd aspire to against the top teams

I think based on his skill set and ability, he fits the bill of what I am talking about. Whether he's been able to be as effective as possible in every game I am not sure.

Even the notion that teams would specifically target him to try and negate him shows how much of a factor he is.

I think he's shown to have more strings to his bow in the last year as well, is great in attack playing as a ball runner from offloads and providing link play to his outside backs.

But I should clarify that I also don't think we beat the Boks if he's back in the side. We need more players like him to be successful.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Agree on AAA. Unfortunately he’s struggled since injury but I’m not sure if Zane is ready, though I think our scrum improved with him on.

If AAA could improve from a break to condition himself more I think it’s worth it because he is so class. The players genuinely love him. It might be Father Time though.
Such a large guy. He is starting to look very slow and it gets exposed in Defence. Was also getting popped in scrums which can be unfair on a Prop at times but I'm not sure he's at the level anymore to keep up. Using so much gas around the park maybe it's taking away from his ability to scrummage.

It's an explosive games in the top Tests and maybe the younger legs handle it a bit better. We also want to find out if guys like Zane are the real deal with the Lions and WC on the horizon. It won't ruin them to get a reality check of what's needed in the RC a couple times.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with a broken leg and yet two or three posters here still have him in the team for next week. No wonder there is a lot of rubbish written in these threads - get real people and stay up to date.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with a broken leg and yet two or three posters here still have him in the team for next week. No wonder there is a lot of rubbish written in these threads - get real people and stay up to date.
I agree… Rubbish is written in these threads and people need to get real and stay up to date… just maybe not in the same way you think

FYI, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) doesn’t have a broken leg :D

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Forgive me for writing on the game when I haven't and won't watch any of it. I've read all your comments though! I don't get Ala'alatoa's decline. He's a massive guy but so are the Bokke front row. We don't need his carrying we need his scrummaging, why has that declined? We're quite skinny in the tighthead now, especially after Pone hasn't played a season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Hope he turns it around but he just looks off the pace for Test match Rugby now. Maybe he could hold a bench spot while we are short on depth but his scrummaging isn't making up for the deficit in other areas now.