• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Very illuminating article with Ryan Smith on why he didn't get picked vs Blyth https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/08/...allabies-debut-amid-roller-coaster-six-weeks/

"
Some of the stuff was just across defensive structure and fitting in within the team there.

“I think they preferred the chop tackler, the inside tackler, more of a chop focus where the outside guy can put a hit on and then have a second action; a little bit different from how we defend at the Reds.

“So I think that was definitely part of this decision for me not being in the squad.”

Schmidt has since said one of the factors that has impressed him about Blyth is the 204cm lock’s ability to tackle low

dru

David Wilson (68)
I came across Zane Nonggorr recently. Hard not to stare, such a huge human. Looked like he could throw a cow over his shoulder then casually jog around the paddock to catch a second and balance the load.

Go well Wallabies.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I came across Zane Nonggorr recently. Hard not to stare, such a huge human. Looked like he could throw a cow over his shoulder then casually jog around the paddock to catch a second and balance the load.

Go well Wallabies.
It is a shock when you see these guys, I remember years ago attending a refs meeting and the Tahs forwards squad were there. I'm 6' 4" but felt small compared to (even) the back row.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It is a shock when you see these guys, I remember years ago attending a refs meeting and the Tahs forwards squad were there. I'm 6' 4" but felt small compared to (even) the back row.
Yeah, Melon Finegan was one of the largest humans I've come across. But otoh, I was taller than all of Michael Hooper, Colby Fainga'a and Robbie Coleman when I had a talk with them at a Brumbies meet the players at Canberra Zoo many moons ago.

capalaba

Ward Prentice (10)
This is a troll?
Why? These are facts mate. What part of what I said makes me a troll?
Has Bell been injured? Yes
Has Kailea outplayed Slipper? Hell yes.
Is Bell still injured? Yes
How muchSR has Bellplayed this year? Not much
With the above how can Bell be regarded as the best LHP in the country based on CURRENT form?
It is obvious Kailea is number 1 and I'm not even a Rebels fan.
I'm just being honest, and not a one-eyed supporter.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's like saying Dan Carter wasn't the best fly-half in the world because he was injured...

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
Why? These are facts mate. What part of what I said makes me a troll?
Has Bell been injured? Yes
Has Kailea outplayed Slipper? Hell yes.
Is Bell still injured? Yes
How muchSR has Bellplayed this year? Not much
With the above how can Bell be regarded as the best LHP in the country based on CURRENT form?
It is obvious Kailea is number 1 and I'm not even a Rebels fan.
I'm just being honest, and not a one-eyed supporter.
Because based on CURRENT form, Kailea has not reached the level in which Bell is at when fit. Kailea has not really been tested at international level yet, so quite hard to make a true comparison. Bell is injured, he hasnt retired. Unless Bell comes back and has had to have his big toes removed its hard to see him having regressed too far as a young fella.

capalaba

Ward Prentice (10)
Because based on CURRENT form, Kailea has not reached the level in which Bell is at when fit. Kailea has not really been tested at international level yet, so quite hard to make a true comparison. Bell is injured, he hasnt retired. Unless Bell comes back and has had to have his big toes removed its hard to see him having regressed too far as a young fella.
What CURRENT form has Bell shown while he was sipping lattes in Bondi 4 months after surgery?????
Exactly, zero form. I have nothing against Bell, this elevation to cult status when he has done nothing since chocolate Easter eggs shocks the shit out of me.
Kailea is better than Slipper, Kailea has played more Super Rugby In 2024 then Bell and therefore is the best LHP in the country.
Lose the Bell sympathy card, look at the kid from Melbourne and give him the credit he deserves.
Next Saturday would you consider Bell in your line up if Slipper is injured????? I will leave that thought with you.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bell is not Daniel Carter. Carter played a few seasons before he was considered the best in the world, and he wasn't a 23 year old kid.
Despite my terrible attempt at English I think you still get what I mean. Being injured doesn't suddenly mean you are bad.

Bell has put in some of the best LHP performances we've seen in gold in years.

WoodysRFC

Peter Burge (5)
Despite my terrible attempt at English I think you still get what I mean. Being injured doesn't suddenly mean you are bad.

Bell has put in some of the best LHP performances we've seen in gold in years.
Crazy thing is he's still so young, and not even near his peak, which for props is usually from around 28 onwards. He's only going to get better, injuries or not.

HogansHeros

Jim Clark (26)
Crazy thing is he's still so young, and not even near his peak, which for props is usually from around 28 onwards. He's only going to get better, injuries or not.
This is it. Got a looong way to go, hopefully can see him string together a few injury free seasons and cement his position as #1 LHP in the country haha.

Linerunner2023

Darby Loudon (17)
What CURRENT form has Bell shown while he was sipping lattes in Bondi 4 months after surgery?????
Exactly, zero form. I have nothing against Bell, this elevation to cult status when he has done nothing since chocolate Easter eggs shocks the shit out of me.
Kailea is better than Slipper, Kailea has played more Super Rugby In 2024 then Bell and therefore is the best LHP in the country.
Lose the Bell sympathy card, look at the kid from Melbourne and give him the credit he deserves.
Next Saturday would you consider Bell in your line up if Slipper is injured????? I will leave that thought with you.
I’d pick bell over both
Just because he isn’t playing you can’t call him out of form
Bell made his super debut at 19 and test debut at 20
Kailea was not known until this year and potentially got a squad spot to start as bell was out
He had done well to date off the bench against tier 2 quality opposition
It’s a great issue to have between to two having some depth going forward but bell has more runs on the board
If he can get on top of injuries and stay on the field watch out with bell, kailea, TT and AAA going forward it looks promising

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Hmmm. Kailea 24 yo, and Bell turns 24 in October. I can see this debate going on for years.
Don't really get why it has to be a "debate". Kailea is pretty good, with a small set of data from Test rugby; Bell has been very good at Test and Super level when fit, but obviously had recurrent injury issues.
Unless someone has their eyes painted on, Bell obviously has a huge upside, but the issue of recurrent injuries must be resolved.
Kailea's best this far at either Test or Super level is not at Bell's best level. He might be. If so, it will be a nice "problem" to have.