• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

dru

David Wilson (68)
1: South Africa 93.11
3: New Zealand 90.37
7: Argentina 81.64
9: Australia 78.96

We are literally underdogs in this fight including Argentina. The warm ups vs Wales and Georgia were a fantastic way to set a platform and start a new platform forward, but it is another thing altogether to shape up and be competitive against South Africa. Even at home, in the favoured Lang Park.

Somewhat concerning, should results follow these rankings, who knows where we end up but it isn't good. Initially, what I'd like to see is the team step up to the level and look competitive while building the combinations and starting to lock-in the game strategy. It's been a great start, but wow. Work to do.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks Didn't realise that was his nickname. I liked him but would not have put in a better basket than Barnes or Cooper come to that.

There is a player who played 5/8 for Tonga called Lilo I assumed it was him.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
1: South Africa 93.11
3: New Zealand 90.37
7: Argentina 81.64
9: Australia 78.96

We are literally underdogs in this fight including Argentina. The warm ups vs Wales and Georgia were a fantastic way to set a platform and start a new platform forward, but it is another thing altogether to shape up and be competitive against South Africa. Even at home, in the favoured Lang Park.

Somewhat concerning, should results follow these rankings, who knows where we end up but it isn't good. Initially, what I'd like to see is the team step up to the level and look competitive while building the combinations and starting to lock-in the game strategy. It's been a great start, but wow. Work to do.
My understanding is that you don't really lose many points if you lose to someone significantly higher than you on the table so I doubt we would drop much lower than 10?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My understanding is that you don't really lose many points if you lose to someone significantly higher than you on the table so I doubt we would drop much lower than 10?

We literally have nothing to lose in terms of ranking points against South Africa.

If the points difference is 13 or greater the home team can't lose points for losing.

When the away team is the underdog, any rankings difference of 7 or higher results in no points being lost for the lower ranked side losing.

At a neutral venue that mark is 10 ranking points so home ground advantage is given 3 points.

Linerunner2023

Darby Loudon (17)
Maybe bullying you in your hometown but that's about it. Kailea to start, Slipper to come off the bench in the last 15.
Kailea and Tupou is our best propping combo regardless of the opposition. I've got nothing against the woodenspooners but I do get a little sick and tired of the fanboying.
I’m not a tahs fan
So not fanboying
Kailea has some well but maybe he or Hodgman missed first cut if Bell was available
Slipper is aging and scrum not great atm

dru

David Wilson (68)

We literally have nothing to lose in terms of ranking points against South Africa.

If the points difference is 13 or greater the home team can't lose points for losing.

When the away team is the underdog, any rankings difference of 7 or higher results in no points being lost for the lower ranked side losing.

At a neutral venue that mark is 10 ranking points so home ground advantage is given 3 points.

EDIT I'm having trouble with the link, here it is long hand: https://rawling.github.io/WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) (World Rugby) (World Rugby) (World Rugby)-calc/?s=mru
Click "MRU" at the top for mens. Plug in your teams home and away, click the "RWC" box.

I plugged in, for example a 5 point home loss:
As BH says against RSA, nothing
against Argentina -2 points (ish) -0.8 in Argentina
against New Zealand -0.3 points (ish)

So the South African games are the last chance saloon for setting in the team without repercusisons on the rankings.

Last edited:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I cannot find the article but it was the same one suggesting that there will be 3 squads selected for this RC. One for each pair of matches and also suggesting Skelton will be available for the tour to Argentina..
I’m also an Uru fan. I would slot him in the 23 next week.
I like Lynagh too and he is our best bet long term. Ease him in gradually off the bench. Boy, those Boks will really be trying to get to him. It may open up opportunities elsewhere. He needs to be protected by our forwards as much as is possible.
I think that was Sydney morning herald

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the record, the points exchange has two levels of results in terms of how many points are exchanged; 1-15 points and >15.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Will Skelton selection is probably partly due to how regulation 9 works. It's far more conceivable to call him up for the Argentina tour where he can join the squad in Argentina for the two weeks then fly back to France.

They then have the opportunity to bring him back out for the two All Blacks tests to finish the Rugby Championship.

The release rules only allow for six weeks out of the eight week period that the Rugby Championship release window lasts.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Will Skelton selection is probably partly due to how regulation 9 works. It's far more conceivable to call him up for the Argentina tour where he can join the squad in Argentina for the two weeks then fly back to France.

They then have the opportunity to bring him back out for the two All Blacks tests to finish the Rugby Championship.

The release rules only allow for six weeks out of the eight week period that the Rugby Championship release window lasts.
Surely they will review these rules given in about 10 years every international player will be playing out of France or Japan?

Last edited:

Hogan

Allen Oxlade (6)
He lacked the general kicking skills to be a decent test flyhalf at this stage in his career, and his goal kicking ability, in a squad lacking kickers in other positions, didn't help his cause...

But he wasn't even the best performing Australian flyhalf in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) this year
Correct and Schmidt confirmed his support for Lolesio, Donaldson and Lynagh when he quoted that “some of their percentages exceeded Carter’s” throughout the Super Rugby season. None of them including Carter are close to the finished product but I’m prepared to back Schmidt’s judgment to give them more time to develop.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
For a bloke who has had shit all game time I at a loss why anyone in the Forum will consider him our best LHP.

It simply baffles me, is it just a Tahs thing I don't know, but give credit where it is due. On current for our best LHP is Kailea, hands down, followed by a broken Slipper who's there WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) for stats. Hodgman did not get enough minutes but he is better than Bell.

I was a shit half back but I appreciate good forward play and Bell doesn't give us what we need right now.
This is a troll?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kailea looks a very good prospect but his test experience is extremely limited and that against a sub standard Wales and Georgia. He looks the goods but he is yet to be really tested. I imagine after this next test we will know how good he is right now. I am a fan.
On the other hand Slipper will be the most capped test prop if he gets on in the Boks test. He has played against all comers and proven himself. Bell has also proven himself at the highest level and those in the know regard him as one of the worlds best at LHP when fit.

rugbyAU

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Looks like the Wallabies are lining up a game against Japan (in Japan) on the way north at the end of the year:

A spicy match up and a chance to get one back at Eddie. Should be a tidy pay packet for RA too.
Good to have an extra game (and pretty much a guaranteed win) before the Lions, I thought 13 tests wasn't enough this year

The test is on Nov 2 - TBC