• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure that logic is too sound Slim, then every fly-half in Australia is limited because they don’t excel across all skill sets.

The guy can run, pass and tackle at an elite level for his position. And it’s not like he can’t kick at all, he was still deemed the best place kicker at the rebels.

I wouldn’t call that limited.

He lacked the general kicking skills to be a decent test flyhalf at this stage in his career, and his goal kicking ability, in a squad lacking kickers in other positions, didn't help his cause...

But he wasn't even the best performing Australian flyhalf in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) this year

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The guy can run, pass and tackle at an elite level for his position. And it’s not like he can’t kick at all, he was still deemed the best place kicker at the rebels.

I am not sure I would say he could do those things at an elite level relative to other options. I agree he was better at those things than the other Australian options but we are also very much at a low point.

He certainly couldn't do those things to a high enough level that it made him a compelling selection regardless. We quickly moved from him being the goal kicker to needing another goal kicker picked elsewhere in the backline to him being dropped because he wasn't offering enough upside versus the alternative option to warrant compromising a selection elsewhere.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Gordon didn't want to stay. He was offered an amount of money, probably equivalent to the others, and he left despite that.
I would have been offended if Rugby Australia had approached with an offer they though was reasonable and in line with competitors, after watching Noah consistently underwhelm.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
He lacked the general kicking skills to be a decent test flyhalf at this stage in his career, and his goal kicking ability, in a squad lacking kickers in other positions, didn't help his cause...
I’d agree with all of that but it’s a little bit of a deviation from your original argument about him being limited..

He had considerably more upside than his competitors, and kicking is coachable. Rugby Australia should have invested In this instance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d agree with all of that but it’s a little bit of a deviation from your original argument about him being limited..

I think that's the definition of limited.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter now...

It seems that he was made a decent offer on his potential, despite not really performing this year, but he wasn't keen to stick around anyways after everything that's occurred over the past two years.

It's probably time to move on.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
For all the criticism of Lolesio, I think it's worth remembering that his record over the last year sits at 19 wins and 5 losses (and yes it's a team sport. He had very limited minutes in some of those matches etc etc) across tests, Super Rugby and in France.

His pro career win rate is approaching 65%

He clearly can play the position well enough that it doesn't get in the way of his team winning.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Ignoto, have you heard anything about Mason?
Mason made the field for the Reds in both the Welsh and Tonga games.

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 11.58.33 AM.png

capalaba

Ward Prentice (10)
Bell is the best LHP in Aus he will be fine and be a big inclusion
He will most likely come off the bench so only play 30-40 min anyway
For a bloke who has had shit all game time I at a loss why anyone in the Forum will consider him our best LHP.

It simply baffles me, is it just a Tahs thing I don't know, but give credit where it is due. On current for our best LHP is Kailea, hands down, followed by a broken Slipper who's there WR (World Rugby) for stats. Hodgman did not get enough minutes but he is better than Bell.

I was a shit half back but I appreciate good forward play and Bell doesn't give us what we need right now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For a bloke who has had shit all game time I at a loss why anyone in the Forum will consider him our best LHP.

It simply baffles me, is it just a Tahs thing I don't know, but give credit where it is due. On current for our best LHP is Kailea, hands down, followed by a broken Slipper who's there WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) for stats. Hodgman did not get enough minutes but he is better than Bell.

I was a shit half back but I appreciate good forward play and Bell doesn't give us what we need right now.

No, I think anyone who watches rugby can see that when fit Bell is easily the best LHP in the country...

That was pretty clear last year when he was able to string some tests together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It simply baffles me, is it just a Tahs thing I don't know, but give credit where it is due. On current for our best LHP is Kailea, hands down, followed by a broken Slipper who's there WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) for stats. Hodgman did not get enough minutes but he is better than Bell.

He came back from injury last year straight into the Wallabies, won the GAGR Player of the Year voting for 2023 and was second in the John Eales Medal.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I disagree - both Foley and Cooper were quite accomplished 10s. Even guys like Barnes had a decent grasp of all the essential skills.
Neither Foley nor Cooper in his first iteration could tackle to save themselves, let alone the Wallabies. Barnes was better and I did think about him as he could tackle take the ball to the line etc. had some injuries from my recollection and didn't do the goal kicking most of the time.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Worst take of the thread.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
No, I think anyone who watches rugby can see that when fit Bell is easily the best LHP in the country...

That was pretty clear last year when he was able to string some tests together.
Yes, when fit but not even the most one blue eyed Tahs supporter can possibly say that he is fit.
Of the fit options available Kailea is the best LHP at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, when fit but not even the most one blue eyed Tahs supporter can possibly say that he is fit.
Of the fit options available Kailea is the best LHP at the moment.

And he's in the squad.

This is essentially an argument between Slipper and Hodgman because Bell was always going to come straight back into the squad as soon as he is healthy.

It's insane to suggest that Kailea is a better player than Angus Bell. Now he might be ahead of Bell until Bell has had some more time at training and/or games off the bench but it's pretty hard to argue that is likely to remain that way.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Putting a positive spin on this: a 1/16 combo of Bell and Kailea packs a serious punch.

1/17 but you raise a good point as to why the reserve loosehead isn't 16, and the reserve hooker 17.

It probably made more sense when we only had one bench prop but now that we have a whole front row they should be 16/17/18 across the scrum.