• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

scrans21

Ward Prentice (10)
1. Slipper
2. Faesslar
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Salakai-Loto
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. Gordon
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

16. Pollard
17. Kailea
18. Ala’alatoa
19. Blyth
20. Reimer
21. Mcdermott
22. Lynagh
23. Daugunu

Once Bell, Wright and McReight are fit then they come straight in at 1, 6 and 7 respectively, with Slipper and Hooper dropping out, Valetini moving to 8 and Wilson to the bench. If the chat about Skelton coming in later in the RC is correct then he moves into 5 and Salakai-Loto goes to the bench as well. We lose the breakdown advantage of McReight and Wright starting but hopefully the bigger bodies should help us match it with the boks, plus the added lineout option of Hooper starting. I'm very keen to see what Reimer can do, hopefully some time in the Wallabies will help him develop his other skills so that he doesn't end up as a pure breakdown merchant, despite how good at that he is.

Toole and Uru should get some gametime from the bench against the Argies, then hopefully we can roll out our best side for the AB's.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I cannot find the article but it was the same one suggesting that there will be 3 squads selected for this RC. One for each pair of matches and also suggesting Skelton will be available for the tour to Argentina..
I’m also an Uru fan. I would slot him in the 23 next week.
I like Lynagh too and he is our best bet long term. Ease him in gradually off the bench. Boy, those Boks will really be trying to get to him. It may open up opportunities elsewhere. He needs to be protected by our forwards as much as is possible.
Our best bet long-term was Carter Gordon, he is by far the most talented of our 10 stocks but we fucked that one up.

Sometimes I don’t understand talent identification and retention with rugby here? In what world could Lolesio or Donaldson be deemed better players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Our best bet long-term was Carter Gordon, he is by far the most talented of our 10 stocks but we fucked that one up.

Sometimes I don’t understand talent identification and retention with rugby here? In what world could Lolesio or Donaldson be deemed better players.

I would put forward they were better players this year...

Gordon was certainly a talented, but limited flyhalf who still had a way to go.

I don't think he was at stage of his career where he could be deemed a guaranteed test selection.

But, he chose to leave sooooooooo.... whatever.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)

Were they deemed better players?

I thought Gordon left because he was hung out to dry by the previous coach, had a horrible experience at Wallaby level, and then his club team self-destructed, and as a result he was jack of the whole sport?

He choose to leave, he wasn't forced out

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I would put forward they were better players this year...

Gordon was certainly a talented, but limited flyhalf who still had a way to go.

I don't think he was at stage of his career where he could be deemed a guaranteed test selection.

But, he chose to leave sooooooooo.... whatever.
Limited? He’s the best combination of ball-playing, running and tackling fly-half that we have, with the added bonus of a big robust frame.

Sure his kicking needed work and he had a tendency to push his pass, but all those things are coachable and can be improved.

He had the intangibles.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Were they deemed better players?

I thought Gordon left because he was hung out to dry by the previous coach, had a horrible experience at Wallaby level, and then his club team self-destructed, and as a result he was jack of the whole sport?

He choose to leave, he wasn't forced out
I’m sure if he had Schmidt and Rugby Australia saying the right things privately it would have been different..

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is a pretty good argument that in modern test rugby kicking is a 10s core role and most important ability. All of the best flyhalves of recent years have been excellent out of hand and dead-ball kickers first and foremost. Farrell, Pollard, Mo'unga, etc.

Only one of those names above have a notable running game and only one of them is a notable defender.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m sure if he had Schmidt and Rugby Australia saying the right things privately it would have been different..

Likewise, I don't think Rugby Australia could reasonably pay top dollar to a guy who at this point wasn't the obvious first choice, wasn't overly keen to re-sign and couldn't be selected at 10 without another goal kicker.

We could be a year or two away from deciding that Harry McLaughlin-Phillips is our most promising option at 10.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think that is correct Eastman. I understood from a RP article that Schmidt had a few discussions with him and expected him to stay. What RA did or didn't do I have no idea.
I think he was a great loss to AUs rugby.

Alex Sharpe

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is a pretty good argument that in modern test rugby kicking is a 10s core role and most important ability. All of the best flyhalves of recent years have been excellent out of hand and dead-ball kickers first and foremost. Farrell, Pollard, Mo'unga, etc.

Only one of those names above have a notable running game and only one of them is a notable defender.
Agree. Makes it even more insane to think he was the only kicker picked in a World Cup Squad.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Likewise, I don't think Rugby Australia could reasonably pay top dollar to a guy who at this point wasn't the obvious first choice, wasn't overly keen to re-sign and couldn't be selected at 10 without another goal kicker.

We could be a year or two away from deciding that Harry McLaughlin-Phillips is our most promising option at 10.
BH, we are always in that year or two zone, unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the current zone. So we stumble on with our players never living up to our expectations UNTIL they go overseas. I used to see this in business, anyone from OS was better than any local until the inevitable reality struck.

The good thing is we have Schmidt who wants to work with what we have and not what we don't.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I’m cut Carter is gone from game. Best thing to do is put him in the rear view mirror and move forward.

really need to have Lolesio, Lynagh and the other options step up so he can be nothing other then an afterthought.

I have a gut feeling in 2027 he is coming back but on bigger RL poaching money

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Limited? He’s the best combination of ball-playing, running and tackling fly-half that we have, with the added bonus of a big robust frame.

Sure his kicking needed work and he had a tendency to push his pass, but all those things are coachable and can be improved.

He had the intangibles.

Yes, as you confirmed... limited.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)

RA offered him a contract which was more than what the titans are paying him. Confirmed by Phil Waugh in days after his announcement.

Don’t think you can claim RA balked at offering him top dollar when there was a contract for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, we are always in that year or two zone, unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the current zone. So we stumble on with our players never living up to our expectations UNTIL they go overseas. I used to see this in business, anyone from OS was better than any local until the inevitable reality struck.

The good thing is we have Schmidt who wants to work with what we have and not what we don't.

What would you have done?

Gordon was contracted for 2024 only and was seeking a release. Presumably RA would have needed to make a very large offer for 2025 onwards (let's say at least 2025 and 2026) to convince him to stay.

I wouldn't have done it. Letting him walk was the right decision.

I would assume Joe Schmidt was involved in that decision that he didn't view Gordon as a must have player that RA needed to pull out all the stops to retain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
RA offered him a contract which was more than what the titans are paying him. Confirmed by Phil Waugh in days after his announcement.

Don’t think you can claim RA balked at offering him top dollar when there was a contract for him.

Everyone has a price, they obviously needed to offer him more. It's another data point to suggest that RA made the right decision not to secure his signature.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Carter and his partner wanted to return home after a shit couple of years. The Reds couldn't accommodate him leaving him to look at NRL to stay professional and in Queensland (although you could probably say the Broncos are looking for a Reynold replacement).