• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just to reiterate. Schmidt made it clear the captain for the first game isn't necessarily the captain for the season. Purely as he doesn't know the players very well. So in other words he's not locked in to starting Wright all season.

Also Schmidt has come from an AB set up where Cane regularly left the field being replaced after 60 minutes even as captain.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
In his presser yesterday Fraser did say "pending selection" when asked by a reporter about how he intends to play. It was obviously a throwaway remark, but I do like reading too much into things...

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I like Liam Wright and he wouldn't be out of place if selected again. But it must mean if he's in the side or even on the bench that Charlie Cale misses out. Can't see how both of them fit into the XXIII, unless of course Joe goes with a 6-2 bench. That might be good man management on Charlie's behalf, but he is a real excitement machine and would offer some unique challenges for the Welsh defence. I hope to see him in the side for a test or two in this series.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Surprising isn’t it. Like others I’m wondering if he’s been picked at #7.

Edit: just saw the article does say #6.

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Maybe it's because he played five more games than Cale this season?
Or the 17 more minutes a game he averages.
Or because he makes more tackles than Cale and Leota.
Or because he wins more lineouts than both of them.
I mean why would you want an 80 minute, lineout winning, tackling machine in your team.

As for the captaincy. I have never liked the idea of appointing a captain and he plays no matter what. I'd be more comfortable with the team being selected and the captain be selected from a leadership group within the squad if they are in the team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wright is a good first choice of captain, and his ruck work this year probably would’ve impressed Schmidt and Laurie…

Plus he’s a good lineout operator.

If he’s playing at 6, in will be interesting to see what kind of backrow we’ll see.

Schmidt is apparently a big fan of Cale so I’m sure he’ll have his opportunity.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Also can someone more smarter than me explain why Cale has seemingly jumped Wilson in the pecking order. I thought Wilson was the pick of the Reds backrow this season.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Schmidt on O'Mahony

"He brings leadership and experience. He's a very effective lineout operator for us. Part of it is the structure and the way he that ends up across the width of the pitch. He tends to be playing in the wider channels and therefore he's not as involved as some of the players who are closer in.

"Statistics always tell part of the story, but they don't tell the complete picture. There are things that he can add for us that we think could be really important. Obviously in the line-out, he saved our bacon the last time we played New Zealand with an exceptional turn and chase and the long arms that he reached out just to pluck the ball in front of Ben Smith to avoid Smith scoring for certain.

"I think he won two balls on the ground in that game as well that were really important. He has been a bit of a 'big moments' player for us. Maybe not as many moments, but the big moments, they count."

That sounds very similar to Wright. Also size, young captaincy, passion for the team and no nonsense approach.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Happy with Wright as skipper & 6. Balances a Valetini & McReight backrow well. Familiarity with Faessler hopefully helpful for lineout.

Will be interesting to see whether Schmidt goes with Hooper, Williams or Cale for backrow bench cover. Personally unconvinced Cale is physical enough to start in test footy yet, but that #20 jersey might be a good fit.

Reactions: Ged