• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
My team for this weekend:

15. Ben Donaldson

I personally think you've gone out on a limb a bit with Donaldson reverting to 15. He didn't play a minute there this year (i think) and dabbled in it last year.

Sticking with Wright @ 15 seems the logical conclusion. The wing partner for Kellaway is more in the air. Rumour had it Pietsch was released for club games so might mean Daugunu/Lancaster gets the nod, with the other on the bench. Pietsch may come back into the reckong depending on if Daugunu goes to 13 or if they are happy for flook to be 13/23 with the exclusion of Ikitau.

No point swapping cale and valetini from their existing Super Rugby jerseys. Though at test level I think it more likely Hooper goes back to 6 with Frost starting. But as I write this...this would mean Williams gets a bench spot which IMO, is the LEAST likely inclusion.....hm. HMMMMMMMM tough tough tough!

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Donaldson gives them bench flexibility. Long term I'd like to see Donaldson and Kellaway on the bench to cover the entire backline.

We need genuine positional starters in spots like Lancaster on a Wing (Early days for him). At times we resemble a team of squeezing talent on the field even if its out of position thinking it will work.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom Robertson is back in Australia after his sabbatical at Oxford. Not sure on where his conditioning will be at, but given our prop stocks at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see him come into calculations around the Rugby Championship.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
It's a forward thing; Dan Vickerman, John Roe, James Horwill, Angus Scott-Young all come to mind on undertaking some pretty grueling study options while playing Rugby.

Happy to hear about some of the backs ;)

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow had completely forgotten about him... look at that CV, dam impressive.

- Bachelor of Medical Science,
- Master of Public Health and a
- Master of Philosophy-Medicine
and currently studying for a Master of Public Policy at Oxford Uni under scholarship.
sounds like someone is gearing up to apply for a postgrad Med slot

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Liam Wright apparently in line to be captain. If this happens I'll be disappointed, the Australian Sam Cane. Won't be the best player in his position.

Maybe a reflection that all the other 6s have left our shores.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would be a bit bizarre if 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) isn't captain with him at the forefront in all the media imagery though wouldn't it? Maybe Wright for VC?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wright has been the best on field captain for any of the Australian super sides for a long time this year, his referee management is excellent. As far as his place in the side goes I think he's absolutely earned a spot, whether or not he's the best available 6 comes down to the style we're looking to play.

That said Schmidt has otherwise suggested that the captaincy appointment won't necessarily be a long term one at this stage, so I don't think it locks him in.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A fair bit of (quite understandable) bias in some of the comments, however I think I can be reasonably objective as a Tahs fan, and with none of the Tahs desreving to be anywhere near this team. I agree Wright is a good captain, but IMO no better than AAA, who also has the advantage of being clearly our best THP, particularly give TT's lack of fitness. I think Valetini is clearly the best Australian 6 at the moment, and if you were going to rely purely on form, rather than experience, Cale is the best 8. For mine Wright is the perfect 20, as he covers all three back row spots.

Tomthumb

John Solomon (38)
Liam Wright apparently in line to be captain. If this happens I'll be disappointed, the Australian Sam Cane. Won't be the best player in his position.
We could use a few more Sam Canes to be honest, and we don't have any world class 6s that he would be taking the place of with Valetini the only experienced 8 currently in the squad.

Wallabies

Herbert Moran (7)
Making Liam Wright captain is awful for two reasons, first he's not the best in his position and second, this makes it incredibly difficult to include both Valetini and Cale in the team at same time. I was hoping for Valetini at 6, and Cale at 8, but now Valetini will be pushed to 8 and Cale to the bench. Also Rob Leota? Rob has pratically zero chance of making starting line ups in the future with Wright as captain. Selection wise, Liam Wright being captain is not ideal. Yeh he might be a good captain, but from my perspective so is Fraser McReight. Dependable, mastered the art of pilfering with out exceeding penalties, and leads by example. I don't get it. Really makes it hard for a full strength Wallabies pack to exist.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I really respect Wright as a captain at the Reds and think he should be in our match day 23. I'm not sure I'd pick him at 6 and captain for the Wallabies, when we've got Cale and Valetini. Now Cale isn't a proven test player but Wright isn't either. I think the ceiling is higher for Charlie though.