• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
This feels like George Bailey.

Good bloke, good leader but everyone’s going to be looking around at some point saying it’s awkward to drop the Captain at some stage.

We do have other options but I hate rotating the C.

Ah well not like he’s taking over the World Champs. Good luck, hope he brains it and gets the others to rise a level.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Wright also plays 80 minutes of Rugby whereas Allan would be getting replaced at the 50-60 minute mark.

By picking Allan as captain you effective have someone else as captain for 1/3 to 1/4 of the game.

That's the hard thing about having a front row captain and three subs.

I thought Fraser would have been the pick if they were changing it, but Liam has been excellent all year and more importantly has shown the ability to manage the game and referee. Something we've lacked over the last decade and a bit.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cale is definitely going to get his shot but some of these comments about Wright not being up to it are a little hysteric.

He’s had a great season, never had a bad season actually, never been bad for the Wallabies, and gives us what we need most in the current backrow stocks - lineout.

Furthermore he’s versatile. When McReight was suspended this year Liam slotted into 7 seamlessly and overnight became a jackal.

If he is captain, well he’s been doing that well for years now and is likely to be playing 80. Honestly it’s odd the negativity from some posters.

Horrie Vincent

Frank Row (1)
I think Liam Wright (or someone like him) might be what the Wallabies need at 6. When we look back at our great Wallabies team of the late 1990s people forget that in many of those tests it was Matt Cockbain at 6. Cockbain was very similar to Wright IMO - hard working on both sides of the ball, reliable (and rock solid in lineouts), but relatively vanilla. With Bobby V and Fraser etc - are we better served by a 6 who will be missing off the highlight reel but topping a lot of the stats? Let's see how he goes and get behind him.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The choice of Wright, with his skillset, going forward opens up some flexibility with backrow combinations depending on the game...

You probably have Wright and Valetini as the two constants at 6/7 or 8/6 respectively, and then you've got options with McReight, Cale, or even Hooper depending on the game.

I'm actually surprised by some of the reactions... he's probably the unheralded hero of the Reds' backrow IMO.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
As others have said, Wright is the perfect captain for a Schmidt coached team. 80 minute player, does the tough thankless work so that his team mates can shine, very low error rate and a very high work rate. Plus he's arguably the best lineout operator in the country which is just an added bonus. He's not a young player being thrown in the deep end. He's a seasoned professional with years of leadership experience. And besides, Schmidt has said that the captain for the first test might not necessarily be the captain for the rest of the season (although I think Wright is the best choice long term but that's just my opinion). Starting backrow is pretty much locked in with Wright at 6, McReight at 7 and Valetini at 8. That's a balanced unit with threats on the ball, solid link play, good ball carrying and brutal defence. Reserve backrower will depend on who the opposition is but at this point you'd have to say it's a straight shoot out between Hooper and Cale. Let's get behind the boys and trust that for once we have an experienced international coach who isn't batshit crazy and might actually know what he's doing.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think some are selling him short. He will most likely be our next long term skipper. First one who really fits the mould since Hooper.
Great player. Does the graft, hard on the ball and is one of the best in Oz at lineout time, maybe the best?

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Availability is also a factor. He's had a good year injury wise and it might indicate a bit of front row rotation since we have to manage these guys with the propensity for break down and we are already missing Bell and Slipper seems like he's almost done.

McReight is one of the only other walk up starts I think capable. Other may have been someone like Len but he's hurt now as well. None of the 9s have really shown they own the jersey who might also be options...

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
One thing that might be getting overlooked by people on here is that aside from AAA probably being only penned in for 50 minutes max, he might not even be starting. Several cases have been made that either TT or Nonggorr could be better for that gig while Alan settles back into test rugby.

Announcing Liam Wright as the captain for this game is different to calling a press conference and anointing him as the new Wallabies captain, I'm happy to let Schmidt settle in and work out what is best for the next 3 years.

Assuming Wright is playing 80 minutes and is #6, I'm curious as to what that means for the rest of the back row as McReight & Valetini are also usually 80 minute players. I still haven't ruled out that Wright is #7 to start, bringing McReight on for the last 30 minutes wouldn't be stupid.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd expect plan a would be to sub Valetini and get a dynamic ~20 minutes from a ball carrying 8 - we have quiet a few guys who can play that role off the bench but aren't ready to do it for 80 - Leota, Cale and Gleeson all fit that bill in different ways. There's still a bit of flex there tactically where McReight can come off if we want to finish with more size, or we could change both locks out if we're running someone like Williams or Hooper in the 20 jersey and take advantage of the three 80 minute back rowers.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
It also wouldn't be the first time a blindside flanker in his mid to late twenties is named skipper after playing only a handful of tests. Also ironically from the same club in Brisbane (Easts Tigers baller production line confirmed). I know Mowen didn't stick around for long but he was a better captain than half the blokes who followed him in the decade since then.

People are selling him really short here (club footballer wtf), Wright has been one of the most consistent players all season and the best lineout operator in the country. He's the reason McReight and Wilson can shine at the Reds, similar to how Fardy did the tough stuff so Hooper and Pocock could work their magic or how O'Mahony does the graft so Van der Flier and Doris can play looser for Ireland. I think he will excel in the role and if a group of highly regarded international coaches are picking him ahead of Ala'alatoa, McReight and co then clearly there must be something there that we punters do not see.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It’s all about balance. I think Cale is an excitement machine who could be a real 2nd half difference maker for the Wallabies this year with his power, speed, athleticism and defensive lineout skills. But with Wright in the side, alot of the load carrying in tight or up the middle will fall to Valetini, the locks and the props. With a fully fit complement of players I expect to be the medium to longer term picks in those spots (Bell once fit, AAAA and TT, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Skelton if picked) then I actually can start to see how it all fits together.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yes?? Does all the basics very well. Will go all day and is a proven leader. Deals well with refs and teammates. No nonsense.

And yes, check the stats. One of the best lineout forwards in Oz. Top two no question.

he doesn't even deserve to be in the side, make sure you get to the Lions games next yr because they will never be back. If someone this bad is the captain the wallabies will be a tier 2 side by the 2031 rwc