• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wales were terrible against SA on the weekend. Couldn't hold the ball, forward bashed aside by SA backs, scrum falling apart and no discernable game plan. They also looked very undersized compared to SA.

While the Wallabies are at the start of a new era (hopefully) we should finish them off. Valetini, Mcreight and Paisami are made for this match-up.

Yoda

Alex Ross (28)
Curious how many wallabies in Joe Schmidt squad played club rugby on the weekend?

i did see Salakaia-Loto lined up for GPS off the bench. (Coming back from a injury)

the reason I ask is I note what’s happening across the ditch. Players like Beauden Barrett & Ardie Savea (both healthy) have both played club rugby recently and those 2 guys will be pivotal in the all blacks squad.

Schmidt is going to face the same problem Eddie did and Rennie before him and that’s having a wallabies squad who haven’t play enough rugby thru out the year. What exactly are we resting players for? Wales?!?! LOL

No NRC, wallabies squad wrapped in cotton wool… if we want to replicate what the ABs do and start winning we need provide more rugby for our players. Not limit them to the sideline.
200%!!

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wales were terrible against SA on the weekend. Couldn't hold the ball, forward bashed aside by SA backs, scrum falling apart and no discernable game plan. They also looked very undersized compared to SA.

While the Wallabies are at the start of a new era (hopefully) we should finish them off. Valetini, Mcreight and Paisami are made for this match-up.
Homer you saw it differently to me. I thought they held their D ok up to a point in the 2nd half where SA blew them away with big guys running at speed. We don't have those players so I am thinking the Wales games will be close and hopefully (like you) improving in the 2nd game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the reason I ask is I note what’s happening across the ditch. Players like Beauden Barrett & Ardie Savea (both healthy) have both played club rugby recently and those 2 guys will be pivotal in the all blacks squad.

Savea played his last game in Japan on 27 April and Barrett his last game on 5 May.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Homer you saw it differently to me. I thought they held their D ok up to a point in the 2nd half where SA blew them away with big guys running at speed. We don't have those players so I am thinking the Wales games will be close and hopefully (like you) improving in the 2nd game.
I thought it was more SA getting a bit lax and moving away from their plans. When they stuck to their gameplan they were making yards at will. Also that SA team was missing 12 of the WC winners, so a newish group including the 5/8, so fairly impressive.
Agree our tight five aint nuttin on those big boys. Not saying we will run away with it, just in the 'should win' column.

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)

I bloody hope you are right. I thought the same last year, Wales then proceeded to put 40 points on us.....

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
The State of Origin Wallabies
Screenshot-20240623-232309-Instagram.jpg

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe the comment referred to amateur club rugby in NZ. This belief is based on social media exposure.
Sure, I think the point Braveheart is making is these two are not NZ / Super based, but likely to be named in the AB and have probably been asked to play club rugby to stay fit, noting they've not played since April / May. A bit different to a Sevu Reece or Ethan De Groot playing club footy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe the comment referred to amateur club rugby in NZ. This belief is based on social media exposure.

My point was that without playing any club rugby they'd have a lot more time in between games than someone who played Super Rugby (even if they didn't make the finals).

DropGoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
So who would you have in there that is available right now who is clearly better than who was picked?

Guys keep saying people like Skelton, Sio, the Arnolds, Koroibete, Kerevi etc but, as far as I understand, none of them were available for selection.
I don’t believe in just picking from the domestic comp only … I think it’s an extremely limited and outdated philosophy to have in 2024 …

also not picking the boys going to league is just petty … say what u want about the NRL they still picked Joseph sualli for origin ..

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t believe in just picking from the domestic comp only … I think it’s an extremely limited and outdated philosophy to have in 2024 …

also not picking the boys going to league is just petty … say what u want about the NRL they still picked Joseph sualli for origin ..
Without specifically commenting on Sua'ali'i's selection, NSW origin are hardly the model selectors setting an example we should all follow. Generally speaking, they're known for getting it wrong more often than not.

Marce

John Hipwell (52)

Joe is building a team for the 2025 Lions tour. This is the perfect time to prove new players

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
My point was that without playing any club rugby they'd have a lot more time in between games than someone who played Super Rugby (even if they didn't make the finals).

I understand your point braveheart81 - match fitness is king.

I can’t ever recall our foreign based players been granted a release back to club rugby while they wait for super rugby season to wrap up…

probably why we are a nation of losers and the ABs are the ABs

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Just to be clear I think the loss of all this talent OS is a huge issue. But it’s a huge issue because our Super Rugby teams are going to be significantly weaker as a result.

The impact on this test squad isn’t anywhere near as significant, IMO.
Hardly the result the proponents of shrink to greatness were predicting, TSR. While losing the Rebels was clearly a financial imperative, the lack of foresight and planning by RA is likely to end in a weakened Aussie Super Rugby cohort, subsequently leading to more issues at the Wallaby level. Apparently, few of the castaway Rebels want to move to the RATahs and other than the Reds the other Franchises don't have funds to take up all the rest.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)

I can’t ever recall our foreign based players been granted a release back to club rugby while they wait for super rugby season to wrap up…

Aren't they both contracted for Super Sides in 2025? I'm not sure what the Top League contracting period is, but surely it's entirely feasible that those contracts have concluded and they're NZRU signed players again?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Neither Barrett nor Savea are still contracted in Japan.

They didn't need to be granted a release.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Herbert Moran (7)
I am confident that Schmidt is a far better coach than Eddie Eyebrows, a far better man manager, and an infinitely better human being. He has a better support team and also a track record of success, I don't think he would have taken the job on if he thought he would fail at the first hurdle.

I hope:)
What's wrong with my eyebrows?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)

That’s fine. I never actually said we should only pick from the domestic comp. But you still haven’t named the players you thing were better who were available to be selected. No doubt you have some and I’m not trying to diminish your opinion - but I can’t think of any who were hands down better in their spot.

People are criticising Schmidt because he did, and he made a point of that, but he also said he never ruled anyone out. But where he had to make a choice he picked the player staying in Australian rugby.

- Skelton, Sio, Koroibete etc aren’t available for selection
- Guys like Holloway, Swinton, Canham, Rodda etc are all comparable but none of them are clearly better than the alternatives. Surely if it’s 50/50 you can see the logic of picking the player who you will have access to 100% of the time
- Nawaqanitwase & Gordon were possible also on contention but again neither were clearly the best option, even if they were staying. So again - like above why not go with who is staying. It would only be petty if they were clearly better choices, which they aren’t IMO
- the very thing people are complaining about - the leakage of players OS - is going to get far worse if we pick those guys on line ball choices. It also makes it much harder to build cohesion. If the best players on a piece of paper made the best team, NSW would’ve won far more State of Origin games