• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

capalaba

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Beale seems to have trouble respecting women. This may not go down too well with the islanders. I know it wouldn't sit well with my family.
Island Boys won't take it to heart, that matter has been dealt with. Bulldogs players at Coffs, Sonny Bill in the toilets and then there is the Aaron Smith incident in the toilets.

Won't be an issue for the Island Boys.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think i agree with Dru, we are not in a position to ignore anybody. Personally i think we should select anyone who is eligible, available and fit. And by eligible i mean anyone here or OS who can play for Oz. I think the days of the Giteau rule should b done with

Reactions: dru

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
But these guys who are being left out aren’t significantly better. I’m a fan of a Rodda but you couldn’t say he demanded selection to the point he couldn’t be ignored. Hanigan, Holloway & Swinton were good - but it’s arguable that guys like Cale, Wright & Wilson were all better. Nawaqanitwase wasn’t great this year, Petaia is still injured. Canham has his fans but he’s hardly a ‘must pick’. The omission of Swain and Lonergan surprised me but they haven’t been dumped for Going OS.

The really big impact of these guys is squad depth and the erosion of talent across our super rugby teams. If people here are convinced one or two of these individual players would make a big difference to the test squad then, fair enough, but I don’t see if personally. (NB if we have a bad injury run then - yes, some of these guys may well be missed).

In that sense Schmidt has an ideal window to introduce a bunch of new guys to the test squad.

Whether you think this is a good squad or not, who has been left out, who was available for selection, who would make a material difference?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
But these guys who are being left out aren’t significantly better. I’m a fan of a Rodda but you couldn’t say he demanded selection to the point he couldn’t be ignored. Hanigan, Holloway & Swinton were good - but it’s arguable that guys like Cale, Wright & Wilson were all better. Nawaqanitwase wasn’t great this year, Petaia is still injured. Canham has his fans but he’s hardly a ‘must pick’. The omission of Swain and Lonergan surprised me but they haven’t been dumped for Going OS.

The really big impact of these guys is squad depth and the erosion of talent across our super rugby teams. If people here are convinced one or two of these individual players would make a big difference to the test squad then, fair enough, but I don’t see if personally. (NB if we have a bad injury run then - yes, some of these guys may well be missed).

In that sense Schmidt has an ideal window to introduce a bunch of new guys to the test squad.

Whether you think this is a good squad or not, who has been left out, who was available for selection, who would make a material difference?
100%

dru

David Wilson (68)
But these guys who are being left out aren’t significantly better.

We get into strange metrics in defining "significant", but a squad that is more-or-less our strongest isn't what I was concerned about. The view seemed to be that we don't have time to work with a better group, because something something rats and sinking ships. I say we don't have time NOT to work with the best squad that Schmidt thinks is available.

We have been through some utter humiliations with the Wallabies recently, and that on the back of falling well out of the top 5. We should not be thinking about the end of year tour or the Lions. Rugby in this country needs shoring up right now. Against Wales and Georgia. That is our level right there. We need to give these oppositions the respect that the Wallabies performances demand.

Fans should be demanding the utter best available of selection right now.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
We get into strange metrics in defining "significant", but a squad that is more-or-less our strongest isn't what I was concerned about. The view seemed to be that we don't have time to work with a better group, because something something rats and sinking ships. I say we don't have time NOT to work with the best squad that Schmidt thinks is available.

We have been through some utter humiliations with the Wallabies recently, and that on the back of falling well out of the top 5. We should not be thinking about the end of year tour or the Lions. Rugby in this country needs shoring up right now. Against Wales and Georgia. That is our level right there. We need to give these oppositions the respect that the Wallabies performances demand.

Fair enough - but who isn’t there, that was available for selection (ie. not Skelton) that should be?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Just to be clear I think the loss of all this talent OS is a huge issue. But it’s a huge issue because our Super Rugby teams are going to be significantly weaker as a result.

The impact on this test squad isn’t anywhere near as significant, IMO.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just to be clear I think the loss of all this talent OS is a huge issue. But it’s a huge issue because our Super Rugby teams are going to be significantly weaker as a result.

Cumulative effect of talent drain is why we are 9th and no longer around 2-3, which is more or less where we were at 10-15 years back before the drain really kicked in.

Linerunner2023

Watty Friend (18)

The impact of the drain does effect super rugby and the test team
Like nz and savea even said get with the times the game and scene is changing with more players moving to Europe and Japan and even NZ are looking closer at it for particular players
Unless we open up like SA and pick the best we are going to go further backwards and super rugby is becoming less attractive and more lucrative offers overseas this will become our only option at some point
SA have won 2 RWC now doing it, I’m sure rugby in Australia would improve if we won a RWC as well because of it!
Guys like Sio, Skelton, Kerevi at his best is the most dominant 12 around and we have nothing close, koribete and others we need experience and actual quality players
We had 1 side in the top 4 in super rugby and they were barely a match against the chiefs and blues but then expect to field a competitive side against them internationally with all of our local “talent”?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m specifically talking about guys available now, for THIS squad. Talking about the overall impact (which I don’t deny) OR listing names of players who AREN’T available for selection for this series doesn’t address the point I am making.

As an aside - Sio wasn’t in our best team when he was here. I’d suggest Hodgeman and Slipper are both probably better choices and, given he isn’t going to be available at regular points, I don’t see why you’d bring him in.

DropGoal

Larry Dwyer (12)

But when Eddie jones did this ……….

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think i agree with Dru, we are not in a position to ignore anybody. Personally i think we should select anyone who is eligible, available and fit. And by eligible i mean anyone here or OS who can play for Oz. I think the days of the Giteau rule should b done with
I’d guess that this is coming faster than most think. The policy for the RC will be interesting and with a view to the Lions series next year I think we will go full Saffa.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Who exactly are saviour players of Australian rugby that are overseas? How many are there?
Good point there aren't really any and apart from Skelton (who would be the only one really IMO) they were trash at the WC, Pete Same is deserving of being in the squad

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Who exactly are saviour players of Australian rugby that are overseas? How many are there?
Not the saviours but definitely a few blokes that could add a little spine. Right now Skelton, Koreibete, The Arnolds(although they might be past it) and maybe Scotty Sio due to lack of props.
There are no “saviours” but with Super Rugby collapsing on itself slowly but surely, soon we will have a model like SA and pick OS players at will. NZ are considering the same. It is the future of the game when players will chase big dollars in Europe and Japan but return home to represent.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Not the saviours but definitely a few blokes that could add a little spine. Right now Skelton, Koreibete, The Arnolds(although they might be past it) and maybe Scotty Sio due to lack of props.
There are no “saviours” but with Super Rugby collapsing on itself slowly but surely, soon we will have a model like SA and pick OS players at will. NZ are considering the same. It is the future of the game when players will chase big dollars in Europe and Japan but return home to represent.
Not Richie Arnold based off last year

Srgnt Short Ball

Chris McKivat (8)

Spot on.