• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Captaincy options are short for Scmidt. Slipper cant play enough minutes and there are very few players who are guaranteed a spot. It probably leaves Alalatoa, Wright (no guaranteed spot), Mcreight and Kellaway.
Kellaway more likely a VC, so I think Mcreight might be a solid option, lead from the front player. I think he captained u20s, but not much since then.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
Yes there is an obvious reason, they both didn’t play well enough this season
See that’s so inconsistent, you have Beale who was selected based purely on past glories, but you don’t pick mark , who was probably our best back at the RWC, cause he had average year in a garbage team ?? …

bs it was because he’s headed to the roosters

DropGoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd say the truth is pretty simple...

Beale was selected because he did play well this year.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) was not because he's going to the Roosters.
I don’t know, He played like half a season , he wasn’t amazing …. past glories had some influence ..

But I agree with your statement about mark going to league .. and that’s not right imo

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd say the truth is pretty simple...

Beale was selected because he did play well this year.

Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) was not because he's going to the Roosters.
Nawaqanitawase was playing pretty badly this season, Beale had better moments in a few games than Nawaqanitawase did in a whole season

Tomthumb

Desmond Connor (43)
See that’s so inconsistent, you have Beale who was selected based purely on past glories, but you don’t pick mark , who was probably our best back at the RWC, cause he had average year in a garbage team ?? …

bs it was because he’s headed to the roosters
Mark was terrible this year, Tahs best performance of the year was when he was dropped. And the “best back at the RWC” is pretty funny, it’s like being the tallest Smurf, hardly an accomplishment

Either he just forgot how to play rugby or his heart really isn’t in it. Either way, I don’t see why he should be rewarded with a Wallabies jersey off the back of poor form and leaving the sport that invested in his development at the first possible opportunity

This isn’t a club team, it’s a national team. Teams like NZ and Sputh Africa will always be hard to beat regardless of player talent, because their players are desperate to play for their country. We need players with the same desperation to be wallabies

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mark was terrible this year, Tahs best performance of the year was when he was dropped. And the “best back at the RWC” is pretty funny, it’s like being the tallest Smurf, hardly an accomplishment

I thought his form at the back end of the season was much better.

He was among our best couple of players in most of the last few games.

Given he's leaving I still wouldn't have picked him in the Wallabies squad but likewise I think discussions around his form have been cemented in the first half of the season and not really revisited.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought his form at the back end of the season was much better.

He was among our best couple of players in most of the last few games.

Given he's leaving I still wouldn't have picked him in the Wallabies squad but likewise I think discussions around his form have been cemented in the first half of the season and not really revisited.
While he improved in the back half of the season, I don't think it was enough of an improvement to unstick the impression of his bad run of form. Maybe he really was in the departure lounge all season?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)'s form in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) last season also wasn't too great...

Ultimately, if he wasn't going to the NRL he probably would've been selected.

But completely understand Schmidt leaving out anyone who is not sticking around considering everything that's occurred in Australian rugby over the last year, the rebuild he has to oversee and the importance of the Lions and Australian RWC coming up.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Tom, I think you have a truism here, but not perhaps fully making connections...

And the “best back at the RWC” is pretty funny, it’s like being the tallest Smurf, hardly an accomplishment
We need players with the same desperation to be wallabies

It has to be a mental challenge to aspire to be a tall smurf, especially if you were involved in the initial smurfification of the Wallabies.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) bulked up too much over the off-season and lost a step. He was huge. Once he dropped a bit of weight towards the back half of the season and his pace improved he certainly seemed to be playing better and was worth a spot in the Wallabies I thought, but I don't really care too much that he wasn't selected without a contract for next year.

DropGoal

Larry Dwyer (12)

Either he just forgot how to play rugby or his heart really isn’t in it. Either way, I don’t see why he should be rewarded with a Wallabies jersey off the back of poor form and leaving the sport that invested in his development at the first possible opportunity

This isn’t a club team, it’s a national team. Teams like NZ and Sputh Africa will always be hard to beat regardless of player talent, because their players are desperate to play for their country. We need players with the same desperation to be wallabies
look if you ask me , I think mark would lift for wallabies games going on past test rugby performances.. but youre entitled to your opinion..

but let’s be honest lots of other players could have made the squad too - Koroibete, Kerevi, Ned Hanigan,Swinton, Uelese, Izack Rodda,
Izaia Perese - and the decision not to select them wasn’t based on performance
- but rather where they play or are going to play club football ..

So it seems some players are selected on performance while others on external factors-

so again the inconsistency is what’s annoying .

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
look if you ask me , I think mark would lift for wallabies games going on past test rugby performances.. but youre entitled to your opinion..

but let’s be honest lots of other players could have made the squad too - Koroibete, Kerevi, Ned Hanigan,Swinton, Uelese, Izack Rodda,
Izaia Perese - and the decision not to select them wasn’t based on performance
- but rather where they play or are going to play club football ..

So it seems some players are selected on performance while others on external factors-

so again the inconsistency is what’s annoying .
Sorry where's the inconsistency? He's painfully consistent. If you are committed to Australian rugby and merit selection, you're chosen. That's it.

Last edited: