• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That Wharton (spelling?) kid looks to have serious potential too.
Werchon and I agree he looked really good. TBH I was surprised Kalani kept his spot immediately upon Tate’s return.

At the end of the day Tate has been around long enough to have a quiet period and whilst I do think he struggled in the back half I am confident he will average out to be the best halfback in Aus for the next little while.

Definitely would not mind seeing a challenger come through who was a much more technical player though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well the reds scored 30 more tries than the Tahs this season so it’s fairly logical that Tate is going to have more try assists isn’t it? And I was waiting for the ‘yeah but’ re tate’s cards. Maybe Jake has improved his discipline? And you need to reread the context of my post, in particular the bit where I said ‘if you were starting from scratch’.

It wasn’t intended to be a ‘our halfback is better than yours’ slinging match, I was simply pointing out that I hadn’t lost faith in the Reds Wallabies contenders, except maybe Tate.

It’s actually not a stat that’s displayed, speed of service at the breakdown, that is Tates biggest failing this season.
KOB, I watched Tate's game pretty closely last night and it appeared to me that the Chiefs had him (and Lynagh) as a danger and put a lot of focus on him including keeping him at any breakdown he attended. Contrary to many on the game thread I thought he was one of their best.
I will be surprised if Schmidt picks anyone else to start in the Wallabies.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds 9 and 10 were under enormous pressure from the kick off. No doubt the game plan for the Chiefs. Both Tate and more so Lynagh committed and showed a lot of heart but the Reds forwards were just steamrolled in the first half. Not much Tate could do about that.
Joe, this should be the banner statement over the Reds game. bloody disappointing!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I love Liam Wright, and I am not disparaging his performance, but using it as an example. Liam Wright is not an international 6 and people have been calling for his inclusion there. I have been saying he is the backup 7. Same as Uru isn't a lock. Last night was a bit of a boys v men look. Bigger, stronger, faster opposite numbers.

We had a very small pack that couldn't get over the advantage line, couldn't secure own ball and had a plan to not contest opposition ball, yet still couldn't match numbers, needing 2 players to take down a chief whilst passively defending, granting momentum.

I think our forwards are all great, but as a unit, they lack the balance across workrate and impact, brain and brawn to collectively step up in their existing roles to the wallabies (or against top Super Rugby teams). To go to the next level, Smith has to be partnered with a big man. Uru is a 6/8, Wright is a 7/20 and you can't have a 11/12/13/14/15 all 6ft,90kg or under.
Great summation of the game. Exactly what I saw. I was shouting at the TV after 10 mins of watching the Chiefs forwards hitting the breakdown in pods of three and we put one or two in to secure our ball.
The other thing is why don't some of the Reds not know the rules? Faesslar's try that wasn't was a blatant second go as the rules say you can reach out and place the ball. He looked like someone stole his lollies when it was announced.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't think he has been great this season.

I think Thomas will pass him next season in the Reds pecking order.
I reckon Tate's best is still in front of him. Can see him being in the mix for the Wallaby spot for years yet. I don't see Thomas in that class at all.

I won't be surprised if Werchon surpasses Thomas along the way.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
KOB, I watched Tate's game pretty closely last night and it appeared to me that the Chiefs had him (and Lynagh) as a danger and put a lot of focus on him including keeping him at any breakdown he attended. Contrary to many on the game thread I thought he was one of their best.
Agree Stillmissit - although I did think Tate tried to milk a few penalties last night when he should have just played. I am surprised by the level of criticism on here - but the test sqaud will come out soon enough and we’ll see what Schmidt actually thinks.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Agree Stillmissit - although I did think Tate tried to milk a few penalties last night when he should have just played. I am surprised by the level of criticism on here - but the test sqaud will come out soon enough and we’ll see what Schmidt actually thinks.
Yeah, look the conversation last night went a bit pear shaped. I appreciate that some of the Reds guys were a bit sensitive, but all I was really trying to say was that if you were a rugby tragic from Mars and landed in Australia with no knowledge of the history of the 2 players you could make a case for selecting Gordon over McDermott, and then produced some stats to show they were pretty even with one better than the other in various aspects, Jake had a pretty good season I thought. The actual point of the post was to reassure the Reds supporters that I didn't expect last night's performance to affect their front line Wallabies contenders, but if their was a question mark over any of them it was Tate. Again, just my opinion.

I fully expect the halfbacks in the 23 to be White and McDermott, and now that IFL was excluded I expect Jake to be the third one. It also could be Lonergan, let's see how he goes tomorrow.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
although I did think Tate tried to milk a few penalties last night when he should have just played.
This was my biggest criticism of his game last night - needed to speed it up & play the ref more!

Too many times he was waiting for the red rk blow something and it resulted if the chiefs getting the ball!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, look the conversation last night went a bit pear shaped. I appreciate that some of the Reds guys were a bit sensitive, but all I was really trying to say was that if you were a rugby tragic from Mars and landed in Australia with no knowledge of the history of the 2 players you could make a case for selecting Gordon over McDermott, and then produced some stats to show they were pretty even with one better than the other in various aspects, Jake had a pretty good season I thought. The actual point of the post was to reassure the Reds supporters that I didn't expect last night's performance to affect their front line Wallabies contenders, but if their was a question mark over any of them it was Tate. Again, just my opinion.

I fully expect the halfbacks in the 23 to be White and McDermott, and now that IFL was excluded I expect Jake to be the third one. It also could be Lonergan, let's see how he goes tomorrow.
To be honest KOB the extent of my push back was more against the comment that some of us don’t understand logic (or something to that effect). But the tone of my response was probably more than what was warranted for the comment.

I think it’s obvious I think you overplay the value of some of the Tahs and the ex-Tahs in terms of Wallabies selection. But I don’t mean anything personal by that - I find it amusing as much as anything. We need more passionate fans and if it tilts your judgement a bit, so be it. I’m not so stupid as to think my own biases don’t influence my thinking.

I take a bit of exception though when posters start making comments that imply ‘if you don’t follow my logic you don’t know rugby etc’ which was how I took the follow up comment.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
To be honest KOB the extent of my push back was more against the comment that some of us don’t understand logic (or something to that effect). But the tone of my response was probably more than what was warranted for the comment.

I think it’s obvious I think you overplay the value of some of the Tahs and the ex-Tahs in terms of Wallabies selection. But I don’t mean anything personal by that - I find it amusing as much as anything. We need more passionate fans and if it tilts your judgement a bit, so be it. I’m not so stupid as to think my own biases don’t influence my thinking.

I take a bit of exception though when posters start making comments that imply ‘if you don’t follow my logic you don’t know rugby etc’ which was how I took the follow up comment.
TBH I hadn’t ever noticed it until you highlighted it a couple of weeks ago when I made the outrageous claim that Bell should walk straight into the Wallabies when he’s fit. Which was more a recognition of the fact that we don’t have a lot of depth there than the fact that he’s about our only player with world class potential. Ok maybe Valetini as well.

I can take a bit of shit, I got used to it both on the footy field and in the real world. I’m sure we’d be fine over a beer.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry mate totally disagree with you, Tate had a shocker. Chiefs targeted our halves because they were both suspect on D.

On attack the rushed Tate because if his slow delivery. I watched a replay and mate he was frustratingly slow. Werchon and Thomas have a better pass.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
sorry.... as a neutral, and a massive appreciater of the reds, they were blown off the park last night. We can carry on about this and that, but they choked. 31-nil is a shocker and the glee club claiming it was a good season need a reality check.
So disappointed with last night's performance....

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone else notice Carter Gordon changed his goal kicking tech today?

He has been kicking with an upright lean all year, but changed to the modern forward lean tech today and slot them for fun.

Small sample size but hopefully makes a sustainable difference.