• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ok just pick out the stats where Tate is better. As you were.
I'm trying to work out what you think the stats should show for a half back? Run metres and tackle completion are not really the key metrics there, certainly not compared to something like try assists which is bread and butter for a halfback.

As far as discipline goes Tate had his red card this year yes but Gordon has 3 yellows in 21 tests, an insane rate of offending from a halfback.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm trying to work out what you think the stats should show for a half back? Run metres and tackle completion are not really the key metrics there, certainly not compared to something like try assists which is bread and butter for a halfback.

As far as discipline goes Tate had his red card this year yes but Gordon has 3 yellows in 21 tests, an insane rate of offending from a halfback.
Well the reds scored 30 more tries than the Tahs this season so it’s fairly logical that Tate is going to have more try assists isn’t it? And I was waiting for the ‘yeah but’ re tate’s cards. Maybe Jake has improved his discipline? And you need to reread the context of my post, in particular the bit where I said ‘if you were starting from scratch’.

It wasn’t intended to be a ‘our halfback is better than yours’ slinging match, I was simply pointing out that I hadn’t lost faith in the Reds Wallabies contenders, except maybe Tate.

It’s actually not a stat that’s displayed, speed of service at the breakdown, that is Tates biggest failing this season.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well the reds scored 30 more tries than the Tahs this season so it’s fairly logical that Tate is going to have more try assists isn’t it? And I was waiting for the ‘yeah but’ re tate’s cards. Maybe Jake has improved his discipline? And you need to reread the context of my post, in particular the bit where I said ‘if you were starting from scratch’.

It wasn’t intended to be a ‘our halfback is better than yours’ slinging match, I was simply pointing out that I hadn’t lost faith in the Reds Wallabies contenders, except maybe Tate.
It also follows that a team whose halfback scores more tries and has more try assists will score more tries overall.

You posted the stats "as a starting point" for your reasoning that Gordon was ahead of Tate when only looking at this season, but to me they pretty clearly show Tate ahead of Gordon and you still haven't made any real argument to the contrary. How do you think they show Gordon ahead of Tate for the season?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It also follows that a team whose halfback scores more tries and has more try assists will score more tries overall.

You posted the stats "as a starting point" for your reasoning that Gordon was ahead of Tate when only looking at this season, but to me they pretty clearly show Tate ahead of Gordon and you still haven't made any real argument to the contrary. How do you think they show Gordon ahead of Tate for the season?
I didn’t. Highlander implied I must be on the cones so I brought up the stats to show they were pretty even. You took it next level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It’s actually not a stat that’s displayed, speed of service at the breakdown, that is Tates biggest failing this season.
They both kind of suck...

Yoda

Johnnie Wallace (23)

KOB… you can’t argue with someone who doesn’t understand logic. :) and Wilson…. the poor old Reds were bloody terrible.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I actually agree that Tate hasn’t been his usual self since coming back from suspension in terms of game management but one thing I have noticed is his pass from the base has improved to a point where I would say it’s above average for a super level halfback.

His confidence will come back.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wait - so the Reds have a bad game and Jake Gordon is now Wallabies half and anyone who disagrees doesn’t follow logic??? You guys know the Tahs were tripe all year, right?

I assume you guys are winding us up - in which case fair play to you. Otherwise FMD you guys pull some horseshit out of your arse.

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Far out. Reds dudes, you are now as relevant as us Tahs and Force supporters for the rest of the soup season. Go Rebs, go Brums.

My initial post was in praise of the Reds' Wallabies contenders, with a concern about one player. Get over it, it's only my opinion.

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

All for cynical play. Thats his go. Slows down his team. Should have played for England in the 90s.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds 9 and 10 were under enormous pressure from the kick off. No doubt the game plan for the Chiefs. Both Tate and more so Lynagh committed and showed a lot of heart but the Reds forwards were just steamrolled in the first half. Not much Tate could do about that.

Mr Pilfer

Jim Clark (26)
Looking back at Wallabies side Eddie picked vs Wales in World Cup there were only 5 Brumbies in the 23. They have been Australia’s dominant and most consistent side for a few years now and have been under represented. Regardless of the reasons for the above, hopefully this year a few more get rewarded. I would have 8 in the starting 15 (from a force supporter)

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I love Liam Wright, and I am not disparaging his performance, but using it as an example. Liam Wright is not an international 6 and people have been calling for his inclusion there. I have been saying he is the backup 7. Same as Uru isn't a lock. Last night was a bit of a boys v men look. Bigger, stronger, faster opposite numbers.

We had a very small pack that couldn't get over the advantage line, couldn't secure own ball and had a plan to not contest opposition ball, yet still couldn't match numbers, needing 2 players to take down a chief whilst passively defending, granting momentum.

I think our forwards are all great, but as a unit, they lack the balance across workrate and impact, brain and brawn to collectively step up in their existing roles to the wallabies (or against top Super Rugby teams). To go to the next level, Smith has to be partnered with a big man. Uru is a 6/8, Wright is a 7/20 and you can't have a 11/12/13/14/15 all 6ft,90kg or under.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I actually agree that Tate hasn’t been his usual self since coming back from suspension in terms of game management but one thing I have noticed is his pass from the base has improved to a point where I would say it’s above average for a super level halfback.

His confidence will come back.
I don't think he has been great this season.

I think Thomas will pass him next season in the Reds pecking order.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Tate is too slow at the breakdown, he is reluctant to reach in and provide quick ball. He also needs to learn to pass from the bass without pulling back before delivery, watch Aaron Smith he is perfect from the base.

Tate is undersized, he was targeted by the Chiefs as his defence is not up to standard.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Tate is too slow at the breakdown, he is reluctant to reach in and provide quick ball. He also needs to learn to pass from the bass without pulling back before delivery, watch Aaron Smith he is perfect from the base.

Tate is undersized, he was targeted by the Chiefs as his defence is not up to standard.
No coach is picking a scrum half based on their size. It’s so irrelevant to the discussion because if your no9 physicality is an issue for the team then you are asking all the wrong questions.

On saying that I agree with many on here on Tate. Actually think he’s one of the more overrated players in Australia and his core skills are poor. Reds looked pretty decent when he was suspended.