• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SMH reporting that the training squad (so far) includes

Beale
Pietsch
Edmed
Gamble
J Gordon
Amatosero
Gleeson
Foketi
White
Kuenzle
Stewart
Donaldson
Tizzano
Rodda.

It's incredible just how poorly their website is mapped out, that the article only appears if you search for it or click on Payto's name from another article on the rugby page...

Edit: it now appears after a 20 min delay.

capalaba

Chris McKivat (8)
Is that practical though? In this scenario there are at least more than a handful of blokes who are definitely not going to be playing for the Wallabies this year or maybe ever.

Can we afford to pay them?
If you are invited into an All Blacks training camp, it is outside of your Super Rugby commitments although your Super Rugby season is done. The selectors are gambling on the players in camp being ready to be called up to higher honours if required. The players should be paid and not just for match appearances, no one works for free.

footy1>31

Charlie Fox (21)
mark Nawaqanitawase not picked ... be stupid of nrl clubs not to ask of his availability for rest of the year, and would be embarassing if was running out in an nrl grand final, whilst the wallabies get pumped. building and blooding players doesn't work in this country anymore, just pick the best team to win the game

whitefalcon

Dave Cowper (27)
So with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) not picked you have to think that the back three will come from a combo of

Kellaway
Wright
Ryan
Toole
Muirhead (maybe)
Suli (pls no)
Lancaster (is he injured?)
Pietsch
Beale

I'd like to see
11. Toole/Ryan
14. Kellaway
15. Wright

snoopycatchicken

Stan Wickham (3)
So with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) not picked you have to think that the back three will come from a combo of

Kellaway
Wright
Ryan
Toole
Muirhead (maybe)
Suli (pls no)
Lancaster (is he injured?)
Pietsch
Beale

I'd like to see
11. Toole/Ryan
14. Kellaway
15. Wright
Without NWQ here, the back 3 is looking very small. Pretty much the only positive of Vunivalu...

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Article mentions eight players selected from each team, but only names fourteen in total...
Not exactly any obvious names that were left out either, given it specifically states that the departing and injured players were not considered.

If I had to guess at one extra from each team it'd be Williams from the Force and Holloway from the tahs, which fits with the positions they seem to be looking most closely at. That said it could just as easily be 7 per team.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
mark Nawaqanitawase not picked ... be stupid of nrl clubs not to ask of his availability for rest of the year, and would be embarassing if was running out in an nrl grand final, whilst the wallabies get pumped. building and blooding players doesn't work in this country anymore, just pick the best team to win the game
That's right but this season few Tahs players deserved been picked TBH. So in this case is OK

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Like the idea of a loose forward or scrum half as captain regardless of personal qualities. Always near the ref for the full 80 and able to stay in his ear.
For this reason, and if Schmidt thinks like you (& me), then I'd go with Liam Wright at 6 & Bobby V at 8.
LW has experience as captain, who talks well with the refs, does a lot of the hidden work in the rucks & mauls (is a thinking player), calls line outs and is the third jumper who's stats in this regard might surprise you.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So, with anyone heading O/S being ruled out it looks like Schmidt is going full bore towards developing a squad for the Lions tour. Further, I wonder if those (incorrect) articles earlier in the year saying he was doing away with the Giteau Law actually were correct but that he's going full domestic instead - if we are trying to replicate the Irish model this would make sense. TBH I think Skelton is the only foreign based player I would select, further if we are going to keep the GL my preference is it only be used for World class players.

Just for shits and giggles, to see how the squad is forming:
4. Amatosero
5. Rodda
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. White
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Kuenzle
15. Beale

20. Tizzano