• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rightly for sure.

Form closer to the tests massively outweighs early season form. Then there's the fact that it's against generally tougher opposition.
I mostly agree, but I think the fact that it's the back end of the season and all the kiwi teams might give those games an outsized impact. Better that it leans to far that way then the other though

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)
His defensive stats this year are 36/42 according to super.rugby.

I would question whether Kellaway is going to be a locked in starter. He had an excellent debut test season last year but he's certainly not playing as well so far this year in a very underwhelming team. How much of that is just the Rebels and he'll bring back that excellent form when the tests start is unknown. Probably his best attribute is the second fullback aspect of wing play which separates him from several of the other wing contenders.
I guess the same could be said about last season for Kellaway. He was solid for the Rebels, wasn't really a standout. But when he puts on the gold jersey, he grows another arm and leg... I don't think they can look past him.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
He's a reasonable chance for the EOYT assuming we don't select Japanese players again.

Depending on how they all work out I can certainly see the number being increased for the RWC which is a far better situation to bring in more overseas based players.
Agreed IF we don't take Japanese based players again.

However even if we aren't, and we do not intend on increasing the cap for RWC, then it is probably a wasted space and chance for our locks to get more test match exposure on the EOYT.

Do you think they will increase the cap? The impression I got was the 3 is the hard number for this cycle.

In either case he could return to Aus and be eligible. I doubt he would though.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
On the JOC (James O'Connor) v QC (Quade Cooper) discussion- I'm pretty sure we will see them both get good minutes v NZ. Probably JOC (James O'Connor) to start the 1st game then QC (Quade Cooper) 2nd or 3rd depending on how JOC (James O'Connor) performs.

I agree with what a couple people said a few pages back... QC (Quade Cooper) is an out and out 10. JOC (James O'Connor) is developing into a good 10, definitely the best we have based in Oz, however I don't believe he reads the game or has those 10 instincts which QC (Quade Cooper) has.

Now I say that as someone who has always been HIGHLY critical of QC (Quade Cooper). I've never been a member of the QC (Quade Cooper) fan club. He was always too rocks and diamonds for me as well quite a divisive team member(the latter could be said for JOC (James O'Connor) too). My attitude has completely changed after seeing his performances last year, as well as his professionalism in the couple years leading up to last year.

I think QC (Quade Cooper) is just hitting his straps as a genuine test match quality 10, based on last year. He underplayed his hand, controlled the game extremely well as well as sprinkling in those QC (Quade Cooper) moments of magic at the right times. It will be interesting to see if he can replicate those performances this year, against NZ in NZ. I think that will be the real test and reckon DR will give him that opportunity.

At the end of the day I'm excited to see how both of them go v NZ. Great to have legit competition there.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
No I'm not having an aneurysm, there appears to be some new black magic on this forum which adds James O'Connor after you type JOC (James O'Connor)

Edit... see!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the two major points in the battle between the two are having Kerevi outside the 10. Cooper had the benefit of that whereas JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) didn't.

Cooper is 34 and more than two years older than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). If there's any doubt he's not still going to be the guy at the RWC next year then I don't see how Rennie will make him first choice now. We don't have a lot of tests to get it together.
To me JOC (James O'Connor) has to start first test for England…on Quade can see benefit bringing him out and on the bench but equally not a must have like koroibete and Kerevi to mind

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) (Fumbles Fainga'a)
AAA (Average Ala'alatoa)
Hanigan (Ned Hanigan)

It seems to be working as intended for me.
This seems less insulting to our pacific brothers then the abbreviations... Suppose it's expected from a Northern beaches white Tah's fan... Jks

Rugby follower

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dark horse for World Cup. Any chance of getting Corey Toole from the 7’s team into a super rugby team next year for selection into the World Cup squad? He has something that our wingers lack genuine speed and great swerve. He would need to play in a team that uses its width, any suggestions? Worry about being thrown into the Reds as hunter rarely passes to his outside support, Brumbies’s play it too tight for him. Reminds me of a strong outside back from league from a few years ago before they all became hit up merchants. Worth a punt I reckon, has scored 26 tries this season in 7’s to lead all scorers.