• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Skelton hasn't had any contact with Wallabies set up since November. Still has hopes for England series, think he'll be disappointed. But speaks very highly of Rennie & his 2021 Wallabies experience and is very keen for RWC but he doesn't sound too hopeful. Interesting..

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Skelton hasn't had any contact with Wallabies set up since November. Still has hopes for England series, think he'll be disappointed. But speaks very highly of Rennie & his 2021 Wallabies experience and is very keen for RWC but he doesn't sound too hopeful. Interesting..
You would have to think he is very long odds of being considered as one of the 3 overseas based players. At this stage he probably sits 5th at best. Might need to make a salary sacrifice and return to Aus if he wants to chase that dream. Cooper, Kerevi, Marika and Arnold > Skelton. That plus the fact we have a really good group of locks coming through in Aus rugby now. I cannot see him being selected.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
None of them consistently break tackles on kick return or are a guarantee front foot ball.
Petaia has been electric on kick returns. He‘s odds on to beat at least the first defender every time. He will get better, as he did last week. He just needs to figure it all out. He has the physical attributes of Folau but nowhere near that level of experience just yet.
Watch this space.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You would have to think he is very long odds of being considered as one of the 3 overseas based players. At this stage he probably sits 5th at best. Might need to make a salary sacrifice and return to Aus if he wants to chase that dream. Cooper, Kerevi, Marika and Arnold > Skelton. That plus the fact we have a really good group of locks coming through in Aus rugby now. I cannot see him being selected.

He's a reasonable chance for the EOYT assuming we don't select Japanese players again.

Depending on how they all work out I can certainly see the number being increased for the RWC which is a far better situation to bring in more overseas based players.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I agree with that. Definitely not a position in need. But he's just so unique. You could tailor entire gameplans around him though that's not ideal for a player who gets minimum prep with the team.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
He's a reasonable chance for the EOYT assuming we don't select Japanese players again.

Depending on how they all work out I can certainly see the number being increased for the RWC which is a far better situation to bring in more overseas based players.

Agreed, if the rumours are true and we have a 5 test tour I think Arnold, Skelton and depending how are hookers are fairing potentially even Latu or BPA will be bought into the squad for EOYT tour.

Rennie will want to get a better feel for all his available options ahead of RWC 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) will get the gig over Cooper.

Petaia at 13 seems like an unbelievable longshot given we are likely to have Kerevi, Paisami, Ikitau and Perese in the squad and Petaia is playing fullback. I do think Petaia is a red hot chance of being picked at 15 in the first test.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) will get the gig over Cooper.

Petaia at 13 seems like an unbelievable longshot given we are likely to have Kerevi, Paisami, Ikitau and Perese in the squad and Petaia is playing fullback. I do think Petaia is a red hot chance of being picked at 15 in the first test.
I just think Cooper is an out and out 10, where JOC (James O'Connor) is solid but not a game breaker.
I know everyone is talking up Petaia at fullback but I think Campbell is better and a great footballer.
Not what Rennie will pick but it would be good to see..

Last edited:

dru

David Wilson (68)
Backline First Test:

9 Tate
11Koroibete
10 Cooper
12 Kerevi
13 Petaia
14 Kellaway
15 Campbell
21 White
22 JOC (James O'Connor)
23 Perese

I don't see Quade straight into the starting team, JOC (James O'Connor) at #10 for me. Jock's best shot is #23 if he can show versatility into first receiver not just wing/#15. Petaia will be #15, if not Petaia then Banks. Jock and Hodge fight for 23. If we do have a versatile #23 then JOC (James O'Connor) to #10 and Cooper is carrying water.

Petaia won't be #13 when we have solid options there. Paisami, Ikitau, Perese. I'd imagine Kerevi does walk in though.

Something like this

9 Tate
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Koroibete/Daugunu
12 Kerevi
13 Paisami
14 Kellaway
15 Petaia/Banks

21 White
22 Perese (move Paisami to 12 if Kerevi is injured)
23 Hodge/Jock

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Koroibete isn’t available I wouldn’t be surprised to see Perese on the wing.
Really don't want to see this unless he plays the rest of the tahs season there first. Back three positional play is even more important than it has been in the past with the addition of the 50/22 and it's already a weakness of his at 13. We've got enough options at both wing and centre that we can bring him on slow and give him a feel for test match rugby, rather than throwing him in out of position.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Really don't want to see this unless he plays the rest of the tahs season there first. Back three positional play is even more important than it has been in the past with the addition of the 50/22 and it's already a weakness of his at 13. We've got enough options at both wing and centre that we can bring him on slow and give him a feel for test match rugby, rather than throwing him in out of position.

Agree, positioning and work under the high ball is more important then ever for the wingers, Perese was never that great under the high-ball to start with so it would be a big ask to expect him to slide into starting wing and pick up against a test team who uses that tactic extensively.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Perese knows how to play wing. He’s done it at test level before. Personally I feel it may be his best spot and his power game would be a huge benefit to Australia’s game plan if Koroibete and/or Kerevi were missing as he is next closest in type to them (but I’d prefer personally not to see him in the 12 or 13 jersey at test level).

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair enough - I stand corrected. I thought he played on the wing last year. I’ll stand by my opinion that I think his game is well suited to the 11 jersey - but I’ll completely concede both that my memory is clearly letting me down and that his chances of being picked on the wing are probably not great.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
White, for his experience.
Cooper
Koroibete
Kerevi
Ikitau, played very well last year and gives the backline balance.
Kellaway
Petaia, because he is playing behind an experience backline that will give him plenty of opportunity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Perese is a strong chance to play on the wing for the Wallabies either as a starter or off the bench. I don't think it will really matter that he isn't playing there this season.

He has a pretty desirable skillset and I think will be really close to our best 23.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He can definitely break a tackle , how many does he make cleanly should be the question with regards to test match footy .