• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Have given this some further thought - I have it as follows:

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Philip
5. Rodda
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikatau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks
16. Kaitu'u
17. Slipper
18. AAA
19. Swain
20. Leota (if fit) / Samu
21. White
22. Hodge
23. Petaia

Really happy with that team, especially the backline - with Hunter, Perese, Wright as quality in reserve, and no room for Beale or Quade.

I'm still unsure of the depth chart in the backrow and would love to find room for McReight in the 23, but it's hard without a test level hybrid lock/6 (e.g. Lukhan, Ned) in the mix. The ABs have Tupou Vaa'i developing rapidly to fill that role and I don't know if Leota or Uru could perhaps be slated to do that long term - or if Jed/Cadeyrn could do it short term.

Petaia unlucky not to start for mine, but his kicking game isn't ready to play fullback against England IMO, and the two wingers are automatic selections.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) has been playing well, as he did last year, but Quade is a pure 5/8. He lives and breathes it and has the vision to direct a test side around the park.
Thats a good side but at the moment I do not see Hodge in it, especially with both Banks and Petaia in the 15. Start Quade at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) takes Hodges spot on the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) has been playing well, as he did last year, but Quade is a pure 5/8. He lives and breathes it and has the vision to direct a test side around the park.
Thats a good side but at the moment I do not see Hodge in it, especially with both Banks and Petaia in the 15. Start Quade at 10 and JOC (James O'Connor) takes Hodges spot on the bench.
JOC (James O'Connor) is very solid, experienced and incredibly consistent

But he is no threat at test level

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s form this year is stronger than Quade's was at the back-end of TRC - but I take your point, let's see how he goes against the Kiwis.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
ironically the biggest threat at test level is a inexperienced, flaky and inconsistent flyhalf……

Which is why he would be my second choice currently for the Wobs with a RWC around the corner, but at sometime we also have to let one of those flaky and inconsistent younglings get that experience and live with the mistakes, Quade and JOC (James O'Connor) are getting ready for their walkers

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor)'s form this year is stronger than Quade's was at the back-end of TRC - but I take your point, let's see how he goes against the Kiwis.
He hasn't played anyone good yet this year, we are still playing internal trials

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Has anyone got eyes on Quade at the moment? His team is playing against the top tier Japanese sides isn't it? So probably an even better form guide than last year when he was picked out of 2nd grade and still managed to perform at international level.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Has anyone got eyes on Quade at the moment? His team is playing against the top tier Japanese sides isn't it? So probably an even better form guide than last year when he was picked out of 2nd grade and still managed to perform at international level.
He's back on the GC launching his clothing brand at the moment

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
He's back on the GC launching his clothing brand at the moment
Is that because they're on a bye week? Or hasn't he been playing?

Sorry when I said does anyone have eyes on him I meant how has he been playing not necessarily where he is at this current point in time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He hasn't played anyone good yet this year, we are still playing internal trials

Yet QC (Quade Cooper) is playing in Japan….

JOC (James O'Connor)’s game this year is far superior than what it was last year. Unfortunately his goal kicking is not test standard and that may work against him.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Is that because they're on a bye week? Or hasn't he been playing?

Sorry when I said does anyone have eyes on him I meant how has he been playing not necessarily where he is at this current point in time.
10-4

Kintetsu is still in Div 2 of the comp I'm 99% sure. Looks like QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't played in a few games, last appearance was 6 March. Obviously a lot of variables at work, but the games he played earlier in the year Kintetsu was thumping teams, whereas recently they've been much closer

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yet QC (Quade Cooper) is playing in Japan….

JOC (James O'Connor)’s game this year is far superior than what it was last year. Unfortunately his goal kicking is not test standard and that may work against him.

One thing for sure, we simply have to nail our kicks. Who is the best kicker in our elite ranks? I don't think there is much between Quade and JOC (James O'Connor)???

Who'd be a selector?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
After all the work he did on his kicking and conversion game in 20/21 with Dave Alred, you'd think he has to be carrying an niggle or something to knock his confidence. 68% conversions so far this season compared to 88% in 21 and 76% in 20. I recall he's had issues with conversions in the past straining his groin (or ankle?), which is why he stepped away from them in the first place

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
One thing for sure, we simply have to nail our kicks. Who is the best kicker in our elite ranks? I don't think there is much between Quade and JOC (James O'Connor)???

Who'd be a selector?
Quade struck at 70% for the wobs last year, and JOC (James O'Connor) did 82% - 30 vs 28 attempts respectively.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Who'd be a selector?

Courtesy of Brett McKay. But I’d suggest is over JOC (James O'Connor) here. He won games for us with his kicking last year.

9D33B646-C0AF-4209-9BB4-64DCCFAB3592.png

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well I was surprised how dominate the Reds scrum was against the Brumbies last match. Also there breakdown work was dominate. I'm hoping more Reds make the forward pack this year.

For the backs fullback looks like weak spot. Banks was on fire before he got injured. A big loss in my opinion. Petaia is getting better every game though, I feel he has cemented his place as the best bench utility option, time will tell if he cracks down a starting jersey (although I still feel 13 is his best position). Would be nice to see Kellaway at 15 more too.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Well I was surprised how dominate the Reds scrum was against the Brumbies last match. Also there breakdown work was dominate. I'm hoping more Reds make the forward pack this year.

For the backs fullback looks like weak spot. Banks was on fire before he got injured. A big loss in my opinion. Petaia is getting better every game though, I feel he has cemented his place as the best bench utility option, time will tell if he cracks down a starting jersey (although I still feel 13 is his best position). Would be nice to see Kellaway at 15 more too.
Thought the Reds shut down the maul pretty effectively as well.

With Banks, Petaia, and Campbell all having exceptional performances at 15 throughout the season so far, I'm not sure how you can call it a weak spot?