• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Unless RA have changed their contracting they have their Players of National Interest as agreed by the EBA, this is a limited pool of 28 or so players(it changed in one of the recent EBA’s).

I think been a player recognised as one of those and in recognised as worthy of a top-up is pretty significant.

RA don’t have a habit of announcing players re-signing who aren’t Wallabies or within this pool, so I don’t buy the PR argument.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was thinking about this selection of 3 players only from Japan. I am wondering if more to this strategically. Like plans to have competition involving Japan in the future or heinkin cup style competition or something. Probably way off radar here but did cross my mine.
Japan could not give a shit.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Japan could not give a shit.
More oz giving a shit my point is if going to have players play overseas better Japan if going to have some competition with Japan teams involved. But I think this is too random and actually thinking through makes no sense hence going to delete that post.
Hi

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think a few Wallaby positions are still really open at this early stage. The two Loose Heads will be Slipper and Bell, but Bell is really starting to push his claim to start. I think hooker remains open, FF (Folau Fainga'a) probably favourite but certainly hasn't nailed it down, Porecki, Kaitu'u and Uelese all still with realistic claims, and Mafi yet to return from injury.
At 9 Tate has been outstanding since returning from injury, and must be pushing his starting claim over White. If Quade and Kerevi are available they play 10 and 12, but if not O'Connor, whose been playing well, nearly gets the job by default. Lolesio, Donaldson and Harrison have been injury plagued, and the two 'next big things', Pasitoa and Gordon, have demonstrated they need another season or two under their belt.
If we don't have Kerevi, is Paisami 12, or is he 13, in which case we have Simone, Foketi and Stewart all performing well at 12. At 13 Ikatau, who cemented the position last season, has been outplayed by both Perese and Paisami when he met them, so that becomes interesting. In the back three, assuming Kellaway is on one wing, we have Wright, Petaia and Daugunu all competing for the other one, unless Petaia is preferred over Banks for 15.
Interesting times.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think a few Wallaby positions are still really open at this early stage. <snip>

I'm less worried about props - there are 4 in a game team and they mostly are known right now. Hooker remains a weakness.

There are plenty of assumptions around the Brumby locks and I'm not so sure. No I'm not sure about the Red locks either - I see a lack of overall skill cover across the options. All have real strengths but I think not all the skills needed in any individual lock. Let alone 3 of them.

The loose forwards also pretty much set themselves. And they are pretty much interchangeable, great depth and however the selectors determine they will travel it should be a strength. Hooper to 7 obviously. I'd have Valetini at 6 and Wilson at 8, but I'm not fussed. You'd want a lock/loosie at 20. Uru or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) for me.

Right now on form Tate starts at 9, and actually I'm not sure that White makes the 23. He has plenty of time to turn it around though and very likely to do just that. I would be surprised if Quade is not in the squad, but I'm not convinced that he walks into the starting side. The coaches will want verification as to where he is at for international level coming out of Japan second division. Which is all good. I'd think JOC (James O'Connor) is the form 10 for now.

Kerevi is another like Quade, in the squad and then let's see. I'd like to see Paisami at 13, but I rate Ikitau as well. Paisami does not make 12 if Kerevi is in form.

Kellaway to 14, Petaia to 15. But need a good back up 23 - Hodge needs to get back to form. 11 is up in the air, but we want someone with tight blindside skills prepared to get on the hip of whoever is 10.

I think there is a lot of work to be done to be honest, but the bones are there.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d have Porecki as my front runner at 2, but I thought Fainga'a turned in some of his best test performances last year, so would have him as my number 16 and wouldn’t be concerned if they were the other way around. Kaitu’u would be my third choice. Lonergan, McInerney & Uelese all have work to do IMO.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rodda and Phillip to start first off, backed up by Swain who did some really good work in tests last year with Frost as injury cover. McDermott is progressing well, but White will start because he has far more international experience at this stage. I would select Petaia as fullback if Koriobete, Cooper and Samu are in the backline, the experience of those players will allow him to concentrate on his own game. Kaitu’u to start as hooker, he has a better all round game and I like his discipline.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Probably time to do an early specie on what the wallaby 23 looks like for first test agaInst England so heck I will give it a go.
1. Bell
2 Folau
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. Rodda
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White (should be Tate but reckon they will start with white)
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. kerevi
13. Ikatau (Paisami and Perese could threaten here)
14. Kellaway
15. Banks (petaia if continues to improve could be the bolter.
16. Slipper
17. porecki
18. AAA
19. swain
20. Tate (should be starting but reckon will go with white)
21. Petaia if no banks at 15 - otherwise wright or Perese
22. Swinton (or Samu if former still injured)
23. Quade (Paisami deserves to be in but as only overs centres probably misses out unless can make starting 13 position which is possible)

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Colin Windon (37)
Good squad.
I wouldn’t have Swinton based on his performances this year. England would handle him.
I’d be giving Hooper 55-60 mins then bringing McReight off the bench. He’d be dynamic with Wilson in the last quarter of a match and the big English could not handle.
I’m also confident Kaitu’u plays better in this company so have him ahead of Porecki.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The issue with Swinton is he’s barely played and there doesn’t seem a clear return date.

Leota will run into a similiar issue if he isn’t back soonish - although he has the benefit of incumbency.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good squad.
I wouldn’t have Swinton based on his performances this year. England would handle him.
I’d be giving Hooper 55-60 mins then bringing McReight off the bench. He’d be dynamic with Wilson in the last quarter of a match and the big English could not handle.
I’m also confident Kaitu’u plays better in this company so have him ahead of Porecki.
The benefit of Hooper is that he will deliver a world class effort for 80 minutes, there is no reason to budget for his replacement

We plan to replace the front row, a lock and a backrower. In the backrow (assuming , with

6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson

you would budget either Wilson or Valetini to be replaced way before Hooper

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1. Bell
2 Porecki/Folau - can't split them, both are solid, neither is dynamic but they deliver the core requirements
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. Rodda
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White - best kicker from hand, with no effective tactical kicking option beyond 10 - we need the option, Gordon if White was wounded as he is the second best
10. Quade - He was a revelation last season and changed our fortunes, he would be my first back selected
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikatau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks / Petaia - they both need to work on their kick return, neither consistently breaks that first tackle and gets over the advantage line
16. Slipper
17. Porecki//Folau
18. AAA
19. Swain
20. Uru - I rate this guy a 5/6 (I like a hybrid off the bench) but I think I am just wishful thinking - to me Swinton starts or doesn't play and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanigan there
21. Tate - he and JOC (James O'Connor) are a good combination, his speed makes up for JOC (James O'Connor)'s slowness/deliberateness
22. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Perese - a game changer who breaks tackles

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I really like that team fatprop. It’s basically what I’d have too, except in the 20. jersey I’d have McReight maybe? Leota if we wanted a bigger body? Bit of a tricky one - that’s where Samu and his flexibility is helpful I guess.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
1. Bell
2 Porecki/Folau - can't split them, both are solid, neither is dynamic but they deliver the core requirements
3. Tupou
4. Phillips
5. Rodda
6. Valetini
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. White - best kicker from hand, with no effective tactical kicking option beyond 10 - we need the option, Gordon if White was wounded as he is the second best
10. Quade - He was a revelation last season and changed our fortunes, he would be my first back selected
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikatau
14. Kellaway
15. Banks / Petaia - they both need to work on their kick return, neither consistently breaks that first tackle and gets over the advantage line
16. Slipper
17. Porecki//Folau
18. AAA
19. Swain
20. Uru - I rate this guy a 5/6 (I like a hybrid off the bench) but I think I am just wishful thinking - to me Swinton starts or doesn't play and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanigan there
21. Tate - he and JOC (James O'Connor) are a good combination, his speed makes up for JOC (James O'Connor)'s slowness/deliberateness
22. JOC (James O'Connor)
23. Perese - a game changer who breaks tackles
Great team..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I really like that team fatprop. It’s basically what I’d have too, except in the 20. jersey I’d have McReight maybe? Leota if we wanted a bigger body? Bit of a tricky one - that’s where Samu and his flexibility is helpful I guess.

Samu was so flexible against the Reds that he disappeared from sight.

Koro, Kellaway, and either Banks (I hope not) or Petaia (very early days for him) will be really vulnerable against the high ball.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, it depends on how we want to finish

Samu gives you back row flexiblity and mobility,

McReight is behind Hooper, I wouldn't plan to replace Hooper and we need lineout options. If Hooper is not playing, McReight is the obvious choice to start

Leota? maybe, my challenge with him is that he always looks like a lock who can play in the backrow ie good in the trenches but lacks mobility and workrate away from the trenches

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Valetini wears 6 at the Brumbies, but plays in a role that Rennie wants in a no 8 so I'd expect him to continue to wear the 8 jersey in gold with Wilson or potentially Uru playing at 6... both of those players better suited playing in the wider channels.