• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A major Wallaby and Wallaroo fixture announcement on the Gold Coast today.

I hate Gold Coast games. I can only assume that they are getting massive bucks for Gold Coast Council.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
A major Wallaby and Wallaroo fixture announcement on the Gold Coast today.

I hate Gold Coast games. I can only assume that they are getting massive bucks for Gold Coast Council.

I actually enjoyed heading down for the 7s circuit when the Aussie leg was played at the Goldie back in the mid 2010s.

Although, the stadium isn’t very convenient to get to when you consider majority of people heading down stay at the beach.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s the accessibility that gets me. Was there for that awesome Bok v Black test year as part of the double header with us and the Argies. The games were great and the venue itself terrific, but getting there and back was horrendous.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Mightn’t be about a game. Wallabies are on Gold Coast for a camp, so probably makes sense to announce whatever it is there

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
eToro England Series
Wallabies v England, Saturday 2 July, 5:55pm AWST/7:55pm AEST at Optus Stadium, Perth
Wallabies v England, Saturday 9 July, 7:55pm AEST at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Wallabies v England, Saturday 16 July, 7:55pm AEST at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney

Buildcorp Wallaroos fixtures
Buildcorp Wallaroos v Fijiana, Friday 6 May, TBC, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Buildcorp Wallaroos v Japan, Tuesday 10 May, TBC, Bond University, Gold Coast

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
eToro England Series
Wallabies v England, Saturday 2 July, 5:55pm AWST/7:55pm AEST at Optus Stadium, Perth
Wallabies v England, Saturday 16 July, 7:55pm AEST at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney

SCG is trash. Might have to fly up to Suncorp to catch one of these.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
My brother got his whole family in to the SCG for a Waratahs match for less than $50 (GA seating purchased the morning of the match). I sat with them and it felt not all that different from the horrible seating that turned me off attending rugby in person for over a decade.

I can spend $249 for the Wallabies match (Platinum seating) and sit in the EXACT same seat he was in.

How in the living ^%$# can they justify that pricing for such bad seats?

I'm still considering going, but if I do it'll most likely just be the Gold Brigade tickets. I can't justify $250 to sit that far away from the play (even if I choose one of the better closer sections).

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Between Platinum and SCG members, there isn’t much leftover
9E45517B-7B6A-4946-ADF8-BB3F1ED48393.jpeg

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
eToro England Series

The SCG test baffles me, would there be a single person who believes it is suitable for hosting a test match?

Who makes this decision and what criteria would they use to justify having a test match at a sub standard ground that no person I am aware of thinks is a good viewing ground?

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Assume it’s a commitment to the SCG Trust?
gotta keep SCG Trust happy until the new SFS comes online.

hopefully the new stadium gives the Tahs a crowd boost when its operational.

Loved finishing work in the city on a friday and doing a little pub crawl over to the stadium (early 2000s).

gets a great vibe. cant help but think a new stadium in the same spot might be a boost for crowds.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
The SCG test baffles me, would there be a single person who believes it is suitable for hosting a test match?

Who makes this decision and what criteria would they use to justify having a test match at a sub standard ground that no person I am aware of thinks is a good viewing ground?

I agree it is rubbish to watch games, but it is almost certainly the venue where they will get the biggest crowd. Closest to the Rugby heartlands meaning the members will be full and also closest to Bondi/Coogee which have an enormous population of English expats.

They sold out the France test there last year, so makes the most sense commercially. The Bankwest test a few years back had a horrendous turnout and I would argue that a full SCG is better than a half full Homebush in terms of atmosphere

Last edited:

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
gotta keep SCG Trust happy until the new SFS comes online.

hopefully the new stadium gives the Tahs a crowd boost when its operational.

Loved finishing work in the city on a friday and doing a little pub crawl over to the stadium (early 2000s).

gets a great vibe. cant help but think a new stadium in the same spot might be a boost for crowds.
Is it really that important?

Surely the SCG trust would still allow RA and the Tahs to play at the SFS if the test did not go ahead, they would see how much money they will make in the long term.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
SCG is trash. Might have to fly up to Suncorp to catch one of these.
SCG or and oval shaped pitch is a waste of time going to watch any type of football apart from AFL. I’ll be flying up to Brisbane. She who must be obeyed even agrees that the best option. All I have to do is convince her to stay home.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
SCG or and oval shaped pitch is a waste of time going to watch any type of football apart from AFL. I’ll be flying up to Brisbane. She who must be obeyed even agrees that the best option. All I have to do is convince her to stay home.
They had either Comm Bank stadium, Olympic Stadium or the SCG.
Olympic Stadium would probably be half full if that.
Comm Bank Stadium is ideal but probably wouldn’t get people going out there from the East or north?
SCG is the worst option for viewing but will probably get a good crowd?
As mad as that sounds.
I could be wrong.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Comm Bank Stadium is ideal but probably wouldn’t get people going out there from the East or north?
As mad as that sounds.
I could be wrong.
I reckon an England game would sell out anywhere. Half of Britain lives in Sydney.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As mad as that sounds.
I could be wrong.

And yet that Lions test at the Gabba in 2001 remains one of my favourite test match experiences. And we lost.