• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

dru

David Wilson (68)
With Banks, Petaia, and Campbell all having exceptional performances at 15 throughout the season so far, I'm not sure how you can call it a weak spot?

Let's wait until they play the Keewees before we start talking about "exceptional" please.

If you have a look at Fromage' post, which is about performance in the Aus season so far, your response makes nil sense.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
One thing for sure, we simply have to nail our kicks. Who is the best kicker in our elite ranks? I don't think there is much between Quade and JOC (James O'Connor)???

Who'd be a selector?

Sheeesh QC (Quade Cooper) is the streakiest kicker I've ever watched. I'd say JOC (James O'Connor) is a more consistent kicker.

QC (Quade Cooper) had that fantastic game against the Boks to win it, but was horrendous the week after.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Banks, Petaia, and Campbell all having exceptional performances at 15 throughout the season so far, I'm not sure how you can call it a weak spot?

Because up to this point, the only one of them that has played much 15 at test level (Banks) has been mediocre at best.

It's a problem position for the Wallabies because it is one of the most impactful positions on the field and we haven't had a good option for a while (same as hooker).

Petaia has really impressed me this season. I think he's a very good chance to be our 15 in July as I think he's got significantly more upside than the other options.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you have a look at Fromage' post, which is about performance in the Aus season so far, your response makes nil sense.

Au contraire, mon ami. "Exceptional" performance is not something that can be turned on and off, surely? It is as good as it gets. I am happy to wait and see just how good they are. The only way to know is to put them up against the best.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Au contraire, mon ami. "Exceptional" performance is not something that can be turned on and off, surely? It is as good as it gets. I am happy to wait and see just how good they are. The only way to know is to put them up against the best.
The quote was "having exceptional performances...throughout the season so far", actually - as in, in the context of a number of individual games, they were standouts.

I'm glad we're not picking teams based on semantics

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree on both counts BH. Hooker and fullback are problems for us and there is an opportunity for someone in each position to make it their own. I think Jordy is starting to look pretty good at 15 and if he goes alright in the next few games I'd be giving him a run there against England. The key thing will be to see how he goes under the high ball, because the Poms will be raining bombs down on him.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Sheeesh QC (Quade Cooper) is the streakiest kicker I've ever watched. I'd say JOC (James O'Connor) is a more consistent kicker.

QC (Quade Cooper) had that fantastic game against the Boks to win it, but was horrendous the week after.
QC (Quade Cooper) did what we needed during the tests last year and was instrumental in pushing the Wallabies up the ladder. JOC (James O'Connor) wasn’t in form and out with injury. JOC (James O'Connor) has only come good in the last few games, and we are yet to meet with the NZ teams.

Some of the NZ teams are playing some scrappy rugby and will be interesting where we sit in comparison. I feel there will be some better results for AU teams this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The quote was "having exceptional performances...throughout the season so far", actually - as in, in the context of a number of individual games, they were standouts.

I'm glad we're not picking teams based on semantics

Words matter. "Exceptional" means "to a very unusual degree". Being a standout could mean the best of a mediocre bunch.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thought the Reds shut down the maul pretty effectively as well.

None of them consistently break tackles on kick return or are a guarantee front foot ball.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Words matter. "Exceptional" means "to a very unusual degree". Being a standout could mean the best of a mediocre bunch.
Holy hell mate, let's not get bogged down on this hey.

I'm well aware words matter, and stand by them. I judged their performances as being atypically high quality (read: exceptional) compared to both the rest of the players on the night, and the standard we've seen from Aus fullbacks in recent years. If you disagree, that's cool, and let's discuss that on the players' merits - just could do without the english lesson.

Petaia, Banks, and Campbell have all had some very good performances throughout the season so far. Happy with that?

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
None of them consistently break tackles on kick return or are a guarantee front foot ball.
I'm not sure we can really be expecting tackle breaks on every kick return though. Regardless, the role of the fullback is more dimensional than that, and I think we're all pretty happy with what we've seen from those three this season, aren't we? And who are the alternatives? God forbid we parachute Kurtley in

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Without any stats to back it up, I'd be putting money on Jordan currently being in the top 5 tackle busts of Super Rugby Pacific this year.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Without any stats to back it up, I'd be putting money on Jordan currently being in the top 5 tackle busts of Super Rugby Pacific this year.
Not tackle busts specifically, but the best I can find
1649285083902.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He probably does, but from my viewing those tackle busts aren't usually from kick return (so far), and specifically making the advantage line, with enough "energy" to create front foot ball for that next phase. (too many miracle passes that put the receiver in a worse position)

He is a good player, but I was replying to the comment that we have no worries in the position, I think that is a false assumption

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He probably does, but from my viewing those tackle busts aren't usually from kick return (so far), and specifically making the advantage line, with enough "energy" to create front foot ball for that next phase. (too many miracle passes that put the receiver in a worse position)

Didn’t watch the Brumby game last weekend?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Flick Hodge out for now.

White and Quade on the bench - that is some serious brain power coming on. They would be perfect at analysing play and communicating to the coaches to go on a make a positive change.
Petaia is the new super utility - sorry Hodge
With Experienced props, Slipper and Ala'alatoa, with their brumbies mates in Swain and Samu - That is a bench that can really change the tide, provide leadership, direction etc.