• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Last year he, and the whole Waratahs backline, looked poor in defence.

This year he, and the whole Waratahs backline, have looked miles better.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
My question is how is he under the highball, England used attacking kicks extensively through the 6 Nations trying to force errors under the high ball in the opposition half.

That’s the biggest issue with not having played wing for 4 years, positioning and aerial skills. I’ve got no doubt he could tackle and run hard there.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Sure - and it’s a fair question Adam, which I admit I can’t provide an evidence backed answer to.

I can, however, point out it is not a strength of Koroibete’s - but I don’t think there are many who don’t consider him first pick (and my selection of Perese on the wing would be primarily in the same role if Koroibete wasn’t available)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Vunivalu has played how many games of Union as a winger? If he’s fit and doing his thing we’re not refusing to pick him because of made up intricacies of defending on the wing. Ditto for Perese. It’s just not that hard.

dru

David Wilson (68)
My question is how is he under the highball, England used attacking kicks extensively through the 6 Nations trying to force errors under the high ball in the opposition half.

That’s the biggest issue with not having played wing for 4 years, positioning and aerial skills. I’ve got no doubt he could tackle and run hard there.

Sure - and it’s a fair question Adam, which I admit I can’t provide an evidence backed answer to.

I can, however, point out it is not a strength of Koroibete’s - but I don’t think there are many who don’t consider him first pick (and my selection of Perese on the wing would be primarily in the same role if Koroibete wasn’t available)

My feel is that the high ball and kick return are skill sets more shared between 14 and 15. Yes it doesn't always work that way, but you really need high ball skills at 14/15, if you must compromise a winger you do it at 11.

I do think that Perese can play 11, but I don't see any advantage with him at 14 over the several alternatives that are available. At 11, I don't see Perese ousting both Koroibete and Daugunu. I guess I am seeing hi as a possible in the centres and 11. Which makes him a possible 22 if we don't need a dedicated back up 10.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Petaia has been electric on kick returns. He‘s odds on to beat at least the first defender every time. He will get better, as he did last week. He just needs to figure it all out. He has the physical attributes of Folau but nowhere near that level of experience just yet.
Watch this space.
I tend to agree he maybe our best 15 option, just not the finished product

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I tend to agree he maybe our best 15 option, just not the finished product
Agree. He needs to get more relaxed in the role and realise that he does snot have to make a highlight play every time he touches the ball. He looked as though he had taken steps towards that on the weekend. His ceiling is high If he can remain fit.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
People are underestimating QC (Quade Cooper) again. James O’Connor has looked better this year and he may well be considered for the first test but the games against kiwi teams will show us more about his performance under pressure. Quade just has more time and takes the right option every time. They both defend well and can kick, with QC (Quade Cooper) probably having a better boot. Good to have them both.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
People are underestimating QC (Quade Cooper) again. James O’Connor has looked better this year and he may well be considered for the first test but the games against kiwi teams will show us more about his performance under pressure. Quade just has more time and takes the right option every time. They both defend well and can kick, with QC (Quade Cooper) probably having a better boot. Good to have them both.

I think it is fair for the average poster on here to 'underestimate' Quade.

Most of us simply have no optics on him, hard to gauge form when you don't see someone play each week.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think it is fair for the average poster on here to 'underestimate' Quade.

Most of us simply have no optics on him, hard to gauge form when you don't see someone play each week.
I guess thats true but there is also a fair contingent looking for him to fail at some point. I just dont see it now as he is so in tune with himself and his game.

On the back 3.
11. Koroibete
14. Kellaway
15. Petaia

has a nice balance to it

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the two major points in the battle between the two are having Kerevi outside the 10. Cooper had the benefit of that whereas JOC (James O'Connor) didn't.

Cooper is 34 and more than two years older than JOC (James O'Connor). If there's any doubt he's not still going to be the guy at the RWC next year then I don't see how Rennie will make him first choice now. We don't have a lot of tests to get it together.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He can definitely break a tackle , how many does he make cleanly should be the question with regards to test match footy .

His defensive stats this year are 36/42 according to super.rugby.

I would question whether Kellaway is going to be a locked in starter. He had an excellent debut test season last year but he's certainly not playing as well so far this year in a very underwhelming team. How much of that is just the Rebels and he'll bring back that excellent form when the tests start is unknown. Probably his best attribute is the second fullback aspect of wing play which separates him from several of the other wing contenders.

dru

David Wilson (68)

I would question whether Kellaway is going to be a locked in starter. He had an excellent debut test season last year but he's certainly not playing as well so far this year in a very underwhelming team. How much of that is just the Rebels and he'll bring back that excellent form when the tests start is unknown. Probably his best attribute is the second fullback aspect of wing play which separates him from several of the other wing contenders.

Kellaway is not locked in. But I do think he edges into the role right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He is the best 14/second fullback we have, he does all the basics consistently well and finds the line.

Vunivalu is only unit that "could" add more ex factor, but so far he is made of glass

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Vunivalu is a long shot at this point. There's too many good players vying for the Wallabies wing spots. He'd have to get back into the Reds side quickly and do something quite miraculous to get selected providing the other options stay fit.

If Banks or Campbell gets a shot at fullback you'd also have Petaia as a strong option to play wing.

Tom Wright has been pretty decent this season and he might struggle to get much of a look in.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I reckon Vunivalu is a long shot at this point. There's too many good players vying for the Wallabies wing spots. He'd have to get back into the Reds side quickly and do something quite miraculous to get selected providing the other options stay fit.
He's set to be back in time for the cross over games, if not a week earlier so he still has plenty of time to make a case. If he stays fit and plays like he did last year I don't think he'll have any trouble - he scored 5 tries from 8 games (6 starts) and really performed against the kiwi sides - 4 tries in 4 games including a double against the highlanders where he was unplayable in the air. Given how well the Reds have used the attacking kick already there's plenty of reason to get him in there and plenty of opportunity for him to shine. It's largely just a question of fitness for him at this point.

Rightly or wrongly form in the second half of the season against the kiwis is going to count for a lot more than the first half, so there's heaps of time for players to push for squad spots and wallabies jerseys across the park.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He's set to be back in time for the cross over games, if not a week earlier so he still has plenty of time to make a case. If he stays fit and plays like he did last year I don't think he'll have any trouble - he scored 5 tries from 8 games (6 starts) and really performed against the kiwi sides - 4 tries in 4 games including a double against the highlanders where he was unplayable in the air. Given how well the Reds have used the attacking kick already there's plenty of reason to get him in there and plenty of opportunity for him to shine. It's largely just a question of fitness for him at this point.

Rightly or wrongly form in the second half of the season against the kiwis is going to count for a lot more than the first half, so there's heaps of time for players to push for squad spots and wallabies jerseys across the park.
Games at the backend of the Super Rugby have always sort out who can deliver, especially with the Kiwis added

Units have to be able to deliver consistently even while carrying niggles in tougher games and every error is punished harder

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Rightly for sure.

Form closer to the tests massively outweighs early season form. Then there's the fact that it's against generally tougher opposition.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Leveraging the aerial threat posed by both Petaia and Vunivalu simultaneously is a tantalising prospect