• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kimlin fits the mold of a 5-6 utility better than either of them and I am surprised he missed out considering his recent form.
Palu has been playing OK but is injury prone and not noted as a big match player.
I would have liked to have seen another Brumbies backrower there to cover him.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Kimlin fits the mold of a 5-6 utility better than either of them and I am surprised he missed out considering his recent form.
Palu has been playing OK but is injury prone and not noted as a big match player.
I would have liked to have seen another Brumbies backrower there to cover him.
Yes but I think Luke Jones is better again and has many years ahead of him.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Inman is very lucky to get picked IMO, it really shows the lack of depth we have in the centres. For a bloke his size, he goes missing way too often to be seriously considered as Test material.

T

TOCC

The squad breakdown (shamelessly stolen from another site):

Full Backs:
Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs),

Wings:
Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs), Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs), Nick Cummins (Western Force), Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels),

Centres:
Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs), Mitch Inman (Melbourne Rebels), Pat McCabe (Brumbies),

Fly Halfs:
Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs),

Half Backs:
Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies),

Back row:
Ben Mowen (Brumbies), David Pocock (Western Force), Michael Hooper (Brumbies), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs),

Locks:
Cadeyrn Neville (Melbourne Rebels), Hugh Pyle (Melbourne Rebels), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs),

Props:
Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Paddy Ryan (NSW Waratahs),

Hookers:
Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs).

Few reds players I expect will come into the squad:

Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Digby Ioane, Scott Higginbotham, Saia Fainga'a/James Hanson, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, A Fainga'a, Ben Tapuai/Luke Morahan.

Players that might get dropped from the squad and their replacements:

Cooper Vuna for Dom Shipperly
Mitch Inman for Ben Tapuai
Paddy Ryan for James Slipper
Sitaleki Timani for AWH

Which would leave 34 spots (if I did my maths correctly), meaning one more player will come into the squad and I expect that player to be either JOC (James O'Connor) (If they drop no one else) or Gill/Harris (if they are going to drop one of the other backline players like Cummins/Horne/Turner).

Ben Lucas and Michael Harris will also come into consideration for fly-half and centre.

I expect Tomane to be called in if his ankle heals, Mitchell and Turner may feature later in the tournament if they display form at Shute Shield level first.
Either Dennis or Mowen will be cut..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ben Lucas and Michael Harris will also come into consideration for fly-half and centre.

I expect Tomane to be called in if his ankle heals, Mitchell and Turner may feature later in the tournament if they display form at Shute Shield level first.
Either Dennis or Mowen will be cut..

I'd be very surprised if Dennis was cut, considering his good form off the bench against Wales.

T

TOCC

I'd be very surprised if Dennis was cut, considering his good form off the bench against Wales.

It may be Mowen then, its hard to argue against the fact his form at Super Rugby has earned him a spot though..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mitchell and Turner should both be playing Schute Shield as much as possible, irrespective if they make this training camp or not. I wouldn't think they would be ready for the rugby championship yet. I would send both on the EOYT only.

Therefore, going on past history, I expect both to make the Rugby Championship squad, both training and final, and not to play any Schute Shield games.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mitchell and Turner should both be playing Schute Shield as much as possible, irrespective if they make this training camp or not. I wouldn't think they would be ready for the rugby championship yet. I would send both on the EOYT only.

Therefore, going on past history, I expect both to make the Rugby Championship squad, both training and final, and not to play any Schute Shield games.

I thought Deans would have all the healthy playing club this weekend, the camp isn't to the following week

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Deans is clearly sees Timani and wants to use him in the same way he used Vickerman. They are very effective in the breakdown in getting good ball for Genia. They shift bodies better than anyone else. Timani gets very low and powers through over the ball, moving anyone off the ball, have a look at some of his clean outs on Saturday and the 3rd Test, they were excellent.

J

Jiggles

Deans is clearly sees Timani and wants to use him in the same way he used Vickerman. They are very effective in the breakdown in getting good ball for Genia. They shift bodies better than anyone else. Timani gets very low and powers through over the ball, moving anyone off the ball, have a look at some of his clean outs on Saturday and the 3rd Test, they were excellent.

Timani does that? Not in the games I watch....

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I thought Deans was all for players playing club rugby - something I recall him preaching when he first arrived.
Has this changed?

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
I saw Timani early this morning going into Tahs gym so I'm sure he is under instruction to work on those fitness levels.

Cripes he is big..

T

TOCC

I saw Timani early this morning going into Tahs gym so I'm sure he is under instruction to work on those fitness levels.

Cripes he is big..
I would be disappointed if a professional sportsmen wasn't going to the gym or working out nearly every day of the week

P

Paradox

The Waratahs forward pack has been stronger than their opposition in almost every Super Rugby game yet the team keeps losing.

That's actually not true. Their clearouts, work at the breakdown, defense, ability to force turnovers, propensity to turn over the ball, and fitness have all been rated amongst the worst in the comp. Paul Cully put out an excellent article about it recently. I'm not having a go, but the Waratah forward pack has had problems outside set piece.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's actually not true. Their clearouts, work at the breakdown, defense, ability to force turnovers, propensity to turn over the ball, and fitness have all been rated amongst the worst in the comp. Paul Cully put out an excellent article about it recently. I'm not having a go, but the Waratah forward pack has had problems outside set piece.
Very true. They compete well for half a game here, two-thirds there then fade. A few individuals have been better than that, but as a unit, not good enough. Excellent article from Cully.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Timani is laaaazzzyyyy. He just uses his large frame to grapple smaller players to the ground with no real intent to dominate. If that means falling back and relinquishing the gain line, then that's what he does.

We have wasted enough time playing with the kids, it's time for Neville and Timani to go home and let's work out who is the test class lock out of Pyle and Douglas.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

You clearly need to watch the game more closely as your claims about Timani are laughable. Either that or you're a Troll?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

What on earth turner has done to justify being in any squad is beyond me. I reckon he is only just in the tahs team let alone the wallabies. At least Mitchell has shown glimpses and we know his potential is much higher. Turner's selection is a joke.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You clearly need to watch the game more closely as your claims about Timani are laughable. Either that or you're a Troll?

Have just watched a few more mins of the game on YouTube and yes he was by far our most effective player at the breakdown. No one moves bodies as effectively as he does, much like Vickerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.