• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The reality is though that players like Cliffy Palu, Sekope Kepu and Tatafu Polota-Nau have played well for the Waratahs this season.

The Waratahs forward pack has been stronger than their opposition in almost every Super Rugby game yet the team keeps losing.

By the same logic you could say that Pocock and Cummins shouldn't be selected because the Force keep losing, their forwards get dominated and their backs don't score many tries.

Difference is forces terrible season was recognised hence only two force players chosen..........your logic is as flawed as Timani

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Urgh, we're not having the Timani debate again are we?

As the extensive video analysis by both myself and Scott Allen showed after the Wales test, the bloke IS up to international rugby but needs to play a bit tighter and show a bit more urgency to get to the breakdown. His work rate is FINE, and in the game against Wales he clocked up plenty of tackles and runs. The issue came with his positioning in both attack and defense, and hopefully these can be solved.

Is he the right man for the Wallaby starting XV? Well that is a matter for debate. But he deserves to feature in the Wallaby squad for the 4N.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

As the extensive video analysis by both myself and Scott Allen showed after the Wales test, the bloke IS up to international rugby but needs to play a bit tighter and show a bit more urgency to get to the breakdown. His work rate is FINE, and in the game against Wales he clocked up plenty of tackles and runs. The issue came with his positioning in both attack and defense, and hopefully these can be solved.

Is he the right man for the Wallaby starting XV? Well that is a matter for debate. But he deserves to feature in the Wallaby squad for the 4N.

I must have read the wrong article and watched the wrong video

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The reality is though that players like Cliffy Palu, Sekope Kepu and Tatafu Polota-Nau have played well for the Waratahs this season.

The Waratahs forward pack has been stronger than their opposition in almost every Super Rugby game yet the team keeps losing.

By the same logic you could say that Pocock and Cummins shouldn't be selected because the Force keep losing, their forwards get dominated and their backs don't score many tries.

Mumm started more games than Timani so you could argue for his inclusion as he played a bigger role in a generally dominant Tah pack?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Barbarian you must have watched different analysis to me and you must have been watching different Waratahs games to me in 2012.

Timani is NOT up to international rugby but I have no doubt he'll be selected again in the Wallabies final 30 for the 4N.

That's a big part of the Wallabies problem - Robbie selects on a hope that players will come good once in a Wallaby jersey.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The squad breakdown (shamelessly stolen from another site):

Full Backs:
Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs),

Wings:
Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs), Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs), Nick Cummins (Western Force), Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels),

Centres:
Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs), Mitch Inman (Melbourne Rebels), Pat McCabe (Brumbies),

Fly Halfs:
Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs),

Half Backs:
Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies),

Back row:
Ben Mowen (Brumbies), David Pocock (Western Force), Michael Hooper (Brumbies), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs),

Locks:
Cadeyrn Neville (Melbourne Rebels), Hugh Pyle (Melbourne Rebels), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs),

Props:
Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Paddy Ryan (NSW Waratahs),

Hookers:
Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs).

Few reds players I expect will come into the squad:

Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Digby Ioane, Scott Higginbotham, Saia Fainga'a/James Hanson, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, A Fainga'a, Ben Tapuai/Luke Morahan.

Players that might get dropped from the squad and their replacements:

Cooper Vuna for Dom Shipperly
Mitch Inman for Ben Tapuai
Paddy Ryan for James Slipper
Sitaleki Timani for AWH

Which would leave 34 spots (if I did my maths correctly), meaning one more player will come into the squad and I expect that player to be either JOC (James O'Connor) (If they drop no one else) or Gill/Harris (if they are going to drop one of the other backline players like Cummins/Horne/Turner).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barbarian you must have watched different analysis to me and you must have been watching different Waratahs games to me in 2012.

Timani is NOT up to international rugby but I have no doubt he'll be selected again in the Wallabies final 30 for the 4N.

That's a big part of the Wallabies problem - Robbie selects on a hope that players will come good once in a Wallaby jersey.

Haha OK we'll have to agree to disagree then. The game against Wales clearly had positives as well as negatives.

We do have issues with the lock to play alongside Sharpe, and there is no obvious candidate.

I would like Hugh Pyle to have a run, as we have tried Simmons and Timani and neither have shone. But to do it in the opening game of the 4N? I don't know.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Which is even more reason why the waratahs backs should not be selected.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Which is even more reason why the waratahs backs should not be selected.

... and Berrick Barnes was selected to play 10 against Wales with Lealiifano, O'Connor, Beale injured and Cooper only just returning from injury and considered underdone. Barnes then played really well in those games.

I'm not really going to comment on Horne's selection except to say that 13 is probably the hardest position to pick for the Wallabies because there is no obvious candidate. Tapuai was also injured for the Wales series.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wouldn't get too excited with who is in the training squad.But I am very happy to see Cummins there, he and Iaone & Tomane have been the form Aus wingers this season as far as I care, and are big, fast and can tackle

Ryan is interesting, he has been very solid this year and gives them the 4th prop for scrummaging work

Timani? meh, dunno, he is as average as the rest of them. All our locks except Sharpe and Horwill are S15 standard as far as I care, none of the other locks do enough at top S15 standard, let alone test standard

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)

Er those weren't my conclusions, work rate was a big issue for me before those vids and if anything Scott's analysis reinforced it as a real issue.

Ath.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He returned to the bench against the Hurricanes but didn't see any gametime and was on the bench against the Tahs', dont think he got on though there either. He's a long shot at a gold jersey right now but no harm in picking him in the squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can we consider Mowen at lock? He is frequently used in the line-out and has a great work-rate.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah that reminds me of an idea I pitched on one of the Timani articles- what about Dave Dennis or Ben Mowen at lock?

Both have the size (maybe a few inches shorter but not too much) and are much more effective around the field than any of our current locks (bar Sharpe).

Status
Not open for further replies.