• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Great to see Inman in there. Surprised to see no tomane. Must be due to recovery from injury?
On a side note. Some of Phipps' off the ball antics are fast making him somewhat unlikeable.

D

daz

Some of Phipps' off the ball antics are fast making him somewhat unlikeable.

At the risk of bringing down the ire of Rebels fans everywhere, I really just don't rate Phipps. Sure, he has the occasional good game but Phipps' big problem is he has limited vision and he rushes his plays. The end result is box kicks going 2 metres out on the full, knock on's when trying to play at the breakdown, and uncatchable passes thrown.

Overall I don't see what Robbie and others see. That is probably why I post on these forums and don't coach the National squad.

Not the best comparison due to lack of game time, but look at Stirzaker on the weekend; game on the line, and he was composed and delivered very good attacking ball.

This kid is very much a player to watch.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
At the risk of bringing down the ire of Rebels fans everywhere, I really just don't rate Phipps. Sure, he has the occasional good game but Phipps' big problem is he has limited vision and he rushes his plays. The end result is box kicks going 2 metres out on the full, knock on's when trying to play at the breakdown, and uncatchable passes thrown.

Overall I don't see what Robbie and others see. That is probably why I post on these forums and don't coach the National squad.

Not the best comparison due to lack of game time, but look at Stirzaker on the weekend; game on the line, and he was composed and delivered very good attacking ball.

This kid is very much a player to watch.
Phipps is down on form compared to last year, inconsistent at times (as you pointed out).

I guess with Genia still playing, they've got two half-backs for opposed sessions. It'll be White or him when the cut is made.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Paddy Ryan? No Palmer? Palmer came off early against the blues, is he injured?

He's injured, not sure how badly.

Don't mind Paddy Ryan getting called up, he's certainly promising and I don't mind us cycling through props until one fits instead of the old Aussie approach of "keep playing the dud prop and hope he gets good". Obviously guys have to be given a chance to improve but you need to dram a line.

Really disappointed than Tamani has gotten a call-up. He hasn't perform at test or Super Rugby level this year and he's had the chances. Honestly there are that many young locks in Australia, why Tamani? Sure, his 2012 form was good but that's over a year ago now.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pretty broad squad, not too many talking points.

The only player who could consider himself a bit hard done by would be Scott Fardy.

I think Paddy Ryan is deserving based on his performance against both Palmer and Holmes in recent weeks, where I thought he came out on top in both encounters.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really disappointed than Tamani has gotten a call-up. He hasn't perform at test or Super Rugby level this year and he's had the chances. Honestly there are that many young locks in Australia, why Tamani? Sure, his 2012 form was good but that's over a year ago now.

Timani was perfectly decent in the 3rd Wales test.

When you consider that Pyle, Douglas, Neville and Timani are all in the squad, I don't think his selection is unjustified. He offers size and the ability to offload which none of the other locks do. I suggest this is why the selectors are interested in him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
AS it is a big squad, Ryan ought to be there, if for no reason to provide some steel in scrum drilling. He has scrummed the house down the past couple of weeks. Sure it's only a couple of weeks, but his presence might even make Alexander twitchy, which might be a good thing! ;)
I would doubt he is at the top of the list to be starting a Test just yet. But a promising young THP ought to be scrumming there.
Palmer would be if not for injury.
Stoked to see the Honey Badger too.
Troubling that Ma'afu was only not considered because he was injured, though! :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phipps is down on form compared to last year, inconsistent at times (as you pointed out).

I guess with Genia still playing, they've got two half-backs for opposed sessions. It'll be White or him when the cut is made.

Considering White's form has been far better, and was on the bench for the entire Welsh series we would have to assume (hopefully) that Phipps will be cut.......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty broad squad, not too many talking points.

The only player who could consider himself a bit hard done by would be Scott Fardy.

I think Paddy Ryan is deserving based on his performance against both Palmer and Holmes in recent weeks, where I thought he came out on top in both encounters.

Agreed on both counts.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

When you consider that Pyle, Douglas, Neville and Timani are all in the squad, I don't think his selection is unjustified. He offers size and the ability to offload which none of the other locks do. I suggest this is why the selectors are interested in him.

It isnt under 13 high school football it should be picked on ability not that fact your mother mated with a giant.

Ryand & douglas are very surprising i feel for people like Fardy and Smith from brumbies who have actually been playing well in a a succesful team but where given the cold shoulder for some players who performed at their peak all season ina winning team (i.e any waratahs player)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I disagree but it's not like he is an awful player.

His carries and tackles are decent, but there is nowhere near enough of them. Combine that with poor ruck efficiency and you've got a player who could use a complete off-season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Timani makes big tackles, has a workrate similar to Simmons (from the first two Wales tests) in the 3rd Wales test and has the ability to offload which the other locks don't.

I don't get how you're arguing that he shouldn't be picked based on ability. His handling is inferior but he has skills that the other locks don't have.

Picking Brumbies players based on their team performing well is just as counterintuitive as saying Waratahs players shouldn't be picked because the side didn't perform well. At the end of the day, Super Rugby results have zero impact on how the players can perform as part of the Wallabies team. The Wales series should be evidence enough for that. The Waratahs contingent on the whole performed well in those games.

Reactions: BPC

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dont see a problem with Timani being in the training squad. He needs all the training he can get. But If he's selected in the full squad later on, I would not be happy. I have a bad feeling he will be picked though. I agree Fardy was hard done by, but it is only his first super 15 season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Timani makes big tackles, has a workrate similar to Simmons (from the first two Wales tests) in the 3rd Wales test and has the ability to offload which the other locks don't.

I don't get how you're arguing that he shouldn't be picked based on ability. His handling is inferior but he has skills that the other locks don't have.

Picking Brumbies players based on their team performing well is just as counterintuitive as saying Waratahs players shouldn't be picked because the side didn't perform well. At the end of the day, Super Rugby results have zero impact on how the players can perform as part of the Wallabies team. The Wales series should be evidence enough for that. The Waratahs contingent on the whole performed well in those games.

What? I'm arguing he shouldn't be picked based on work rate. That his contributions are good but there are not enough of them.

If you can prove to me he consistently has Simmons' work rate I'd be very surprised but I'll bow to your view.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't prove that his workrate is consistently as good as Simmons'.

The combination of Scott Allen's analysis and Barbarian's is interesting. It would be interesting having as much scrutiny over other players' contributions.

As Timani is a good ball runner and can offload, there is every chance he is told to play wider. Scott Allen argued that he thinks it is the number 6's role to play wide in modern rugby. Perhaps Deans' view is that Timani should be that player when he is playing because he can get that offload away. In situations where wide ball runners are likely to be man on man an offload can easily lead to a linebreak or a try.

I'm trying to play devil's advocate as much as anything. I'd also prefer Pyle or Douglas to get a run over Timani but I can see why Timani is being persisted with. He has elements to his game that none of the other locks have.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

You know what you are absolutely right lets choose Huxley, Blake and johannson because i am sure that they would perform well for wallabies and the rebels and their form is irrelevant. I also feel that with a good backline Dallan Murphy woudl be an excelletn sellection at 10 for the wallabies as he should not be judged on the form of the reds when he was playing at 10.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Palmer is having surgery on his foot. Tomane aggravated his ankle injury.

Paddy Ryan and Cummins deserve there spots.

Re Timani: he may have the ability to offload yet i don't recall seeing any and if he can't use his size well what good is it? Don't watch the Tahs often so correct me if i'm wrong about the offloads. From what i have see the bloke is not up to test rugby. The ABs and Boks will be hoping for his inlcusion as there locks are several leagues above his current play.

Braveheart81, Higgers plays the wide role better than him and can get the offload away. Both in the same XV in the RC is a scary thought.

Timani, Foley, Phipps and Vuna are my only issues with the squad announced, and its a small issue because it is a 'training squad'. Don't want to see any in the final 30 though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is though that players like Cliffy Palu, Sekope Kepu and Tatafu Polota-Nau have played well for the Waratahs this season.

The Waratahs forward pack has been stronger than their opposition in almost every Super Rugby game yet the team keeps losing.

By the same logic you could say that Pocock and Cummins shouldn't be selected because the Force keep losing, their forwards get dominated and their backs don't score many tries.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is a shame that Sam Carter missed out. Wouldn't have made the final cut, but it would have been good to include him for some exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.