• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Yeah Slim, Mogg can be a bit directionless, but he has a lot of potential. And there are a lot of players who would get shown up by players like Piutau 1on1 and Stowers for that matter.

Mogg is one of the worst defenders in the comp, and this is coming from a Brumbies supporter. He shouldn't get near the squad until he's improved in his tackling. Which is not a big ask, considering this is his first season of Super Rugby.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Replace Timani with AWH, Pyle or Douglas.
Timani is shit I don't care that he made a big hit in Super rugby 10 weeks ago he's not a test lock.

Replace Vuna with Shipperley, Turner or Mitchell.

Replace Ma'afu with Greg Holmes or Dan palmer.

If Deans does all those changes from the last squad & starts Dave Dennis then I'll be happy.

He'll probably have to drop Mike Harris for Quade Cooper & another back will have to be dropped for JOC (James O'Connor).

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
If the reds don't win on the weekend against the Sharks, QC (Quade Cooper) may well still be suspended. Or are we back on weeks now? I can't remember if the judicial dice are loaded with weeks or games.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez all this Timani hate is a bit much. The bloke may not be the messiah, but he isn't as terrible as a lot on here seem to think.

I thought 3 of the 4 locks on Saturday night put in a very decent showing. Timani was one of those three. Simmons was not.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He had some pretty average games in the past, so the issues with his "deserving" a spot before had some credence. Ironically, he displayed more urgency and execution last night, particularly in carries and clean outs. Still a bit inconsistent though. He is getting better overall, which I guess has to be a good thing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Timani might not have been awful this year, but there have been a hell of a lot of better performing locks in Australia...

I wouldn't disagree, and would have him 4th or 5th on the pecking order at the moment, behind Sharpe, Douglas, Pyle and maybe Fardy.

But other than Sharpe there are not too many differences between the up and coming Aussie locks, each have their pros and cons.

T

TOCC

Jeez all this Timani hate is a bit much. The bloke may not be the messiah, but he isn't as terrible as a lot on here seem to think.

I thought 3 of the 4 locks on Saturday night put in a very decent showing. Timani was one of those three. Simmons was not.

I think some of the comments may be represented, Timani has a big future ahead of him thanks to his physical attributes, but his technical side of the game needs to vastly improve..
To me, there are other second rowers in Australia who are technically superior to Timani currently, not only in the set piece but in the general ball play and understanding of the game. Deans may be hoping to expedite his progress by bringing him into the Wallaby squad, however others have the opinion we would be better off bringing in a player who has is superior in that department already.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
if douglas gets picked over people like neville,pyle or fardy there is no justice he was average at best against the reds last night. The waratahs only deserve to have barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), TPN and kepu and robinson picked. They where one of the worst teams in the comp to chose players like timani and horne is ridiculous when they havent done shit in the season. Also after watching scotty allens wallbies backline video horn should shot for being greedy.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Palmer will be there as backup for Kepu.
AWH is in great form and should be there until Horwill returns. Unfortunately this will not happen unless Sharpie gets injured at some point in TRC.
Kimlin has also been in very good form and deserves consideration but our backrow stocks are excellent right now.
Mitchell is underdone and looks to be carrying a few extra pounds. With Tomane back I doubt that he will be considered.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
This would be my side to take part in the Rugby Championship;

Forwards:

Alexander, Dennis, Fainga'a, Higginbotham, Hooper, Kepu, Moore, Mowen, Palmer, Pocock, Polota-Nau, Pyle, Robinson (vc), Sharpe, Simmons, Slipper, Timani.

Backs:

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Beale, Cooper, Fainga'a, Genia (c), Harris, Horne, Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor), McCabe, Turner, White

- Horwill & McCalman would be in my side although both injured
- Drew Mitchell hasn't done enough for selection although I feel Turner after a couple of games in the Shute Shield will be a solid bench option with his experience. Will not be surprised if Deans selects one of the uncapped players in his previous 40man squad.
- Timani has done enough for me to earn selection over Neville, Douglas and AWH. His set-piece scrummaging has more than an edge over all candidates.
- 5 Props will be selected IMO and all deserve there spots. Especially Palmer who will be the backup THP for Kepu.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
next year
There is a chance Horwill might make the European tour at year end.
I suspect with a long Rugby Chamionship, there will be a fair bit of attrition, and that fringe players not selected in the squad should keep their studs sharpened.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Mitchell is an outside chance at squad selection.

Given that he has another month before we play the ABs and will get in a few club games, Deans may want him as part of the squad to see if he gets up to speed.

There are a lot of comments regarding whether or not players deserve to be selected (particularly targetted at Timani and Horne). I think this is a real oversimplification of the selection process and disregards the fact that Deans and the rest of the Australian coaches will have their own ideas of how they want their team and squad structured.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let Mitchell ride it out in the Shute Shield and then take him north at the end of the year.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That is probably the likely choice however I am sure there will be a temptation to select him and hope that in a month he is back to full form and fitness. He is a proven and experienced performer.

Whether JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are likely to be available could be a big influence on his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.