• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd tell Robbie Deans I am ready to play in the RWC too last year, dosen't mean I'm right or that he should listen to me.

My point TOCC, is exactly that. Caution should be used when it comes to Mitchell. He is far to valuable in the long run.

1. But you're missing the endless physio consultations, scans, fitness tests etc. that are consulted before the coach asks "Drew, are you right to play?"

2. I can't see how they could be more cautious bringing Drew back this time around. You can't wait forever.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Considering he was playing club rugby before he returned for the Waratahs he's been playing for over 3 months.

When do you think he should return?

Bear in mind that at this stage he is just in the squad. Over three months of rugby before returning to the test arena would be considered taking the utmost caution. If his health and fitness aren't right now, they never will be.

I tend to think that if Dom Shipperley was also in the squad, you wouldn't be criticising Mitchell's inclusion at all.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I'd tell Robbie Deans I am ready to play in the RWC too last year, dosen't mean I'm right or that he should listen to me.

My point TOCC, is exactly that. Caution should be used when it comes to Mitchell. He is far to valuable in the long run.

Yes. Save him for the 2015 RWC. He should be good by then and there's no chance he'll get injured.

Cmon....the guy is already playing. Why wouldn't you pick him?

J

Jiggles

Keep him in club rugby, Bring him off the bench agains the Boks in perth and again off the bench against the Argies. Start him for the last 2 games if he pulls up ok.

You're Dom Shipperley remark isn't worth commenting on.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Deans told Cooper to go home on medical advice after he had played a game and a half for the Reds. Some people allege smoke and mirrors but Cooper himself said he wasn't 100 percent.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Deans told Cooper to go home on medical advice after he had played a game and a half for the Reds. Some people allege smoke and mirrors but Cooper himself said he wasn't 100 percent.

For the record, Cooper made his comeback to Super Rugby the week before Mitchell.

How many club games did Cooper player before that? I'm guessing it was less than Mitchell played.

J

Jiggles

No. I'm not Dom Shipperley.

Mitchell is just in the squad. Maybe he will just be used against the Boks and Argies.

17070656.jpg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Keep him in club rugby, Bring him off the bench agains the Boks in perth and again off the bench against the Argies. Start him for the last 2 games if he pulls up ok.

You're Dom Shipperley remark isn't worth commenting on.

And if he gets injured in the Bok game or Argies game is that still RDs fault for rushing him back?

What if he starts him against the ABs and he scores tha game winning try?

He apparently been playing for 3 months......if you're not gonna start him now for some kind of injury fear then he'll never be 100% ready.

And I don't know if Braveheart's post makes him a genius.....maybe pretty funny but genius may be going too far :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jiggles what did I just say about posting sarcastic, petty shit?

This is a rugby forum and if you can't engage constructively in the debate then we will have to take action.

J

Jiggles

We probably both thought JOC (James O'Connor) wouldn't do it in Hong Kong either...

Nah The Wallabies had the firepower out wide then, and the forwards were in better form. I was confident a win was around the corner with the close loss in Sydney were we played the better rugby.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't get Mitchell's selection. He was timid and underdone at the Tahs and said himself had their season been going well they wouldn't have given him the run.

Is there a report on him from club land, has he been carving it up or something?

His selection is based on form displayed in the first half of 2011. There really isn't a justifiable way on this year to pick him over Dom in any way, shape or form.

The guy is gifted and talented, but playing rugby against the all blacks based on what he has delivered since his return is like suggestion new Zealand has enough excitement to holiday there for more than a weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly Mitchell's selection is based on the form he has shown previously rather than the form he has shown since his return.

Obviously the hope is that given enough match time in club rugby and training with the squad he can come back to his best form.

He is a proven star. They know what he is capable of and want to get him back to that form and fitness and his inclusion in the squad would suggest that they consider that possible during the Rugby Championship.

You can bet James O'Connor will be rushed back into the squad when fit and that will be based on his form of 4 to 5 months ago considering he has only played 40 minutes since then.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
some interesting stats from the QRU release on the Wallaby squad.

Despite only turning 20 in June, Gill flourished as Queensland’s best breakdown scavenger, finishing the 2012 Super Rugby season with a competition-high 33 turnovers, including 26 breakdown or tackle steals. According to Fair Play’s Rugby Analyser statistics, Gill was the only Australian to average more than 2 breakdown or tackle steals per game (2.4).

By comparison, Gill’s Wallabies teammate David Pocock ended the season with 21 breakdown or tackle steals in an extra 245 minutes of Rugby, while Michael Hooper secured 17 breakdown or tackle steals in almost 190 minutes extra of Rugby.
[/QUOTE]

Gill = 2.4 breakdown or tackle steals per game average; Pocock (1.5); Hooper (1.3). Now turnovers arn't the most important thing for a flanker, but I like that type of effectiveness off the bench in a tight game. Someone who is hard on the ball and can snag that crucial turn over.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Bit of a furfy stat in Gill & Pocock. (not undermining his ability) but the force play a style of retention while the reds play field position. Gives gill more opportunities.

Either way, great to have them both and hooper in the national set up, competition and their individual abilities is good for the team. Of o y we had it in more positions.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Jiggles what did I just say about posting sarcastic, petty shit?

This is a rugby forum and if you can't engage constructively in the debate then we will have to take action.

Jiggles is just reacting to your verbal diarrhea, in a valid way I must say. Your points are really invalid and deserve all the piss that's being taken out of them.

Having said that, I think Jiggles has some valid points. I also think you're reading too much into them to think they are entirely sarcastic. Just because they don't agree with your "logic" they're sarcastic?

BTW, FYI, I'm not being sarcastic.

J

Jiggles

Bit of a furfy stat in Gill & Pocock. (not undermining his ability) but the force play a style of retention while the reds play field position. Gives gill more opportunities.

Either way, great to have them both and hooper in the national set up, competition and their individual abilities is good for the team. Of o y we had it in more positions.

The challenge for Gill is going to be how he reacts when teams start to target him, which they started to do after the mid-season break. He didn't seem nearly as effective in the back half of the year. It could also be a case of a young body just not up to it yet. Bring him into the squad and expose him for sure, but I don't think he is ready for test rugby yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.