• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
In 2011 Saia was massive for the Reds. This season I've not been so convinced. It may just be a perception thing but I don't think he's getting through as much work as he has in the past and I think when Chibba has come on for us this year our scrum has picked up. I know Chibba is always going to look better (fresh legs coming on for a tired hooker) but he seems to get around the park better as well.

Saia just looks a lot unfitter than he did last season also.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
some interesting stats from the QRU release on the Wallaby squad.

I know I posted this a few pages back, and I won't go into detail, but the top four super rugby team's flanker turnover stats were very low and it was the bottom teams who did well in securing turnovers. The top teams focussed on playing a diferent style of game and they were the ones who were successful.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also think the top 4 teams held the ball a lot more than the lower ranked teams who achieved a lot of turnovers.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Link obviously thinks Fainga'a is the better player and so do I. I'm not sure what evidence people base the Hanson is clearly better opinion on?

I think Fainga'a is a better player, but not a better hooker, if that makes sense. The Reds can get away with it in Super Rugby because they seem to really only want parity (or not to lose) from their set piece. A good tactic since they are fantastic with ball in hand. That doesn't hold up in test rugby, which is why I would prefer Hanson.

All that said, it's daylight between Moore, TPN and whoever comes after. Let's hope neither of the first two gets injured!

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also would like to see a cooper 10 Barnes 12 combo. And with McCabe Out I hope ANT F jumps on this and gets the 13. He can also crash ball and his defense is alot better along with his skills at pilfering.
Hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cooper has a cracker of a series, and with Drew back the back line can deadly. We have a team that can fucken with this series and I hope we do.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Link obviously thinks Fainga'a is the better player and so do I. I'm not sure what evidence people base the Hanson is clearly better opinion on?

Fainga'a might be better around the field as a second fetcher and dynamic low tackler but his scrummaging is clearly inferior. From press reports TPN is carrying an injury and so Fainga'a may have to be on the bench against NZ. If that happens in one of the games and Moore has to be replaced then I am going to have to look away - watching roadkill is just not nice.

Already I expect our scrum will be under huge pressure against NZ; if Alexander (a Deans favourite) and Fainga'a are on the field together then the scrummaging is going to be cringeworthy.

Fainga'a might be worth the risk against the SA scrum but against NZ and Argentina the penalties will inevitably come.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So. back to rugby.

I think we will almost certainly play a 4-3 bench to accommodate Cooper on the bench. I think Fainga'a will start at 12 and we will have to see Mitchell on the bench.

My forwards bench would be Slipper (although I am expecting Alexander to get picked), TPN (although I am expecting him to start and for it to be Moore), Douglas (although I think it will be Simmons and Timani will start :eek:), and Hooper.

Again, this is what I expect to see. Personally I'd be using McCabe's injury as a chance to return to 10 Cooper, 12 Barnes.

I'm not sure about a 4-3 bench now that White is apparently only there for cover until he has his shoulder operated on.....,,

This essentially leaves us with no halfback cover for Genia.......

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Admittedly, S. Finger was awful for the first 20 vs the Sharks. But in Saia's defence, he took a heavy knock very early on in that game and clearly was well off before he came off. The trainer really should have dragged him earlier, if anything.

Hanson is the better scrummager, but not the better thrower. Hanson is a better ball carrier, but Saia is more effective around the park and better tackler. Would like Saia to eliminate the cheap stuff that has crept into his game. Really, not a lot between them.

And as said above, whoever is our third hooker, they are a long way down from the two first choice hookers, and there's not a lot between them, so I don't think it's too controversial a decision.

The biggest problem is areas where we don't have a standout to pick, or one guy putting his hand up. It may be said we have depth in those positions (lock, 13), but that may be because we lack some real quality in those positions.

Would love a Wallaby lock or a 13, or even an 8 or a loosehead, to put their hand up in the RC and just say, "I must be picked!".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fainga'a suits the Reds, chop em down and reach long for the steal approach in the open

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know I posted this a few pages back, and I won't go into detail, but the top four super rugby team's flanker turnover stats were very low and it was the bottom teams who did well in securing turnovers. The top teams focussed on playing a diferent style of game and they were the ones who were successful.

when you say bottom teams, you obviously don't mean the conference table topping Reds? You know, the finalists?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds were probably the exception, but generally it was teams in the bottom half that had the most pilfers.

J

Jiggles

Chibba had a great season, but he struggled towards a bit after round 8 or 9 which I think was due to the increase in workload he has had to shoulder this year. In saying that he ticks all the boxes. Always makes metres with his carries, carries in tight, hits rucks hard and consistently, tackles well, scrums well, throws well (most of the time). He's got a big future.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Hanson has a much better haircut.
467037-james-hanson.jpg

These guys all disagree... :D

tana_umaga-420x0.jpg
ma-a-nonu.jpg
bookert.jpg
bob marley.jpg
predator.jpg

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In the 30 man squad named there is a team of 22 which could win back the Bledisloe and win the Rugby Championship. Ultimately it comes down to which 22 Deans picks and if history is anything to go by, it won't be this year.
I will still be cheering on the boys but if the team picked for the Wales test series, less injuries, is the team to take the field, I just can't see how we will crack the Kiwi defence. Who knows, maybe Deans has a cunning plan.

P

Paradox

If Moore doesn't start at 2, no Brumbies will start in the test side. Can't remember last time that was the case.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
How did coopers vision transfer from the 2011 reds success to the world cup? We failed to put away countries ranked well below us. He failed to create fluid back line play or keep composure long enough to build consistent pressure.

Cooper is a great player no doubt, but his ability is enhanced by Genia. Genias ability is more important to both the reds and Aus than cooper. Cooper is a game breaker but under pressure that ability can also work in reverse. When he finds Consistancy he is fantastic to watch, I'm yet to see that translate from superugby to the international arena and therefore it is completely justifiable in my opinion for Barnes to be along side him to take the pressure off and allow Quade to pick his spots rather than handle every possession.

OH bollocks.

A series of shit selections and bizarre policies, in addition to Deans' apparent inability to come up with a game plan is what failed Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.