• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You can add loose forwards who do work in the tight to that list

Schatz and Dennis would be the only 2 that fit that criteria. I'm definitely not keen on Samo and Higgers on the park at the same time given the weakness at lock.

J

Jiggles

Picking Mitchell at this stage is dumb. Great player but just coming back from two consecutive major injuries. If he gets injured again in this test he's done, and he can thank Robbie Deans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Picking Mitchell at this stage is dumb. Great player but just coming back from two consecutive major injuries. If he gets injured again in this test he's done, and he can thank Robbie Deans.

Mitchell made his Super Rugby comeback at the end of May.

That means he's been playing either Super Rugby or Club Rugby for almost three months by the time the first test happens.

He might not be back to his best yet, but to suggest that Deans is risking injuring him by bringing him back seems a bit of a leap to take.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Oh come off it. He has to come back at some point, and surely after four or five Super games, a few club games and a couple of months of training he is ready enough.

I'm not talking from a quality of play standpoint, purely from a fitness one.

I think blaming Robbie for the potential end of DM's career is a step too far in your Deans-hate.

J

Jiggles

No you're right. He managed Mitchell's injury exceptionally last year...

#IHaveFaith....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some responsibility has to come back to the player. Mitchell knew he was taking a risk and in fact said that his hamstrings were his biggest issue on his return. Obviously that proved correct and he tore his hammy.

Mitchell would have been desperate to play at the RWC and accepted the risk.

As far as I know the ongoing problems with his ankle that he experienced at the start of the year were completely unrelated to his return to rugby at the RWC.

You can't blame Deans for everything. Well you can, but you'll be wrong.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why is it up to the coach to manage individual injuries?

They have teams of physios and doctors for this, Robbie is not looking at the MRIs and saying "Nah, you're right to play this week Drew, looks good to me". Then there is the player himself, who has the final say and can withdraw if they don't feel 100%.

This desperation to throw all the mud you can at Deans is tiring in the extreme.

J

Jiggles

No you're both right. The Coach shouldn't keep tabs on his better players.

#FaithInTheAnointedOne

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No you're right. He managed Mitchell's injury exceptionally last year.

#IHaveFaith..

Yes. I'm sure DM, the Wallaby doc's, DM's doc etc were telling Robbie, 'Please don't play me in the RWC. I don't think I'm up to it. You're making a big mistake.'

It was all Robbie's fault.

T

TOCC

It's an informed decision that Deans makes based off medical advice and the players 'intent'..

But their is only so much MRI's and medical staff can do when it comes to assessing injuries and how well they have healed.. The ligament might be fully healed but scar tissue and lack of conditioning is the unknown quantity

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We needed Mitchell in the RWC. If he hadn't done his hammy (which was not, btw, a re-injuring of his ankle), he might have been very valuable against the ABs.

Anyway, I'd rather not see Mitchell rushed back into the starting line-up for Bled 1. Off the bench or perhaps against Argentina.

J

Jiggles

I'd tell Robbie Deans I am ready to play in the RWC too last year, dosen't mean I'm right or that he should listen to me.

My point TOCC, is exactly that. Caution should be used when it comes to Mitchell. He is far to valuable in the long run.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No you're both right. The Coach shouldn't keep tabs on his better players.

#FaithInTheAnointedOne

Jiggles please be constructive, rather than sarcastic sniping.

At the end of the day there will always be risk in bringing injured players back. The best you can do is mitigate this by easing the player back into it, which is what they have done with Mitchell. They tried to do it at the RWC as well against Russia, but that proved a poor move. That said if you didn't start him in that game you would be hard pressed finding a decent opportunity to get him back into rugby before the business end of the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.