• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
A big concern for me in the forwards is their shape. The Reds looked less fit than last year, and a of the Tahs forwards looked damn right out of shape. Seeing as these two teams make up a lot of the forward pack in the squad, and the Tahs most of the starting pack, it is a major concern.

The other concern is if most of that rumoured team carry their Super Rugby form into the first test. A lot were either in poor to average form, and a couple others finished the series injured.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And according to the SMH:

Those to miss out from the extended training squad who were involved in a three-day camp in Sydney last week are Vuna, Nick Cummins, Dom Shipperley, Ben Tapuai, Pat McCabe, who is injured, Neville and James Hanson. Reds hooker Saia Fainga'a moves back into the squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We got pulversised well before Benny A came on and it continued when he came on - see http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallabies-scrumaging-woes/ for examples from that game.

Those clips are only from the third test but the same issues existed in the first two tests - the reality is that the Tahs front row when playing for the Wallabies were really poor against Wales.

I still think Robinson is the best loosehead the Wallabies have and should start but his form has dropped off significantly recently. It's a real worry because there is no ready replacement IMO.

Kepu at tighthead? I'd give Palmer a start as he looked better in Super Rugby but I expect Deans to go with Kepu.

The bench prop needs to be able to play both sides well so I'd go with Slipper. Kepu is a real problem at loosehead so shouldn't be a bench option. Palmer is only a tighthead so isn't a bench option. Benny A shouldn't get a spot in the Wallabies as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately Palmer is out with injury.......

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We got pulversised well before Benny A came on and it continued when he came on - see http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallabies-scrumaging-woes/ for examples from that game.

Those clips are only from the third test but the same issues existed in the first two tests - the reality is that the Tahs front row when playing for the Wallabies were really poor against Wales.

I still think Robinson is the best loosehead the Wallabies have and should start but his form has dropped off significantly recently. It's a real worry because there is no ready replacement IMO.

Kepu at tighthead? I'd give Palmer a start as he looked better in Super Rugby but I expect Deans to go with Kepu.

The bench prop needs to be able to play both sides well so I'd go with Slipper. Kepu is a real problem at loosehead so shouldn't be a bench option. Palmer is only a tighthead so isn't a bench option. Benny A shouldn't get a spot in the Wallabies as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with everything you say. If everyone was fit you'd pick Robinson (with some trepidation, but Holmes or Cowan were the next best LHP's on show this season, so Ben gets the nod) and Palmer at THP with Slipper on the bench to play both sides. If Palmer is injured as he is now you have to go with Kepu as he's slightly better than Slipper.

I have seen nothing this year to convince me that we will not be under pressure at every scrum against NZ though I think we will be OK against SA, as the du Plessis brothers and the Beast have not dominated this year. Argentina always have a good scrum too.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The news is certainly not the best:
  1. And now White is crocked and Phipps is our only cover for Genia.
  2. Cadern Neville's development goes on the backburner.
  3. Hanson is chopped and Fainga'a returns. Not good news for the set piece.
  4. Tapuai is cut, potentially our best 12, certainly for the future, though a little underdone. Should have been kept for the bench. Now certain Barnes to 10 and Cooper to the bench.
  5. Shipperley having been cut, then it looks like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Ioane for the wings with Mitchell on the bench.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
  1. And now White is crocked and Phipps is our only cover for Genia.
  2. Cadern Neville's development goes on the backburner.
  3. Hanson is chopped and Fainga'a returns. Not good news for the set piece.
  4. Tapuai is cut, potentially our best 12, certainly for the future, though a little underdone. Should have been kept for the bench.
  5. If Shipperley is cut then it looks like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Ioane for the wings with Mitchell on the bench.

1) we are chronically short on the decent halfback front.
2)Cadern has played so little rugby I'm not sure the rugby championship should be on his development path right now, Shute shield were he will get game time then EOYT a better option.
3)criminal
4)criminal, is taps injured?
5)Mitchell should be playing Shute shield he hasn't shown any form to oust shipperley from the squad and needs game time to get back to form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ben Alexander Prop
Sekope Kepu Prop
Benn Robinson Prop
James Slipper Prop

Stephen Moore Hooker
Tatafu Polota-Nau Hooker
Saia Fainga’a Hooker

Kane Douglas Lock
Nathan Sharpe Lock
Sitaleki Timani Lock
Rob Simmons Lock

Dave Dennis Loose Forward
Radike Samo Loose Forward
Jake Schatz Loose Forward
Scott Higginbotham Loose forward

Michael Hooper Flanker
David Pocock (c) Flanker
Liam Gill Flanker

Will Genia Halfback
Nic White Halfback
Nick Phipps Halfback

Quade Cooper Flyhalf
Mike Harris Flyhalf/Inside Centre
Berrick Barnes Flyhalf/Inside Centre

Anthony Fainga’a Centre
Rob Horne Centre

Digby Ioane Wing
Drew Mitchell Wing
Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing-Midfield
Kurtley Beale Fullback

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
If I was selecting the 30, it'd be:

Greg Holmes Prop
Sekope Kepu Prop
Benn Robinson Prop
James Slipper Prop

Stephen Moore Hooker
Tatafu Polota-Nau Hooker
James Hanson Hooker

Kane Douglas Lock
Nathan Sharpe Lock
Cadern Neville Lock
Rob Simmons Lock

Dave Dennis Loose Forward
Ben Mowen Loose Forward
Jake Schatz Loose Forward
Scott Higginbotham Loose forward

Michael Hooper Flanker
David Pocock (c) Flanker

Will Genia Halfback
Nic White Halfback
Ben Lucas Halfback/Flyhalf/Fullback

Quade Cooper Flyhalf
Berrick Barnes Flyhalf/Inside Centre

Ben Tapuai Centre
Anthony Fainga’a Centre
Rob Horne Centre

Dom Shipperly Wing
Digby Ioane Wing
Drew Mitchell Wing
Adam Ashley-Cooper Fullback-Wing-Midfield
Kurtley Beale Fullback

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good to see Schatz stay on. That is one i wasn't expecting but a smart move. Gill a bit of a surprise as well though i'm expecting Schatz as more likely to get a run at some stage.

Taps must still be low on form to have been cut which is fair enough. He did only play about 40mins in two games and Link wasn't game to bring him on early in the semi. Don't know how people can say Cooper is underdone and then support Taps place.

Enough talk of backs already. Here's my pack.

1. Robinson
2.Moore (seriously Robbie, pull your head from your ass and start him)
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Sharpe
6. Dennis
7. Pocock
8. Higgers

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Schatz (tough on Hooper but IMHO Pocock is enough 7 and a second on the bench isnt going to help a lot)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
1. So after taking no backup 7 to the RWC, Deans has two for this series. Over compensating, perhaps? We could have used that extra slot for another 8 or a winger, IMO.

2. No Tapaui is silly, especially since Mitchell was underdone last time we saw him play. Perhaps training showed things we don't know, perhaps Deans is foolish. History suggests the latter.

3. Anyone who thought Timani wasn't gonna be picked is crazy. He's a Deans favourite and hasn't done enough wrong to earn the chop yet.

T

TOCC

I would have taken Tapuai over Harris given we have 3 players capable of playing 5/8 in the squad..

Samo should be replaced by a winger

Hanson should have been ahead of Saia, we already have 3 opensides in the squad

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Knew Deans was taking the piss with no Pyle, but Neville too. Piss taking on a whole new level.

I see Pyle and Neville today as LH locks and behind Sharpe & Simmons.

As TH locks Timani & Douglas are by themselves with Horwill wounded as the rock shifters. (maybe one reason the Tahs lacked mobility was running both these guys together this season)

Very pleased to see Douglas getting his chance. His work this season has been really strong and effective - and Aus is lacking TH locks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have taken Tapuai over Harris given we have 3 players capable of playing 5/8 in the squad..

Samo should be replaced by a winger

Hanson should have been ahead of Saia, we already have 3 opensides in the squad

that suggests we may even play with some width

T

TOCC

I see Pyle and Neville today as LH locks and behind Sharpe & Simmons.

As TH locks Timani & Douglas are by themselves with Horwill wounded as the rock shifters. (maybe one reason the Tahs lacked mobility was running both these guys together this season)

Very pleased to see Douglas getting his chance. His work this season has been really strong and effective - and Aus is lacking TH locks.

I'm pleased Douglas is in the squad, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Sharpe as the starting locks

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, proper tight forwards don't get enough recognition in Aus because they don't run of centres out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.