• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds look good when:

In attack they have multiple forward runners and Genia picks off the one in more space (high speed of play)
In defense they are knocking the opposition over at the knees and coming over the top to attack or slow the ball.

They look bad at scrum time, and sometimes at the breakdown in getting out muscled.

Who, from outside the Reds, can compliment this style of game, while improving the set piece and muscle?

- Dennis, Douglas, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Sharpe.

Who could if they improved their fitness?

- TPN, Robinson

Who doesn't really compliment this style?

- Palu, Timani

I think you essentially want to have the Tahs frontrow (with Moore), combined with the Reds and Brumbies back 5 - Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Carter, Pocock (well, still technically a Force member), Mowen, Hooper, Gill, Higginbotham... with Dennis (by far the best Tah forward this year) and Palu for impact.

What irks me about selecting the Tahs locks is that they probably had the worst locking combination of all the Australian teams (on part with the Force)......

A

AlexH

you have just described Cummins and he is in the Squad for all the reasons above. Hopefully he gets a run at the end of the year as I doubt he will during the RC.

Cummins does not run good lines and tries to pull a whole bunch of flashy crap to make it look like he is doing something useful when in actual fact he cannot run at holes to save his life.

J

Jiggles

Scott Allen's Video show's how lazy Player's like Kepu, TPN & Robinson are at getting around the park and back into realignment.

A

AlexH

I think you essentially want to have the Tahs frontrow (with Moore), combined with the Reds and Brumbies back 5 - Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Carter, Pocock (well, still technically a Force member), Mowen, Hooper, Gill, Higginbotham. with Dennis (by far the best Tah forward this year) and Palu for impact.

What irks me about selecting the Tahs locks is that they probably had the worst locking combination of all the Australian teams (on part with the Force)..

Looking for a job? They might be looking for Wallabies selectors again soon.

The only name I would add to that list is Neville. It would be great to blood him against Argentina off the bench or something. Maybe its too soon for him. I'm undecided on that one.

Also, I am a big fan of the Fardy-Carter second row combination while Horwill is injured leaving Simmons to come off the bench as a set of fresh legs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Scott Allen's Video show's how lazy Player's like Kepu, TPN & Robinson are at getting around the park and back into realignment.

I often react when people call me one eyed by saying there are others on here that put me to shame. I never name names though. Yet in certain cases I find it hard not to............

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looking for a job? They might be looking for Wallabies selectors again soon.

The only name I would add to that list is Neville. It would be great to blood him against Argentina off the bench or something. Maybe its too soon for him. I'm undecided on that one.

Also, I am a big fan of the Fardy-Carter second row combination while Horwill is injured leaving Simmons to come off the bench as a set of fresh legs.

I should've also mentioned the Rebels' tall men who were all very good this year.......

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds look good when:

In attack they have multiple forward runners and Genia picks off the one in more space (high speed of play)
In defense they are knocking the opposition over at the knees and coming over the top to attack or slow the ball.

They look bad at scrum time, and sometimes at the breakdown in getting out muscled.

Who, from outside the Reds, can compliment this style of game, while improving the set piece and muscle?

- Dennis, Douglas, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Sharpe.

Who could if they improved their fitness?

- TPN, Robinson

Who doesn't really compliment this style?

- Palu, Timani

I would add a few more to your list of complimentary players - Pyle, Kimlin, Mowen. The common theme is they are all hard workers who actually perform their core functions unlike some others who continually get selected on the potential they have but have not (or not recently) demonstrated, and in some cases purely on physical attributes

J

Jiggles

I often react when people call me one eyed by saying there are others on here that put me to shame. I never name names though. Yet in certain cases I find it hard not to....

Sorry, you are correct. Those players are the epitome of fitness and hard work, and have been for a number of years... It must explain the amazing performances of the teams in which they play in...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry, you are correct. Those players are the epitome of fitness and hard work, and have been for a number of years. It must explain the amazing performances of the teams in which they play in.

Aus 3 wales 0
Your right.

Heaven forbid a front row shape up in the set piece and then not run around like headless chooks.

Heaven forbid that we select a team on attributes of different positions instead of selecting athletes ala rugby league.

I'm not saying there the fittest they can be, I'm just saying that maybe your judgement remains clouded by the happenings of an event over 12 months ago.

J

Jiggles

No No WJ no need to get your knickers in a knot. I agree, those players I named are excellent workers and the teams they are in generally excel. We should keep picking them.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
We got pulversised well before Benny A came on and it continued when he came on - see http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallabies-scrumaging-woes/ for examples from that game.

Those clips are only from the third test but the same issues existed in the first two tests - the reality is that the Tahs front row when playing for the Wallabies were really poor against Wales.

I still think Robinson is the best loosehead the Wallabies have and should start but his form has dropped off significantly recently. It's a real worry because there is no ready replacement IMO.

Kepu at tighthead? I'd give Palmer a start as he looked better in Super Rugby but I expect Deans to go with Kepu.

The bench prop needs to be able to play both sides well so I'd go with Slipper. Kepu is a real problem at loosehead so shouldn't be a bench option. Palmer is only a tighthead so isn't a bench option. Benny A shouldn't get a spot in the Wallabies as far as I'm concerned.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would of called Greg Holmes a ready made replacement for Robinson and am still amaized he was not selected.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
No No WJ no need to get your knickers in a knot. I agree, those players I named are excellent workers and the teams they are in generally excel. We should keep picking them.

No no no jiggles your right, just throw Qld out there, much better scrum than any other Aussie team.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Vuna hurt his shoulder playing for Endeavour Hills on Saturday, ruled out.

The Rugby Gods have finally done something positive for the Wallabies. The idea he might have been selected for games against NZ had me lying awake at nights.

I don't like being happy someone got injured, but Deans has pushed him up way beyond his current defensive skills. Hard to say, but its better for him not to play than to play, be found out by the NZ wingers and discarded forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.