• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Fair enough.

In any case, I think the best we have seen from Rob Horne was a small amount of promise and that was back at the start of the 2011 Super Rugby season and playing for the Australian Barbarians against Canada (which hardly merits a mention for obvious reasons).

That Barbarians game was the one that Taps carved them up. Made the other contenders look pretty average.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That didn't excuse his poor execution at many times during the RWC.

Our game plan might not have suited him but his error rate was far greater than it should have been.

Genia also had a really poor RWC which didn't help Cooper. Neither of them executed skills at anywhere the level they had been doing prior to the RWC.

At this stage, I would say Cooper's greatest problem at test level has been his consistency. So far, for every brilliant test match he plays, he also has a pretty average one.

I would suggest another viewing of Austo's blog piece. The startling change in Wallaby tactics from everything up to that point may have had a big big part to play in the form and error rate of both players and a couple of others as well.

The facts outlined in the excellent blog piece mentioned should viewed along with the comments of Cooper from last year regarding the game plan or lack there of.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The startling change in Wallaby tactics from everything up to that point may have had a big big part to play in the form and error rate of both players and a couple of others as well.

110% agree - it was a horror to watch. Cooper has a rugby brain that has the uncanny ability to read the play 4 phases ahead, how, I have no idea. Watch him change sides, direct players around him, and orchestrate play. It is a skill that is that cant be coached, coach around him, understand what makes him tick.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
110% agree - it was a horror to watch. Cooper has a rugby brain that has the uncanny ability to read the play 4 phases ahead, how, I have no idea. Watch him change sides, direct players around him, and orchestrate play. It is a skill that is that cant be coached, coach around him, understand what makes him tick.

Sorry, playing 4 phases ahead is a coached skill, the "playing what's in front of you" is the thing that cooper possesses that is individual talent.In the world cup he was asked to play within himself. The fact he was unable to not push passes or go for stupid low percentage plays were what resulted in his errors.

He is a fantastic player ad I agree if you are going to play him you need to select the team around him. However I don't believe this image people seem to have that somehow the entire Qld structure can be transplanted from last years superugby to the international scene with the same level of success. The increase in pressure from defense ad our inability to dominate in the forwards result in far less the for the coopers of this world and as a result we need to protect him.

Perhaps cooper needs to develop an international game to compliment the team units current structure.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Do you mean transplant the QLD structure?

Could it really be that difficult? Not that I think they should or would copy the gameplan but its obvious to see the benefit. If it couldn't be transferred to the test team we have serious player problems.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Could it really be that difficult? Not that I think they should or would copy the gameplan but its obvious to see the benefit. If it couldn't be transferred to the test team we have serious player problems.

The reds gameplay worked on forward parity, we rarely have forward parity. Coopers problem is playing his natural game under reduced space, result = disaster.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
You don't think with better structure the forwards could achieve parity? The reds played as a unit to punch above there weight. Why can't the wallabies? At least get is a lot closer than they have in the past.

J

Jiggles

Implementing the Reds game-plan at the Wallabies would mean a number of forwards from outside Queensland need to work on their fitness big time, and they have clearly put their foot down with regards to that! Additionally it would be an admission by Deans that his methods of the last 5 years have been wrong, and I think we may see pigs fly before that happens.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Do you mean transplant the QLD structure?

Not exactly but the Reds ability to play to its strengths and adapt would not go astray.

Not always but what the Reds know how to do is breakdown an opposition and create its opportunities. I would love for the Wallabies to be doing that. They have the instinct and flair to take advantage of a situation when one comes along "play what's in front of you" but they more often create those opportunities than not.

Combine this with the strength of the Tahs set piece and the skill of the Brumbies pack and it all will bode well for the future in my view.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sorry, playing 4 phases ahead is a coached skill, the "playing what's in front of you" is the thing that cooper possesses that is individual talent.In the world cup he was asked to play within himself. The fact he was unable to not push passes or go for stupid low percentage plays were what resulted in his errors

WJ - slowly getting there reading 4 phases ahead with vision is different to constructing 4 phases ahead - constructing 4 phases ahead is what the Tah's have been doing - it is boring and repetitive even, the oposition is knowing our phases ahead of what we (the Tah's) play. Reading the play is intuition you are ahead of the game and the oposition.

You are an avid loyal Tah's supporter, so am I - fingers crossed B Melrose gets the job - wrong thread.

With regards to Deans and Cooper, and game plan - i think be understanding him a great team will evolve - ability to play to its strengths and adapt would not go astray

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Implementing the Reds game-plan at the Wallabies would mean a number of forwards from outside Queensland need to work on their fitness big time, and they have clearly put their foot down with regards to that! Additionally it would be an admission by Deans that his methods of the last 5 years have been wrong, and I think we may see pigs fly before that happens.

Unfortunately some of those forwards you speak of were overlooked......,

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The reds gameplay worked on forward parity, we rarely have forward parity. Coopers problem is playing his natural game under reduced space, result = disaster.

Hang on. I thought that most rate the Reds pack as one of the weakest of the comp?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Reds look good when:

In attack they have multiple forward runners and Genia picks off the one in more space (high speed of play)
In defense they are knocking the opposition over at the knees and coming over the top to attack or slow the ball.

They look bad at scrum time, and sometimes at the breakdown in getting out muscled.

Who, from outside the Reds, can compliment this style of game, while improving the set piece and muscle?

- Dennis, Douglas, Moore, Pocock, Hooper, Sharpe.

Who could if they improved their fitness?

- TPN, Robinson

Who doesn't really compliment this style?

- Palu, Timani

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The reds can get forward parity because their forwards are fit, and the halves combo are able to keep the forward momentum ticking over which keeps the pack motivated.

They have a structure where the forward play complements the back play and vice versa. The wallabies can't seem to click in the same way.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont see the fuss over Palu.

He does a lot of good things for the tahs, but he has never really stepped up at test level against the all blacks or the springboks.

I think with higgers, dennis and mowen we might strike a better balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.