• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Why take our best 10 and swap him with our best 15? Finger is better on defense than Horne and has a better distribution game, so you'd move him to 13. Barnes at 12 for the first test with Taps playing out the last 25 to see how he goes. Taps is a far better footballer than Barnes, but I'd like to see him eased into his test match career.
Taps is a 12, I see Barnes better suited to 15.

A

AlexH

Horne may have bombed a try against Wales but if he's on his game he should give Nonu something to think about as well.

Remind me again, when was the last time Rob Horne was on his game?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yet he was MOTM in 2 of the 3 tests against Wales.

He will be in the starting side for the first test and most likely playing 10.

Personally I'd be moving him to 12 with McCabe out injured and playing Cooper, but it seems very likely that Barnes will retain the 10 jersey and Cooper will be on the bench.

A

AlexH

Personally I'd be moving him to 12 with McCabe out injured and playing Cooper, but it seems very likely that Barnes will retain the 10 jersey and Cooper will be on the bench.

Personally, I thought Barnes was the pick of an under-performing Wallabies team. His tactical kicking was excellent but his running, passing and defensive game was pretty standard.

I think the fact Wales played pretty poorly as well might have made him look a lot better than he actually was. I reckon he will be exposed against the ABs and Boks.

I guess opinions are like buttholes though and I am probably wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If there's one thing that Deans has to do it is surely to reward consistency.

If a raft of new players are bought into the backline and they don't perform, Deans looks like an imbecile and we go backwards considerably.

There is certainly a lot to improve on after the Wales series, but winning the series 3-0 makes it very difficult and probably unwise to change the team around a lot.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Hey I probably wouldn't pick him either but he's certainly not the basket case that many would claim he is. And to clarify, my comment was concerned with Horne as a defender. Not all round ability. If that matters.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

And after watching Scott Allen's video I'm convinced he could not organise a piss-up in a brewery. He is a reasonable 12 and I'd have him there for the first test but he is not a backline general. Look at how disjointed the Tahs backs are with him at 10.

Piggies were screaming out for someone to tell them where to go and they looked like lost sheep. It's a wonder we win as many tests as we do and often it is individual x- factor. The talent is there for it to be so much better. Whether Deans is just that bad or the players aren't doing what he wants someone needs to be accountable.

A

AlexH

Fair enough.

In any case, I think the best we have seen from Rob Horne was a small amount of promise and that was back at the start of the 2011 Super Rugby season and playing for the Australian Barbarians against Canada (which hardly merits a mention for obvious reasons).

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I would seriously like to see Barnes run at 13. But let's try it at club level first.

Sent using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And after watching Scott Allen's video I'm convinced he could not organise a piss-up in a brewery. He is a reasonable 12 and I'd have him there for the first test but he is not a backline general. Look at how disjointed the Tahs backs are with him at 10.

Piggies were screaming out for someone to tell them where to go and they looked like lost sheep. It's a wonder we win as many tests as we do and often it is individual x- factor. The talent is there for it to be so much better. Whether Deans is just that bad or the players aren't doing what he wants someone needs to be accountable.

I think that is failure by the entire team to be in the right position.

The 10 can't be responsible for making sure players line up with some width on the opposite side of the field to where they are.

Scott's video analysis was pretty depressing on how much it showed our team is lacking in terms of common sense tactics. It should be second nature for our players to put themselves in positions that help the team if they're not involved at the breakdown.

I agree that Barnes could be a much better backline general but he can't be blamed for our forwards either just following the ball or standing in a clump behind the ruck.

I guarantee that Dan Carter isn't telling his players where to stand after each breakdown.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He has actually been traveling OK.

His defence in the three test matches was very good and he is scoring tries for the Tahs and the Wobs

My complaint about him is that he has been a bit selfish, the try he bombed should have been scored in the corner by the winger and the one he nearly dropped, but scored should have been passed as well.

Would I prefer an upgrade? sure, but who will do any better? There ain't anyone who have any attacking nouce except maybe Taps, but he is a 12.

We are struggling for 13s, If we had a decent winger healthy AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be at 13, but we don't, so Horne has the nod.

T

TOCC

Why take our best 10 and swap him with our best 15? .

Its completley a matter of opinion as to who the best 10 is...

If you were to ask me who showed the best form at 10 in 2012.. I would say Lealifano followed by Beale..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
this imo will be the 22 picked

1. Robinson 2. TPN 3. Kepu 4. Timani 5. Sharpe 6. Dennis 7. Pocock 8. Higginbotham 9. Genia 10. Barnes 11. Ioane 12. Fainga'a 13. Horne 14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Beale 16. Moore 17. Slipper 18. Simmons 19. McCalman 20. White 21. Cooper 22. Tapuai

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
McCalman is still injured I'm pretty sure. That unfourtunately looks about right. I say unfourtunately because Cooper in the bench would be a disgrace.

We cannot beat the AB's without him, we need that creative spark.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Not to say Barnes couldn't have done better, but a similar criticism could be leveled at Genia from that video. Which is to say, I would place most of the blame on the coaches.

A

AlexH

He has actually been traveling OK.

His defence in the three test matches was very good and he is scoring tries for the Tahs and the Wobs

My complaint about him is that he has been a bit selfish, the try he bombed should have been scored in the corner by the winger and the one he nearly dropped, but scored should have been passed as well.

Would I prefer an upgrade? sure, but who will do any better? There ain't anyone who have any attacking nouce except maybe Taps, but he is a 12.

We are struggling for 13s, If we had a decent winger healthy AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be at 13, but we don't, so Horne has the nod.

What about Andrew Smith from the Brumbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.