• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Atrocious. Outstanding.

I can complete accept someone thinking Fainga'a had a better season than Horne. But I'd have to question who hasn't been watching much rugby if you think one was "atrocious" and the other "outstanding".

Not justifing test selection but Horne had a fantastic year in that he managed to play out a full season. That must of done wonders for the blokes confidence and that is really positive. I wouldn't say Ant was outstanding but he was solid and he always is.

With a Wallaby hat on now I will back whoever they select but he must be able to distribute the ball.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)

Ruggo said:
With a Wallaby hat on now I will back whoever they select but he must be able to distribute the ball.​

Oh please! Have you not been following Robbies game plan for the last couple of years :rolleyes:

What are you thinking?

We demand medioctrity, none of this ball passing, nor proper game plan, nor proper attack!

Get with the system! Bloody hell don't start rocking the boat. We have been consistant for four years and you want to change things.... shame on you!​

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Not justifing test selection but Horne had a fantastic year in that he managed to play out a full season. That must of done wonders for the blokes confidence and that is really positive. I wouldn't say Ant was outstanding but he was solid and he always is.

With a Wallaby hat on now I will back whoever they select but he must be able to distribute the ball.

So, they must not ignore their outside man? Even if he's unmarked with a good 30 m of open line in front of him?

I agree.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
v the Blecks I'd be picking:

15 Beale
14 Shipperley
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 Fainga'a
11 Ioane
10 Quade
9 Genia

8 Higgers
7 Pocock
6 Dennis
5 Sharpe
4 Douglas
3 Kepu
2 Moore
1 Robinson

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Simmons
19 Hooper
20 White
21 Barnes
22 Benny Taps

Richo

John Thornett (49)
To my mind, we have a serious problem in a lack of strong contenders for 13. That's not to say the position isn't competitive but that we're choosing between players with serious limitations rather than between strong options in absolute terms.

Taps might be the long term solution but that's by no means clear just yet. Horne might still come good. Fainga'a might develop a sufficient attacking game. McCabe might convert well. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might learn to pass (ha!). A lot of mights.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It appears Palu is out for the first two tests as well. Fuck.

Dennis and Higginbotham I guess.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear.......

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...place-pat-mccabe/story-e6frg7o6-1226441773489

Inside running goes to Rob Horne to replace Pat McCabe
WALLABIES assistant coach Tony McGahan has nominated outside centre Rob Horne as a potential replacement for injured inside centre Pat McCabe for the opening Rugby Championship Test against the All Blacks in Sydney in two weeks.

McCabe will be sidelined for four to six weeks with a stress fracture of his lower left leg, ruling him out of the first two Tests against the All Blacks in Sydney and Auckland.

While there are several options at inside centre, Horne would be the midfielder whose game is most like that of McCabe's.

Horne started at inside centre for the Wallabies against the US in the World Cup in New Zealand last year to give him experience in the position.

After fracturing his cheekbone in a collision in the opening minute, he scored a try and played the majority of the game.

"Losing any player of Pat's stature in the group, not only from a playing perspective, but also from a leadership perspective, is certainly going to be a big loss, but it opens an opportunity for someone else to come in and take that spot," McGahan said.

"Someone will step up. Rob Horne is there. We've still got some other options." The other options include Adam Ashley-Cooper, Anthony Fainga'a, Mike Harris and Ben Tapuai, who re-signed with the ARU and the Queensland Reds yesterday for another two years.

There is also the possibility of playing Kurtley Beale or Quade Cooper at five-eighth and moving Berrick Barnes to inside centre.

"I could list four or five guys," McGahan said. "We'll have a look at the best fit. You don't want to be moving guys out of position and changing a lot so hopefully we'll get through the rest of this camp without any more injuries."

Asked whether the Wallabies would choose an inside centre to match up with Sonny Bill Williams, McGahan said: "Our primary focus will be how we want to play and how we want to defend and what we want to do."

McGahan said the Wallabies would like to settle on a new inside centre as soon as possible.

"You want to be giving players the opportunity to train there and be able to settle on that and give the whole team and that particular individual time to be able to participate and demonstrate what they have to do in training and have the ability and confidence to put that on the field," he said.

The Wallabies are hoping McCabe, James O'Connor and Wycliff Palu will return from injury for the Test against the Springboks in Perth in six weeks.

"You are missing three players who have such a huge influence at Test level," McGahan said.

"Any time you are taking out high-quality players ... and James Horwill adds another name to that list ... it's always going to be difficult."

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
I think a ball playing 12 and a strong defending 13 is what we need. Horne for mine is our best option at 13. I have been a fan of his since his Tahs debut season. His potential that everyone saw needs to be shown now. I think Cooper is relishing at the opportunity to make amends against the AB's however needs a second option outside of him in Barnes.

Between now and the 2015 RWC i would be working on the ball skills of McCabe and Horne. Potential for an absolutely demolishing centre pairing.

Best back line for 18th August:
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Barnes
Horne
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Beale

bench between Finger/Taps/Mitchell/Harris depending on split and strategy. For mine Mitchell and Faiinga as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is versatile however staunch defence is a miss and that is where Finger comes in.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Urgh. I'm okay with Horne at 13. But 12 seems like a terrible idea.

From the article, though, it seems like a beat up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bret Harris uses the same quotes to make it sound like Horne is a certainty at 12 whereas other reports just draw the conclusion that it is one of several options.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'm guessing this is a done deal. No mention of Barnes in the list of likely 12's until the following paragraph so will be odds on to stay at 10.

Where the hell does an Aus coach get off saying they don't want to play someone out of position? It's been a hallmark of the last 4 year's.

My money is on this lot.

9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

Is Deans positioning himself for a shot at the Tahs coaching gig from 2014? They may appoint a caretaker next year then he could step in. Heard it here first folks.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Totality Tony has spoken. It must be the best option, what would we armchair critics know?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seriously, you all know that I'm one of the few fans of Horne there is but if Dingo picks him at 12 it is about as smart as putting a loaded shotgun in your mouth. Really Robbie? Really? Oh yeah, good idea, lets move our outside centre (who has actually consistently held that position for a while now - a rarity among our backs) to 12 to defend and attack against the premier 12 in the world at the moment (as much as I hate to admit it SBW has really played well these last 12 months).

I know who you are Robbie. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you stop selecting players out of position, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I punch you square in the nuts.

J

Jiggles

So we are taking a mediocre 13, and shoving him into a position he has never played at in either Super Rugby or tests... against the All Blacks.

The sad thing is that these types of decisions don't even shock me any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.