• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My concern is that after about 50 to 60 minutes we get tired and lose technique against the ABs.

Then the clean out goes to shit, which means we need more units to effect the now slower cleanout, which means there are less units available at the next ruck = turnover.

We won't be spinning it wide against these guys, we will be working hard to keep the ball close to the pigs.

On Fotu, his workrate looks worse than Palu's (and it can be a concern)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't be playing JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 first game back.

I'd be bringing him back via the bench. He has played very little rugby in a long time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No, he was quite good in the Tri Nations, and was a key player in our QF win against South Africa in the RWC...

And he played quite well in the Welsh series too....

Was worse than average vs the Irish.

Like I said I would only have him as average overall.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wouldn't be playing JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 first game back.

I'd be bringing him back via the bench. He has played very little rugby in a long time.

I agree, I intentionally wrote a fit JOC (James O'Connor) for that reason. That said, agree or disagree? (although I'd actually have berrick 10, JOC (James O'Connor) 12 anyway)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a tough choice.

If everyone is fit I'd probably have JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 because I think Cooper and Barnes both need a spot in our best backline.

I do agree that if JOC (James O'Connor) is at 12 then I'd prefer Barnes at 10. If Cooper is at 10 I'd prefer Barnes at 12.

Ultimately I want to see McCabe at 13.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
JOC (James O'Connor) has played 577 mins, and still managed to be one of the best backs in the game for metres per game at 75.3m per game, pretty tidy for a guy who played centre/five eighth. I'd be playing him, frankly we can't afford not to.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think you drop Sharpie. I like him and think he's been the Wallabies best lock for the past few years but against Scotland/Wales he was safe and nothing much else. Time to start the young blood. I don't know who exactly but pick a couple of guys and get them stuck in. I'm not sold on Timani. I haven't ever seen him roll someone a la Eben v Bismark. Until he has a bit of a rep for being able to lay the hurt on, I think he's a bit over-rated on that front.
I think you start looking past Palu as well. The guy can't seem to stay un-injured for more than a month. And in all honesty, he only really been average against NZ and SA. He can bully Wales and Ireland around OK but he doesn't have the same impact against the SH teams.
If only either Moore or TPN could also play prop. But they don't so......you've got Pocock, Moore and TPN as pretty much the only forwards who I think can go toe-to-toewith their counter-parts for physicality (for lack of a better word).

So you don't try to match the ABs and SAs there. I think the Wallabies have to get more niggly, they have to be quicker, they have to be fitter and in your face all game long. Have you ever played against a team that you knew that physically you should have just completely rolled but they were like pesky flippin rodents who just seemed to be everywhere all the time and you couldn't keep them down and they just kept coming and coming and stealing your ball when you least expected it cos they made real good tackles round your ankles when you were trying to run over the top of them and then 3 more of them were all over you trying to turn the ball over and they attacked you as a pack rather than just man-on-man?

Ugly way to describe it but I reckon that's how the Wallaby pack needs to play right now. If they can play as a pack and play to their strengths, they may not necessarily have to be as 'physical' as NZ and SA are expected to be.

There's more than enough stike power in the backs....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was worse than average vs the Irish.

Like I said I would only have him as average overall.

Most of the team were worse than average against the Irish.......

So let's not use one game against him...

Genia and Cooper were both terrible throughout the whole tournament but we're not going to let that ignore all their good performances now......

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
@ Slim - I would only have a fit JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench. Best spot for him.

@ Bullrush - great post. Agree with pretty much all of that. The best part about your post is that you don't have a Reds/Tahs/Brumbies/Force/Rebels logo in your top right corner. We Aussies have a real hard time looking past our provincial players come test time. ;) Me included!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) has played 577 mins, and still managed to be one of the best backs in the game for metres per game at 75.3m per game, pretty tidy for a guy who played centre/five eighth. I'd be playing him, frankly we can't afford not to.

I think the issue with JOC (James O'Connor) is that he hasn't played since June 29 when he played just over a half before getting reinjured.

Prior to that his last game was on the 21st of April against the Waratahs.

No one is doubting the impact he has made when he's been healthy, but 46 minutes of rugby in the last 3 and a half months is a massive worry.

J

Jiggles

Good post Bullrush, I agree that's the only way we can play against the All Blacks. Its for that reason I don't like either TPN or Timani in the starting 15 against the Darkness. Sure TPN makes an impressive big hit every now and then, or hits a ruck quite well once in a while. But he doesn't have the fitness to do it more than every so often or for 80 minutes. I'd rather have Moore who makes tackles consistently, hits rucks consistently, and backs up his man consistently. And he does it with Mongrel. Timani just doesn't do anything full stop. A bit overrated is an understatement.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you drop Sharpie. I like him and think he's been the Wallabies best lock for the past few years but against Scotland/Wales he was safe and nothing much else. Time to start the young blood. I don't know who exactly but pick a couple of guys and get them stuck in. I'm not sold on Timani. I haven't ever seen him roll someone a la Eben v Bismark. Until he has a bit of a rep for being able to lay the hurt on, I think he's a bit over-rated on that front.
I think you start looking past Palu as well. The guy can't seem to stay un-injured for more than a month. And in all honesty, he only really been average against NZ and SA. He can bully Wales and Ireland around OK but he doesn't have the same impact against the SH teams.
If only either Moore or TPN could also play prop. But they don't so..you've got Pocock, Moore and TPN as pretty much the only forwards who I think can go toe-to-toewith their counter-parts for physicality (for lack of a better word).

So you don't try to match the ABs and SAs there. I think the Wallabies have to get more niggly, they have to be quicker, they have to be fitter and in your face all game long. Have you ever played against a team that you knew that physically you should have just completely rolled but they were like pesky flippin rodents who just seemed to be everywhere all the time and you couldn't keep them down and they just kept coming and coming and stealing your ball when you least expected it cos they made real good tackles round your ankles when you were trying to run over the top of them and then 3 more of them were all over you trying to turn the ball over and they attacked you as a pack rather than just man-on-man?

Ugly way to describe it but I reckon that's how the Wallaby pack needs to play right now. If they can play as a pack and play to their strengths, they may not necessarily have to be as 'physical' as NZ and SA are expected to be.

There's more than enough stike power in the backs..

You have made me all nostalgic Bullrush! That's how we used to beat teams.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bullrush, you made some interesting points. However you got me offside straight away by suggesting we drop sharpe for being safe. He's a lock, he's not supposed to set the word on fire. He does his job and he does it bloody well. Save the fancy shit for higginbotham

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I get what Bullrush is saying but I don't think the Rugby Championship is the time or the place to ditch our experienced players and blood youth. Do that on the EOYT and June tests.

It's not like we have lock options coming out our ears. We need Sharpe at the moment and are struggling enough just to pick a second lock.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dropping Sharp and Palu would certainly be brave.

Palu has had a big year that's gone largely unnoticed. He's averaged 71m per game with one of the highest offload rates in the comp. His workrate has been immense.

As for Sharp, I can see him being asked to burn for 60 only, but anything less is surely trolling at this point for the Bled.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
@ Slim - I would only have a fit JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench. Best spot for him.

@ Bullrush - great post. Agree with pretty much all of that. The best part about your post is that you don't have a Reds/Tahs/Brumbies/Force/Rebels logo in your top right corner. We Aussies have a real hard time looking past our provincial players come test time. ;) Me included!

Funny thing is he was pretty much describing how the reds played last year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Palu has had a big year that's gone largely unnoticed. He's averaged 71m per game with one of the highest offload rates in the comp. His workrate has been immense.

As for Sharp, I can see him being asked to burn for 60 only, but anything less is surely trolling at this point for the Bled.

People don't realise that Palu either topped the tackle count or came 2nd in the 3 Welsh games despite playing only 55mins twice. He also was up there for runs. The idea that he has a poor workrate imo is a myth.

I'm concerned about Sharpie's back as well. I hope it's right.

T

TOCC

averaged 71min?
I find that hard to believe, in 2012 he only once played 80min and 6 times he played less then 60min.

He is still the most effective number 8 in the country though.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Tocc: Averaged 71 metres per 80 minutes. He never strung out a full game; averaged around 56 mins per game. Damn nice 56 minutes though...

728 minutes total, 95 tackles made, 14 tackles missed, 104 ruck mauls, 129 runs, 641 metres, 19 offloads. 13 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.