• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2012 Championship Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I doubt this forward talk will catch on, as I'm sure there's more about midfield combo's we can discuss but I agree, without Horwill & now Palu, we may struggle up front against the Darkness and the Boks.

Front 3: Kepu, Moore, Robinson
Middle 4: Pocock, Sharpe, Simmons, Higgers
Back 1: Fotu

Spares: Slipper, TPN, Timani, Mowen, Dennis

We clearly struggle without a replacement lock that is as abrasive as Big Kev, but the big problem is at 8. I like what Fotu does there. Runs fucking hard and doesn't give an inch. Whether he could do it against the AB's? We'll see but he's worth a shot.

I have also included Sharpe and I'm not certain why. He had a great season with the Force and did a heap of work v Wales but he was just so predictable. Against the AB's and Saffas I think you could do worse than someone younger like Pyle?

Fotu Auelua was not listed on the squad. He was also not listed as one of those who was not considered through injury. Logically (a word that should be used sparingly when discussing Deans' selections) Auelua is not in consideration to even make the squad.

Now some may think that he should be in the squad unless he's injured and I'd be inclined to agree with that. But the idea that he might be selected without training with the rest of the team is just crazy. There's only one international coach that would do it..........

T

TOCC

Im not even sure Fotu has shown enough to warrant a position in the squad...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Im not even sure Fotu has shown enough to warrant a position in the squad.

Before he was injured he was playing a bit like Palu. I guess if you think Palu's no good then you wouldn't give Fotu a spot. For me, Palu was our best forward this year.

T

TOCC

Before he was injured he was playing a bit like Palu. I guess if you think Palu's no good then you wouldn't give Fotu a spot. For me, Palu was our best forward this year.

lol, im confused...
I think Palu is a very good player, i've always agreed with that point..

However in regards to Fotu, im just not sure ive seen enough for him to warrant Wallaby selection.. In addition to that, given the questioning of other players fitness levels then surely this is applicable to Fotu who obviously has issues in this department.

A

AlexH

Its a shame Scott Fardy is twenty-eight years old or he would be an excellent selection.

Timani had a good Super Rugby season in 2011 but has been pretty pedestrian throughout 2012. At this stage it seems reasonably likely that he will be given a spot in the starting but I would much rather see Dingo blood Caderyn Neville, Sam Carter, Kane Douglas or Hugh Pyle. Simmons would be a better option too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anthony Fainga'a seizes running for inside centre spot as Robbie Deans weighs up Test squad
Berrick Barnes ... lined up at five-eighth for the Wallabies at training this week. Source:Gregg Porteous / News Limited
Wallabies coach Robbie Deans is close to finalising the team to play the All Blacks in the opening Test of the inaugural Rugby Championship in Sydney in two weeks.
Deans oversaw his squad at Leichhardt Oval in Sydney on Friday on the final day of a three-day camp. Based on what was on display, the run-on side against New Zealand will not differ much from that which beat Wales in the third Test in June.

The backline was virtually the same, with Berrick Barnes at five-eighth instead of Quade Cooper, who ran with the reserves and will play for Souths in Brisbane on Saturday. Kurtley Beale was at fullback with Adam Ashley-Cooper and Digby Ioane on the wings, and Rob Horne at outside centre.

Anthony Fainga'a ran almost exclusively at inside centre in place of the injured Pat McCabe, indicating he was among the frontrunners for the No 12 jersey.

Fainga'a is one of a number of options, including Ashley-Cooper, Barnes, Horne, Ben Tapuai and Mike Harris.
"It's bad timing for Paddy," Fainga'a said. "If that opportunity arises, I'm happy to fill the spot and make it my own, but Paddy's done a fantastic job over the last couple of years. Like I say to Ewen (McKenzie), Robbie (Deans), any coach I play for, as long as I'm in the team, that's all that matters."
While Fainga'a has mainly played outside centre for the past two years, he played his first Test against the All Blacks at Eden Park in 2010 at inside centre.
One of the reasons he is being strongly considered for the inside-centre role is his physical, low-tackling style, which would be effective against powerful All Blacks midfielders Sonny Bill Williams and Ma'a Nonu.
"They are both proven players and they are fantastic in their own right," Fainga'a said.
"Ma'a Nonu has been around for a long time and Sonny Bill is playing fantastic, which is why they (the Chiefs) are in the (Super Rugby) final.
"For myself, or whoever plays in the centres against the All Blacks, it is going to be a tough task."
Fainga'a said the way to stop Williams was to tackle low, but you still needed a second defender to prevent him from offloading.
"You still tackle low, but your second man has to be over the top quicker," he said. "Both Sonny Bill and Ma'a have great leg speed, great passing and all the abilities. For us as a team and as a backline it's going to be a big task. It's something we'll look forward to."
In the forwards, Queensland prop James Slipper trained in the starting line-up instead of regular No 1 Benn Robinson, who ran with the reserves.
While Robinson, who started in all three Tests against Wales in June, is regarded as one of the best-scrummaging looseheads in the world, there are concerns about his lack of match fitness, which is why Deans asked him to play for Sydney club Eastwood on Saturday.
Deans may have to weigh up the benefits of Robinson's superior scrimmaging against Slipper's higher work-rate before making a decision about who starts. Hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau did not train because of a knee injury but is expected to start instead of Stephen Moore if he is fit.
Sekope Kepu ran at tighthead prop with Nathan Sharpe and Sitaleki Timani in the second row and David Pocock (openside flanker), Dave Dennis (blindside flanker) and Scott Higginbotham in the back row.

Possible Wallabies team: 15: Kurtley Beale, 14: Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13: Rob Horne, 12: Anthony Fainga'a , 11: Digby Ioane, 10: Berrick Barnes, 9: Will Genia, 8: Scott Higginbotham, 7: David Pocock , 6: Dave Dennis, 5: Nathan Sharpe, 4: Sitaleki Timani, 3: Sekope Kepu, 2: Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1: James Slipper or Benn Robinson

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Well, there goes the Bledisloe for another year. First question at the selection table: "What do we need to do to win?" In order to beat NZ, with a forward pack that will, at best, achieve parity you have to select a team that has flair and imagination in the backline. Say what you like about this backline, flair and imagination are not words you would use to describe their play. We are selecting for a grind-a-thon, with penalties to decide the outcome. This is not a strategy that will lead to a win over NZ, though it might work against SA.

Why, just three weeks before the first test, are we only training three days a week? We should be really training hard, six days a week three weeks out, maybe four or five next week and tapering off in the last week. Its not like we have an established team with a fully known and practised game-book. My theory is that we have come to the end of training for the game plan and the rest is just "play what's in front of you".

Of major concern is that TPN is struggling with a knee injury. With Palu out we have only TPN and Sharpe as recognised ball carriers close in. Higgers is less effective as a runner in close, wider out is his go.

This is looking uglier by the day.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Our backline selections are looking more and more like south african or english ones and a lot less like Australian. A bit stupid when we don't have the forwards to play that style.

We are going to rely very heavily on Genia and Beale to provide any spark in this backline.

T

TOCC

I actually don't think its that bad...

I dont think its a great team, but they could do the job..

J

Jiggles

Too many blokes in that pack who don't do the hard yards. Back-line wont be scoring any tries either. At least this will be the last year of the Deans experiment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The question is....... are Genia, Beale, Pocock and Sharpe good enough to lift this Wallatahs team?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Those centers won't cut it in the least against sbw and nonu IMO. Neither will they against JP and jdv
Backline will be let down there. All the rest are to a great standard. Horne will be brutally exposed. I would rather see taps at 12

Status
Not open for further replies.