• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know he missed his final season but he did start in their 1sts in yr 9 right? He gave them 3 years and I think 3 years of 1sts Bball as well as Track & Field. He got amongst it while there and had a situation in yr 12 that is pretty hard to comprehend with his opportunities.

Look at that kid in QLD Roman Suilepa (if i butchered that sorry) he's been criticised by adults in the media from the Tassie NBL side for participating in School sport....

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
It definitely seems like a lose-lose situation for the kids*. Are we really comfortable with businesses paying school fees for future employees that are like 12 years old? But if you prosecute that argument then are you also comfortable with schools essentially doing the same thing to be culturally relevant with the old boys via scholarships which is the subject of a mega thread on this forum. you could just keep on going.

Aside from the obvious benefits being delivered in the first place.

Mosmanwhale

Stan Wickham (3)

Backintheolddays

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree, silly not to. I'm just saying RA should have known he had signed and picked a player that may be looking to forge a career in rugby.
That's burning our bridges. I'd always like to keep the door open instead. Are we really going to lose the kid that didn't get the opportunity instead? Think I'm in the minority on this one however. Still think talent identification at the 19yo level in NSW is woefully flawed regardless, closely followed by development.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's burning our bridges. I'd always like to keep the door open instead. Are we really going to lose the kid that didn't get the opportunity instead? Think I'm in the minority on this one however. Still think talent identification at the 19yo level in NSW is woefully flawed regardless, closely followed by development.
It's crazy watching the stagnation from 15, 16s, 18s then 19s once they are in the hands of NSW and not the Schools/Clubs which is the case for the younger ones they just put on a Tahs jersey.

Hopefully new set ups and admin change that. At least they are in the system still.

RugbyBot

Allen Oxlade (6)
Totally agree. It’s obvious that Makasani and the other tourists loved the experience and it can only increase the chances they will come back into the fold down the track.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sadly I think we have to Add Onitoni Large to the lost group. I know he didn't feature in these games but he was clearly one of the best talents in the country though injured a bit this year.

Reading through an article about Manly looking at Tanah Boyd at the Titans and it mentions Joe Walsh which was known but also mentions "former Wests Tigers youngster Onitoni Large"

He was in the same boat as Makasini but it still sucks. This kid is a genuine play-maker or centre and Captain of last years NSW 16s. Younger brother playing for NSW 16s.

InsiderScoop

Ward Prentice (10)
Need to get rid of this Cleverley bloke. 2 years in a row now, look again at the U19 Tahs and Brumbies. 90% of those Brumbies boys are from NSW and they just knocked out NSW of the 19s final. Same people getting picked each year needs to change. They should follow Joe Schmidt who has made changes and the Wallabies are somewhat improving.
It's crazy watching the stagnation from 15, 16s, 18s then 19s once they are in the hands of NSW and not the Schools/Clubs which is the case for the younger ones they just put on a Tahs jersey.

Hopefully new set ups and admin change that. At least they are in the system still.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not going to go in on the bloke but I'm also not going to defend him.

It's a hard job doing that for NSW and arguably easier in the ACT when it's about going and shopping for what you need over NSW trying to organise the pantry if you get what I mean.

There's also every chance these positions will change over the next 12 months with the amount of change that has occured through NSW Rugby. It's all changed through the Pros and it will flow down when they have to answer to those above and there is a glaring team that has been exposed.

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
I'm not going to go in on the bloke but I'm also not going to defend him.

It's a hard job doing that for NSW and arguably easier in the ACT when it's about going and shopping for what you need over NSW trying to organise the pantry if you get what I mean.

There's also every chance these positions will change over the next 12 months with the amount of change that has occured through NSW Rugby. It's all changed through the Pros and it will flow down when they have to answer to those above and there is a glaring team that has been exposed.
Agreed - every kid with a chip on his shoulder, having missed out on a Tahs contract already had greater motivation to do well.

The Brumbies have thrived on that for years.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just that drive to smash blokes you know as well. Internal trials use to be some of the hardest games.

Credit to the ACT U19s set up and what they pull together and the way they look like guys that have played together for a couple years and not weeks.

BobbyD

Allen Oxlade (6)
Need to get rid of this Cleverley bloke. 2 years in a row now, look again at the U19 Tahs and Brumbies. 90% of those Brumbies boys are from NSW and they just knocked out NSW of the 19s final. Same people getting picked each year needs to change. They should follow Joe Schmidt who has made changes and the Wallabies are somewhat improving.
Tahs dominate everything in their path in juniors from U15's to U18s. Losing 2 years in a row to Brumbies teams they should beat on paper is a bad look, but given they keep beating Qld it's all hardly pitchforks and burning at the stake stuff.

Once a kid leaves school it's the senior Super Rugby franchise who decide which kid in the academy gets a bit of money and who doesn't. My observation is that the Tahs seem obliged to sign the kid who starred in U18's programme, whilst the Brumbies identify the kid who missed out but has much more physical and tactical upside by the time they will turn 21.

Rugby Survivor

Ted Fahey (11)
Tahs dominate everything in their path in juniors from U15's to U18s. Losing 2 years in a row to Brumbies teams they should beat on paper is a bad look, but given they keep beating Qld it's all hardly pitchforks and burning at the stake stuff.

Once a kid leaves school it's the senior Super Rugby franchise who decide which kid in the academy gets a bit of money and who doesn't. My observation is that the Tahs seem obliged to sign the kid who starred in U18's programme, whilst the Brumbies identify the kid who missed out but has much more physical and tactical upside by the time they will turn 21.
Good point BobbyD. We keep justifying a kid who was identified at U15's and continue to pick him when others by the time they are 18/19 have developed further through physical growth or talent development. The Brumbies can identify talent and put a team together from our supposed rejects. It has been happening since Rod McQueen built the Brumbies through Waratah rejects. Two years in a row those selectors and the coaches have failed to make the final. Changes need to be made.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brums did prove it though last year when they beat NSW again in the final.... It's the last 3 games.

Overall it is a good thing for the Aus 20s as we have more competitive games to genuinely watch the play. Would be good to play 2 rounds in the 19s though. I get the younger ones can't they have School and some will play in the 18s games at the end of the year if they are repeated like last year.

Lady Whistledown

Frank Row (1)
Agreed - every kid with a chip on his shoulder, having missed out on a Tahs contract already had greater motivation to do well.

The Brumbies have thrived on that for years.
Tahs contract is not worth much if you are selected for the squad (and therefore prevented from playing for any other team) but then not given the opportunity to play a game for longer than 15 minutes or not at all....

Lady Whistledown

Frank Row (1)
Good point BobbyD. We keep justifying a kid who was identified at U15's and continue to pick him when others by the time they are 18/19 have developed further through physical growth or talent development. The Brumbies can identify talent and put a team together from our supposed rejects. It has been happening since Rod McQueen built the Brumbies through Waratah rejects. Two years in a row those selectors and the coaches have failed to make the final. Changes need to be made.
I don't have any faith that we will see any sort accountability for U19s Waratahs performance. It's not the players' fault.

Steve_Grey

Bill Watson (15)
Tahs contract is not worth much if you are selected for the squad (and therefore prevented from playing for any other team) but then not given the opportunity to play a game for longer than 15 minutes or not at all....
This looks to be a consistent NSW U19s strategy - prevalent last year when beaten by ACT U19s twice, with NSW choosing an inferior run-on BackRow - sometimes best to be completely discarded so you can play for another State, rather than 'blocked'.