• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

Wicked Left Foot

Frank Nicholson (4)
Makasini definitely signed before the tour. If RA and Mr Cleverley (NSW) did a little research, they would have been aware of this. The average person watching schoolboy rugby was aware he signed weeks ago. It has taken away an opportunity for a genuine union player to tour.
Signs for $1M. Hard for a kid to pass up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wonder if he'll turn out for Newington much next year with it in place now.

JS from memory was missing for Kings in year 12 when Souths had him on the books. Could of been injured....

Did see that 90% of the side has been signed* (to what degree I have no idea) by RA. If true this is a great effort and should be applauded.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Wonder if he'll turn out for Newington much next year with it in place now.

JS from memory was missing for Kings in year 12 when Souths had him on the books. Could of been injured....

Did see that 90% of the side has been signed* (to what degree I have no idea) by RA. If true this is a great effort and should be applauded.

He definitely wasn't injured. It was a t&c of his league contract. Didn't play rugby but was still active around the school.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I remember that Kings side having the greatest school boy water boy of all time.

Did feel for him tbh as plenty of judgement went his way that was wasn't his fault and I'm sure he felt strange amongst his peers. If he'd gone and played he would of been judged like Roman Suilepa in QLD was by bball...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
He definitely wasn't injured. It was a t&c of his league contract. Didn't play rugby but was still active around the school.
That doesnt sit will with me at all. You go to Kings, you fucking play sport in summer and winter - don't let that fluffybunny of game DV dictate what a 150 year old school can do with the co-curricualr activities of their students. mungos...

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree, but I also understand it from JS situation which may be out of his control if he wants to keep his very good contract in place when he's only a kid.

Kings would be very aware of the potential of this when they enrol so I don't feel for the school tbh. They benefit from running him around for 2-3 seasons prior and the constant reference of the School. Haven't seen it happen again at Kings, Scots or Newington who seem to be the big ones for it with NRL sides which is good.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Haven't seen it happen again at Kings, Scots or Newington who seem to be the big ones for it with NRL sides which is good.

Waverley is another one who boasts a lot of league signed talent and we haven’t seen it there.

Isaiya Katoa even played in the “grand final” against Knox in 2022 after being told he had been picked to play for Tonga in the Rugby League World Cup.

It was really really poor from JS to sit out on a school that had given him so much however can’t say I blame him, and I’m sure he would have copped it if he had played too.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
That doesnt sit will with me at all. You go to Kings, you fucking play sport in summer and winter - don't let that fluffybunny of game DV dictate what a 150 year old school can do with the co-curricualr activities of their students. mungos...
In fairness the mungoes were paying his full school fees, and had him on a professional contract. There have been plenty of other examples of kids on pro contracts being able to play sports outside the curriculum - golf, tennis, sailing are a few, plus Hugh Bowman as an apprentice jockey. Also a boy at the same school this year was able to row at the world championships instead of playing rugby, and he was an A's footy player all the way through. 5 boys at Joeys and Riverview did the same thing. Tradition is great, but it's also important to allow the boys to be able to exploit their talent at a young age.

moa999

Johnnie Wallace (23)
same school this year was able to row at the world championships instead of playing rugby
But I think that's just realisation that at the super elite level, sport is not just a one term and done thing, it's a year round pursuit.

And not so different to the various summer rugby programs, as an alternative to cricket or basketball

fortheloveofthegame

Frank Row (1)
Waverley is another one who boasts a lot of league signed talent and we haven’t seen it there.

Isaiya Katoa even played in the “grand final” against Knox in 2022 after being told he had been picked to play for Tonga in the Rugby League World Cup.

It was really really poor from JS to sit out on a school that had given him so much however can’t say I blame him, and I’m sure he would have copped it if he had played too.
The piper’s payer calls the shots. That’s all you need to understand to explain the differences in approach. JS didn’t have a choice, nor did IK.

The wording was key in my view and the word was ‘committed’ and only for 2025. I’m sure those that have another year at school haven’t signed and could still go to league or overseas like some did this year and I’m sure some of that 23 won’t be playing rugby next year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
The wording was key in my view and the word was ‘committed’ and only for 2025. I’m sure those that have another year at school haven’t signed and could still go to league or overseas like some did this year and I’m sure some of that 23 won’t be playing rugby next year.
Natural this will happen and RA shouldn’t sign all of them. Some won’t have an interest in Rugby and some will just be grade players at best.

At least being somewhat proactive about it is a good thing.

fortheloveofthegame

Frank Row (1)
IK was a class act and loved the school. He even showed up to watch the boys play Nudgee earlier this year when they were in Queensland on tour.
I don’t think that is in dispute , JS is widely considered a class act as well and has continued his involvement with Kings since graduating. The reason that IK was always available for Barker and why JS wasn’t is a question of contract not class or passion or anything else. The payer calls the shots.

Last edited:

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
I don’t think that is in dispute , JS is widely considered a class act as well and has continued his involvement with Kings since graduating. The reason that IK was always available for Barker and why JS wasn’t is a question of contract not class or passion or anything else. The payer calls the shots.
The payer also needs to realise that they are not above the school.
You go to a private school - you play sport in summer and winter regardless of whether you are signed to play DV rugby or any sport.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
There's plenty of cases of students not playing a Winter sport because of elite participation in sports like Rowing? Is it different?

It moves into weird territory when these are school students who are making career choices. Your regular student even if they are playing 1sts anything isn't making these so it's hard to correctly criticise their decisions. These decisions are impacting their entire families as well.

If Schools don't want this potential then don't go swimming with the NRL sides. It's the same few Schools with most of them. They own the risk of this like they do the player doing their ACL playing Harold Matthews.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
The payer also needs to realise that they are not above the school.
You go to a private school - you play sport in summer and winter regardless of whether you are signed to play DV rugby or any sport.
I guess you are talking about forcing a student to play a sport. My understanding is that the guy was pretty involved in the school’s extra curricular so I’m not sure that has legs.

If he were on a scholarship for his rugby skills that would be a different matter but how much do you think the roosters/souths cared about the first xv?

It’s one of the most capitalistic things I’ve ever heard of which is yucky when thinking about schooling but ultimately the old boys do not have an argument based on anything other than emotion.