• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Missed this game travelling unfortunately but keen to watch the replay. Stand outs?

Good observation, its a long lost art in Australian rugby “passing off the deck”, nearly all halves stand up skip then pass like George Gregan did. If you don’t pass off the deck in NZ you’ll never play at any high level. Hurts to say (being a Joeys boy) but Grover is a talent
Warms my heart to hear a Joe Boy throw a Iggies player some love. All young 9s should watch Aaron Smith 2013 - 2020. The perfect 9 with his skills and decision making.

Not surprising to hear about Makasini. It was a fairly known and expected thing when in March Shane Richardson was talking about him in the Telegraph as a must retain from their Harold Matthews squad. I would be surprised if the Panthers haven't retained Lemoto.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-10...o-Sua'ali'i-wallabies-junior-talent/104433698

Good article relevant to this conversation.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not a bad write up but it infers that Makasini, Lemoto and co are Rugby only players who are surely going to be League targets after the performance. In reality they are League players that Rugby have the opportunity to court following a strong performance in Union.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think out of that team we will definitely keep the majority of players. The tight five will stay and at least Robinson and Cleverley from the backrow. Grover and Fowler, Goldsbrough and Fittler are locked in. I think Lomoto will be a bigger loss than Makasini but right now he is far more physically developed than his counterparts so will interesting to see how he progresses against men. Although he is the most likely next Valetini.

I thought both hookers defended like madmen, chopping everyone down, and the commentators couldn't stop praising big Will Ross in the 2nd row.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That was just a very enjoyable game to watch - really pleasing to see a young Australian team playing so direct, so well overall. Next-gen NZ players certainly haven't lost the catch-pass skills, though - some really nice work there. Ref was very clear and decisive in his calls, excellent communication - though pretty relaxed about high tackles, as others have mentioned.

And the commentators were great fun! They won't be going any further in NZ with that cavalier attitude to the game though - they gave the impression they enjoyed a good game, even with the Australians winning. Unacceptable.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think out of that team we will definitely keep the majority of players. The tight five will stay and at least Robinson and Cleverley from the backrow. Grover and Fowler, Goldsbrough and Fittler are locked in. I think Lomoto will be a bigger loss than Makasini but right now he is far more physically developed than his counterparts so will interesting to see how he progresses against men. Although he is the most likely next Valetini.

I thought both hookers defended like madmen, chopping everyone down, and the commentators couldn't stop praising big Will Ross in the 2nd row.
He's also most like those Panthers front rowers with great leg speed and dominant in contact.... They tend to keep and bring through the gems out in Penrith these days.

In these sides if 3-4 kick on to long careers it's a positive and 1-2 genuine Wallabies that should be enough if you can replicate it year on year and that's not saying beat NZ every year even though that's the goal. Other players not in this side that wee last year i expect to have big impacts in the future as well are Brial. Strikes me as a better version of Will Harris

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
That was just a very enjoyable game to watch - really pleasing to see a young Australian team playing so direct, so well overall. Next-gen NZ players certainly haven't lost the catch-pass skills, though - some really nice work there. Ref was very clear and decisive in his calls, excellent communication - though pretty relaxed about high tackles, as others have mentioned.

And the commentators were great fun! They won't be going any further in NZ with that cavalier attitude to the game though - they gave the impression they enjoyed a good game, even with the Australians winning. Unacceptable.
The commentators were great weren’t they. Zero skin in the game on cheering for one team over another - just having a blast watching a fun rugby game. Also quite funny how in this and the previous Aus vs NZ Barbarians game Kingsley Uys has become a cult figure for them. Lots of fun.

moa999

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In reality they are League players that Rugby have the opportunity to court following a strong performance in Union.
Think it's a mix.
Most of the good backs have played both codes for years. I mean why wouldn't you - more games, two dips at rep chances and similar skill sets.

Granted there are a few who were only introduced to rugby because their parents decided for some reason to enrol them at certain schools - but as you say at least they have been introduced to the game, even if temporarily.

Mosmanwhale

Stan Wickham (3)
Makasini definitely signed before the tour. If RA and Mr Cleverley (NSW) did a little research, they would have been aware of this. The average person watching schoolboy rugby was aware he signed weeks ago. It has taken away an opportunity for a genuine union player to tour.

runningrugbyrules

Fred Wood (13)
Well that didn’t take long. Makasini has signed a 3 year deal with the Tigers. Won’t be the last out of the winning squad sadly
i still think it’s worth picking these kids, like Sualili we might be able to buy back a bigger, stronger, tougher Makasini for a future World Cup. Having a great experience this week winning with the Wallabies U/18 in NZ (just as SuallilI did) can only help that cause.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the proposition that we try to get up to say half a dozen of these kids into a proper elite system after graduating from the U/18's is a good one. Not everyone is going to step up in the seniors but if we continue to push hard on the development in the under 14/16/18's and couple it with good talent ID and game time, there will be enough quality come through.

I hope that we'll also create enough room in the club system for these guys to graduate and also eventually at least play in a comp where the top premier grade teams across the different states to play each other. That should be the minimum we do in terms of development pathways.

moa999

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Question is what can rugby offer in that 'elite' system.

Remember Sua'ali'i was on a $1.7m/ 3yr Roosters contract from age 17 and pushed into 1st grade before his 18th.
How can rugby offer either the opportunity or $$s??

He will no doubt be brilliant for the Tahs, but at 17 was not ready.

If some NRL clubs want to pay them $s to take the risk on their growth, strength development, or injury proneness so be it

Love2Scrum

Watty Friend (18)
Makasini definitely signed before the tour. If RA and Mr Cleverley (NSW) did a little research, they would have been aware of this. The average person watching schoolboy rugby was aware he signed weeks ago. It has taken away an opportunity for a genuine union player to tour.
The worst kept secret in Aussie schoolboy rugby. This deal done months ago, but kept quiet by the Waratahs & ARU so he could play Aus 18’s.

Is this culture helping or hindering Aussie rugby?

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
i still think it’s worth picking these kids, like Sualili we might be able to buy back a bigger, stronger, tougher Makasini for a future World Cup. Having a great experience this week winning with the Wallabies U/18 in NZ (just as SuallilI did) can only help that cause.
I agree. And looking at his most recent Instagram post, he had a blast too. Which can only increase our chances of him wanting to return down the track.

JackJill

Ward Prentice (10)
Union is still an attractive product, RA seem to not sell it well enough though. Super Rugby is needs some funding, and whether that comes from possible Japanese integration or not, it may see a resurgence, especially since the Rebels are gone and it's talent is spread amongst teams.

What Union holds that League doesn't is international popularity. A Union world cup is huge and a dream for kids all around the world. A World Cup which holds 20 or so of the best teams in the world in one country generates an unfathomable amount of revenue and an unreal experience for the players. It absolutely shits on the pathetic Rugby League World Cup where the Kangaroos beat every team by 20+.

There's opportunities for the Wallabies, and rugby as a whole, to contest with Rugby League (who probably will never make it out of the Pacific) and return to national strength, but it begin with pathways and selling it to juniors who hold the opportunity to chose both.

Rugby Survivor

Ted Fahey (11)
RA does not have the money to offer these kids that Rugby League has. Next year he would be playing Colts and running around in a U20's Gen Blue program. He would not be playing at the higher level of Super Rugby.
I agree let him go and develop and make a name for himself. If he has a good manager like Sualili does then they will come back to Rugby as they know there is more money internationally that he can earn.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Question is what can rugby offer in that 'elite' system.

Remember Sua'ali'i was on a $1.7m/ 3yr Roosters contract from age 17 and pushed into 1st grade before his 18th.
How can rugby offer either the opportunity or $$s??

He will no doubt be brilliant for the Tahs, but at 17 was not ready.

If some NRL clubs want to pay them $s to take the risk on their growth, strength development, or injury proneness so be it
So the Roosters with Sualli is different to Jorgensen in which way?. Similar money, similar age, similar contract length

The Blin6side

Darby Loudon (17)
Learnt a fact today that surprised me… Gregory Terrace, Brisbane City have produced both the current u18 and current Wallabies captain. Tom Robinson and Harry Wilson. Impressive stuff.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Learnt a fact today that surprised me… Gregory Terrace, Brisbane City have produced both the current u18 and current Wallabies captain. Tom Robinson and Harry Wilson. Impressive stuff.
Robinson Seemed a Great Skip against both NZ sides... anyone know the details of his affiliation with the reds?