• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I understand the PONI idea and it has always existed in some capacity or accronym. With limited resources we need to hold who we identify. There will always be difference of opinion on who should be there.

A positive thing about 12 missing out (some through injury) is the fact players are being picked on recent play and not just because your in the PONI system. The net widens and the selectors are doing their job. Lazy ones would just make a XV out of that squad and that be that.

From a NSW supporter POV I want that no.1 and Goddard from the U19s locked up long term. The natural monsters in the front don't grow on trees and NSW didn't get onto a guy like Blake Schoupp once before.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
From a NSW supporter POV I want that no.1 and Goddard from the U19s locked up long term. The natural monsters in the front don't grow on trees and NSW didn't get onto a guy like Blake Schoupp once before.
Uys is from Qld and still in year 11 i think. With Goddard, Uys and Delutiis in Qld the Wallabies have some real, very large, front row talent coming through.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Uys being that young is a hell of an achievement to be in the Front Row.

De Luttis seems the best genuine prospect since Bell. TT is an outlier freak of nature who I wish was 3-4 inches taller and an 8 but he's a powerlifter we have in the front row.

Great to see some genuine Props and not just the big kid who then gets dished up at this stage.

Hooker is still an issue. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Props move into the centre. We just don't have those Hookers with a bit more size right now. The Moore size guys at 6'2, 110-112kg. We have a heap of 6ft 100-105kg blokes.

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)

De Luttis seems the best genuine prospect since Bell. TT is an outlier freak of nature who I wish was 3-4 inches taller and an 8 but he's a powerlifter we have in the front row.

Great to see some genuine Props and not just the big kid who then gets dished up at this stage.

Hooker is still an issue. Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Props move into the centre. We just don't have those Hookers with a bit more size right now. The Moore size guys at 6'2, 110-112kg. We have a heap of 6ft 100-105kg blokes.
Lipina Ata is a solid unit and maybe Langi could shift in, big boy and former backrower.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ata can throw pretty well from what I remember seeing him for Newington at Hooker.

Langi needs persistent time in the Front Row to nail it. He has the natural size but having been in the second row for Kings quite a bit no doubt slowed his development in the technical parts of the game and just pure reps. He relied on being able to lean through other props over winning the battle. That won't be as easy now but he has the unteachable part of mass there.

WoodysRFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
Uys is from Qld and still in year 11 i think. With Goddard, Uys and Delutiis in Qld the Wallabies have some real, very large, front row talent coming through.
Sheesh, year 11 you say? So there's still some growing in the lad, he was an absolute weapon, possibly one of the most promising front rowers I've ever seen.

Mule

Ted Fahey (11)

Why do hookers need to be taller and heavier??!! No 1 job is accurate lineout throwing, then I’d love some Keven Mealamu clones who can be hard on the ball and get a few pilfer turnovers (we don’t need 8 massive ball runners…)

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Generally because the game is getting bigger and the entertainment of contact doesn't last with the light weight ones. Mealamu was 110kg+ his whole career. 6'2 might be a stretch... but 6ft is probably the sweet spot. The Adam Freier, Tom Horton type can only take you so far.

Seems most of the Hookers throwing hasn't been a focus anyway and that's all the way to the Wallabies.

Not a fan of Oniti Finau?
Good player. Didn't think of him as he was injured a large chunk wasn't he? Bad lower leg break?

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
About the same as keeping Lomoto. Buckleys and f**k all. I cant see how a contract like Fittler's is appealing to them. Bugger all money to be semiprofessional and play colts.
Agree. Especially when they play well... Lemoto loosk like all the modern top NRL Props with his speed into contact and ability to offload. Was with Penrith and he looks like another off their production line. Makasini was spoken of throughout the year by the Tigers as one of the bright talents of the future.

They are with the side I can only assume because they haven't yet signed a deal like Joe Walsh (Manly) did or Mitch Woods (Bulldogs).

Hope we maintain a good relationship with player, family and agents because they are only 17,18 years old and will be up for contracts again by the time they are 20,21 and Rugby should have the ability to be part of those negotiations. The likes of Rocky Elsom, Wyclif Palu all had a dabble in the dark arts before coming back to the light.

Last edited:

Homer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree. Especially when they play well... Lemoto loosk like all the modern top NRL Props with his speed into contact and ability to offload. Was with Penrith and he looks like another off their production line. Makasini was spoken of throughout the year by the Tigers as one of the bright talents of the future.

They are with the side I can only assume because they haven't yet signed a deal like Joe Walsh (Manly) did or Mitch Woods (Bulldogs).

Hope we maintain a good relationship with player, family and agents because they are only 17,18 years old and will be up for contracts again by the time they are 20,21 and Rugby should have the ability to be part of those negotiations. The likes of Rocky Elsom, Wyclif Palu all had a dabble in the dark arts before coming back to the light.
I could be wrong but i believe they are too young to sign a league deal yet.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I could be wrong but i believe they are too young to sign a league deal yet.
Your'e correct.

"Under current rules, NRL clubs can only sign players to a full-time top-30 or development contract at the age of 18, preventing them from playing NRL until they're adults. But train-and-trial deals can be formalised as long as a player is 17 on November 1."

I'm sure they are sitting on the Managers desk inside the birthday card.